360 Arcade, Elite, Premium, and Pro discontinued on Amazon (New SKU at GDC?!)

That's the official line.

Well thats always the official line, but you have to think something else is up because predicting demand for January in the 3rd year to be lower than the first 2 just seems silly when you consider the more advanced library and lower price.

Well thats always the official line, but you have to think something else is up because predicting demand for January in the 3rd year to be lower than the first 2 just seems silly when you consider the more advanced library and lower price.

Exactly, underestimated or unexpected demand isn't an answer that passes the smell test.

I wasn't aware they were down to one out of three manufacturers. That seems absurd to me, if anything, should the trend be in the opposite direction? As the process is fleshed out, they should be easier and cheaper to manufacture and more manufacturers should then be able to replicate the process. I'd think you might start with only a few manufacturers that were capable (insert RRoD joke here), but as the process matured, you'd be able to expand to others.

In any event, to answer my original question, it seems like we don't really know what is responsible for the shortages, eh?

Exactly, underestimated or unexpected demand isn't an answer that passes the smell test.

I wasn't aware they were down to one out of three manufacturers. That seems absurd to me, if anything, should the trend be in the opposite direction? As the process is fleshed out, they should be easier and cheaper to manufacture and more manufacturers should then be able to replicate the process. I'd think you might start with only a few manufacturers that were capable (insert RRoD joke here), but as the process matured, you'd be able to expand to others.

In any event, to answer my original question, it seems like we don't really know what is responsible for the shortages, eh?

Actually I can understand why MS didn't plan for a uptick in holiday sales.

MS has experience relatively stable holiday sales of their console platforms. The Xbox routinely sold ~1.4 million in the US every holiday with the exception of the Halo 2 release and the sharp decrease due to the 360's release. The 360's first holiday season at full availability still only lead to 1.5 million in sales, which leads into my next point.

The 360 sold 2 million consoles in the US over the holiday 07, which is about 500K over last Christmas 06. The 1.5 million Christmas 06 figure was produced with Sony and Nintendo limited to offering just 1.7 million consoles combined over Nov and Dec. Christmas 07 represented a holiday season where the PS3 and Wii would be fully available (for wii that turned out to false). Added competition meant accomplishing 1.5 million would be harder for holiday 07 never mind moving 2 million.

Additionally, not many predicted the level of demand that would be generated by COD4, AC, GH3, Rockband, ME and others. In a lot of people eyes, COD4, AC and Rockband sold well above expectation and along with other 360 titles created unprecedented demand for the 360 platform during Christmas 07.

Furthermore in MS eyes the Halo release right before the holiday season may have represented a conundrum. An event that bolsters holiday software sales but potentially cannabilizes hardware sales. Having Halo3 on the shelf for the holiday season is a big plus but at the same time 500K+ consoles were sold in Sept as a result which meant less potential consumers for the holiday season.

dobwal, all of that may be true, but surely it doesn't take more than a couple of weeks to ramp up production in response to a surge of sales. People who buy Xbox 360's today are getting units built in mid-January. What was the problem in mid-January? Surely it wasn't just a planning problem. I'm guessing something like parts availability, or retooling for a new SKU, or stockpiling for a GTA4 price cut perhaps?

Ok back on topic please.

All I ask is you treat others here with the same level of respect you hope to receive in return.

That can be done.
The double thread did not appear to me.
I thought it was a limit on new members, and apologize if there was more than one.
The first FutureCTO post there noted this trouble.

My posts must be trying to hard to make their point.
All the detailed are intended to support the position that either....
1. Microsoft will discontinue making HDDless models in order to extend Xbox360's life.
2. Or they will have to release a new Xbox around 2009 or 2010.

I will consider titles for a thread that allows topical freedom and clearly states my Bias.
(Mostly stemming from the Dual Shock verses Immersion fallout.)

Now I'll explain the cause of the stock shortage.
Which frankly will sound like more Microsoft bashing to some.
But when someone leaves for the competition, the decision is usually better benefits.

I not only know why, I predicted it on Nov. 15th 2007 to happen during Christmas vacation.
However Playstation 3 globally outperformed Xbox360 during those two weeks.
And Xbox360 underperformed compared to their previous holiday sales growth.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?con...All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&start=38662&end=39446

You and other members hear are correct.
Microsoft is lying to the public claiming it as "unexpected sales", just as they did with December's Live issues.
Rather than admit it was in fact an easily predicted shortage.
(Hell, I predicted and don't have any connection to them.)

