[360, PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Looks Great !

I need to know something. I have never played a COD game on the consoles, bought all of them on the PC. I recently played the COD:WAW demo on my ps3, and the visual quality was terrible :( ! No AA, did not look like 720p ata ll, very very blurry, and pixelated textures on the ground, I was surprised, as I had believed that COD4 looked great on the consoles, and since this was based on the same engine, I was thinking this would look even better.

Does COD4:MW(on consoles) also look like the COD:WAW demo?
I had played the COD4 on PC, and the visual quality was brilliant.

Does the COD:WAW demo have lower IQ than COD4:MW? or is this how blurry and low res CODs are on the consoles :( ?

Please respond , as I was thinking of getting MW2 on the ps3, as that is where all my friends are. Playing it on the PC does give me the best visuals, but MP can get boring withjout friends.

Personally, I thought WaW looked at least as good as MW, and I thought both games looked pretty good.

I think you'll generally be disappointed with the console version if you've come from the PC version.

Not sure what you've played RenegadeRocks, but CoD5 (on PS3) looks at least as good as CoD4. Maybe the demo was from an older unfinished build, I really don't know. I wouldn't expect MW2 to look much better though - I think I'd be happy if it looks the same and features the same smooth gameplay/framerate.

Hmmm........that means COD4 looks like COD5 :( ! Kinda shocker for me, as the PC version felt brilliant,especially the "In the Ghille" level was approaching photographic qualities. I was under the impression that the game looks equally sharp on the consoles.

I don't think the demo is from an older build Phil, as the demo was released last week. Will be a very difficult decision for me then, coz I am sure all the Screens released will be from the PC version, and I won't know what the ps3 version will look like.

Do you have links to any screen that are confirmed console screens for COD4 or 5?

I haven't seen any PC screens, but that it will look better is a given. To be honest, if you're used to console graphics, you should alright. I don't know about you, but after a while, you tend to get used to the graphics anyway. As long as it runs smooth and fluid, it should be more than alright. Besides, CoD still looks good IMO, eventhough it might be lacking in resolution or textures. The lighting, animation and art-direction makes up for a lot.

And I'd argue that this game will be great for the multiplayer anyway. If you have many friends that play on the PS3, you should definately get it. I know I will... :)

This looks pretty wicked. Do you think it's PC or console? http://fidgit.com/archives/2009/07/modern_warfare_2_multiplayer.php

In my eyes, the graphics look considerably improved, which is why I'm thinking it's PC. Also, customizable killstreaks is awesome.

Thats the Xbox 360 version...D-Pad & X,Y buttons are visible.
And so far neither of the COD games on PC have support for 360 controller like other games which changes the button layout to the ones in controller [unless ofcourse they dropped in the support for the controller this time around]

Thats the Xbox 360 version...D-Pad & X,Y buttons are visible.
And so far neither of the COD games on PC have support for 360 controller like other games which changes the button layout to the ones in controller [unless ofcourse they dropped in the support for the controller this time around]

We will have to wait for a better quality video to judge whether its the PC version or X360 version. Right now the compression artifacts are masking the texture quality completely. I can't tell whether the texture is actually low res or if the compression in making it look that way.

EDIT: if they can provide a true 720p this time, I can live with low res textures. Atleast, the game will look clean, not blurry. PC versions are anyways dirt cheap in my country, I can grab that any time.

These kill streak bonuses seem way overpowered, thankfully im usually recieving these bonuses, rather than being a victim of them.

Really ! Someone at another forum was saying IW has promised true 720p this time :( !

hm... well I should have said that the stuff that's been released so far haven't been 720p, not that I expect them to change the resolution towards the end of development though...

:) Fair enough, but for a performance sensitive development, I would be pleasantly surprised if they switched up to 720p. Targeting sub-720p for so long at least gives them experience in what they can pack into the levels for a more stable 60fps experience.

And on 360, they would have to deal with tiling if they intend on utilizing AA... a non-trivial consideration this late in the game for a single platform.

I'm not really an advocat of sub 720p resolutions, but in light of CoD, I'd rather have that then something below 60 fps. Besides, I don't think anyone really noticed too much playing CoD4 - or at least it's something you tend to forget easily when immersed into the game...

:) Fair enough, but for a performance sensitive development, I would be pleasantly surprised if they switched up to 720p. Targeting sub-720p for so long at least gives them experience in what they can pack into the levels for a more stable 60fps experience.

And on 360, they would have to deal with tiling if they intend on utilizing AA... a non-trivial consideration this late in the game for a single platform.

No, no I was agreeing with you. A resolution discovered during development has never been changed at release :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not really an advocat of sub 720p resolutions, but in light of CoD, I'd rather have that then something below 60 fps. Besides, I don't think anyone really noticed too much playing CoD4 - or at least it's something you tend to forget easily when immersed into the game...

Indeed...I play COD4 competitively on PC even today on a daily basis & I can very well tell that the ground & other textures in this game are avg. to bad & the competitive mod on which we play [Pro mod] strips the game off from most of its graphical capabilities like Shadows,Particles & what not.

But in the end I notice it for like the first 5 minutes the day I played it for the first time & then those thoughts NEVER came back into my mind. I am pretty sure that its the same case with the console version's sub HD reso as well. Atleast the console players are not the guys who play the game with no shadows,particles & special effects :p

AlStrong, how do you tell just by looking at the trailer? I'm curious how you do it. I haven't see the videos yet.

Oh, slightly off topic, but does anyone remember what's the resolution for COD3 on the 360 and PS3? Were they both of the same, or was it different? I recall one or both of them didn't run at 720p.

Back