Xbox360 shortages Reality Check,
Wistron, Their Number One and second Longest running console manufacturer abandoned them to make Wii consoles.

This indicates two things.
1. That the Wii is more profitable to make.
2. That the manufacturer felt it was a better choice in the long run.
The weight of Wistron's decision is not to be underestimated.

Wistron has been manufacturing Xbox consoles since the first Xbox generation.
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2002/sep02/09-02wistronpr.mspx
However they produced the most consoles, so they suffered higher contractual penalty fees for RROD.

Rather than produce Xbox360 through Christmas as Microsoft and many other analysts had expected, they simply dumped making the Xbox360 the moment they were not longer under their MS contract. That is a technical fact, not my Bias.

Coincidentally, notice that the always out of stock Wii console jumped by nearly 800,000 units in sales during that time. Wistron was making 1 Million Xbox360's a month. So this is just a guess. But it may be that Wistron's Wii shortage cavalry shipped its first month of Wii production at that time.

Here are my previous posts on this topic, 2 months before NPD and Microsoft's PR lying to the public.
http://journal.pcvsconsole.com/?thread=23097

xbox 360 just lost one of its primary manufacturing contractors.
Because of the same game Microsoft played with nVidia on the first Xbox.
Every time Microsoft cuts the price it goes to its OEM's and demands they do the same. "Why can't you be more understanding? We all have to do this for the betterment of the whole. By doing this you will be able to say you helped make us successful." The thing is even after the contractor agrees they keep coming back and asking for more. It's like a kid abusing a privilege. Instead of eating a few chocolates, they empty the bowl every visit. (I am told, Japanese business people are more polite about these things.)

Anyhow. The contractor was responsible for roughly 40% of their total Xbox360 production and had the highest reliability record of the three main contracts. Now the other two contractors will try to pick up the slack. (Or in business terms; soak up the over-time and bonuses.) Still it will be a lower combined volume than before. Plus this news comes as Christmas shelves are waiting to being stocked.

There will likely be an Xbox 360 shortage this Christmas.
While other companies benefit from the shelf space.
Lookout out eBay.

Here are some better details.
The Company leaving is named Wistron (Winstron). Their head quarters is in Taipei.

Manufacturing:
http://www.wistron.com/pages/manufacturing/manufacturing.htm
And a very strong Supply Chain:
http://www.wistron.com/pages/manufacturing/supply_chain_management.htm

Back in May of this year, reports from Economic Daily News and DigiTimes stated that the Wistron Corporation would gradually discontinue the production of Xbox 360 consoles in 2008. Now, market sources are confirming that the discontinuation has come a bit earlier than expected, and Wistron has completely phased out Xbox 360 production, ending its six year cooperation with Microsoft.

Citing low margins, Wistron gives up its 40 percent share of shipments to Flextronics, now taking the majority of Xbox 360 orders with 60 percent. Celestica Inc. remains as a second manufacturer.

According to Microsoft, Wistron manufactured consoles in its Zhongshan, China facility, providing services for the original Xbox and Xbox 360 from parts to final packaged product, including parts procurement, assembly and integration, testing, and final box build.

http://gamerush.zoomshare.com/files/news/002448_Microsoft_loses_Xbox_360_manufacturer.htm

Somewhat ironic that when the China facility opened many forums had quality concerns like, "OMG, China quality!" But so far as the red circle threads go I haven't seen anyone note problems from Wistron's China models. Probably because Wistron was doing a very good job. An idea supported by them making the first Xbox for the past 6 years.

Still checking on the company they will no doubt be fine.
They are poised to increase their laptop production for Dell, HP and Acer.
http://www.businessweek.com/it100/2006/18.htm

The slim margin laptop market must offer better margins than Microsoft. Yikes.

Here are some older articles and links:
Microsoft to update Xbox 360 CPU with 65nm tech April 21, 2006
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=16267
Winstron aims to produce 1m Xbox 360s a month April 19, 2006
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=16197
Winstron Ramps-Up 360 Production Apr 20, 2006
http://weblogs.variety.com/eeg_news/2006/04/winstron_rampsu.html

Here is the nail in the Coffin. I said that apparently Japanese business people are more polite about these things. I didn't know how true it was.

September 6, 2007
The Taiwanese contract manufacturer is breaking free. Spun off from Acer in 2001, Wistron will expand its business with Dell thanks to an order for next year's model notebooks. Later this year Wistron will start churning out Wii consoles for Nintendo, adding to the lcd televisions, gps systems and pdas it already makes for companies such as Sony.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/37/biz_07fab50_Wistron_SDWV.html

Wistron stopped making Xbox360 and will change over to Wii production!
They were making 1 Million Xbox360 a month. Wii is smaller and simplier to make.
Wii may very much benefits from this change.

Just a note about manufacturers: Sony chose AsusTek for its consoles.

Here is another update.

MS pressuring Taiwan on Xbox 360 repairs, prices?

Microsoft is creating problems in Taiwan based on recent moves with its Xbox 360 game console, according to separate reports. Although the company already promised this summer to repair overheating models for free for up to three years, a new claim suggests the American firm is now cracking down on Taiwan repair centers and forcing increased scrutiny of Xboxes before they are returned to their owners. Microsoft is concerned that systems may either be modified during the repair processs to allow pirated games or that some systems may not need repair at all, the report notes. As a result, repairs that would normally have taken a week now allegedly require a full month and are causing frustration with gamers and retailers alike. ...

http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/11/14/xbox.360.taiwan.pressure/

The freaky part is the repair delays. Why the heck would it take that long?
Suppose they must have been hot wiring points together.
Now to avoid defeating the DRM they have to replace defective circuits.

More of the story can be found by following the link.
The rest of the website is very much worth checking out too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uhh... What?

Ok, so you've provided links that say that one of their manufacturers ceased making units. The links to messages authored by you in other forums impress nobody and are irrelevant for this discussion.

You've also failed to determine the cause for the end of the relationship with Winstron, and in fact, have supplied enough evidence to jump to the possible conclusion that it was poor quality control on Winstron's part that lead to the recalls and repairs.

It's clear you have a bias, and I thought that Graham made it clear that fanboy statements such as "the PS3 globally outperformed the 360 during that period" which is completely irrelevant, aren't appreciated here.

How does the performance of the PS3 relate, at all, to shortages of the 360? It doesn't.

You've also failed to demonstrate how manufacturing Wii consoles are more profitable for Winstron than it is for them to manufacture 360s.

I simply don't understand that leap of logic. Both consoles are clearly in scarce supply, and both Nintendo and MS clearly need to get as many consoles as possible into the supply chain. Do you want us to believe that because the Wii is cheaper and easier to manufacture, they can increase profits producing the Wii instead of the 360 because the quality control on the Wii doesn't meet the strict demands of the quality control on a truly advanced system like the 360?

From the obvious biased slant of your rants, I'm sure that's not the conclusion you had hoped one would draw, but it's the only one that fits the information you are providing.

And none of this explains why MS didn't expect the 360 to sell as it did and their party line of 'unexpected demand'.

The 360 sold 230,000 units in January. 1.2M in Dec, 770,000 in Nov, 366,000 in Oct, 528,000 in Sep, and 277,000 in August.

Why would MS expect the 360 to sell LESS units in January (and therefore creating the existing shortages) than the console sold August?

It makes no sense at all, and the loss of a single Taiwan manufacturer doesn't explain it. MS knew their contract was coming to an end, MS knew that manufacturer had quality control issues.

The idea that MS was planning for January sales of LESS than the 230,000 units (which resulted in the shortages) is just unbelievable by any measure of reality.

The only claim I can conclude from your rants and multiple links is that MS has put the lid on quality control because of their previous failures in that regard and as such have lost manufacturing partners who are capable of meeting their new standards.

While that is a possibility, I would think that two and a half years of manufacturing the console would have provided enough of Q&A map in order to let even most incompetent manufacturers reliably produce the console.

As was pointed out earlier they no longer sell the HOLIDAY Bundle, Amazon does in fact sell the regular 360 skus, however, they seem to have an estimated in-stock date of 29FEB08, unless I am misunderstanding what you are trying to say.

Yes that would answer the question and the rumors.
They were out of stock and used an unusual place holder. ("discontinued"?)

Thank you for clearing the mystery.

Sure. Who says they did?

They sold 250,000 in year one january, 294,000 in year 2, but only 230,000 in year 3 supposedly due to shortages due to greater than anticipated demand.

So I guess you could say MS said they did.

In fact, I'm seeing post-holiday-bundle consoles in the stores with a manufactured date of February 2008. So they are literally going from the factory straight into customer hands in 20 days or less (i.e. probably not by boat). Obviously there is some kind of bottleneck and some urgent attempts to address it.

In fact, I'm seeing post-holiday-bundle consoles in the stores with a manufactured date of February 2008. So they are literally going from the factory straight into customer hands in 20 days or less (i.e. probably not by boat). Obviously there is some kind of bottleneck and some urgent attempts to address it.

That bottleneck would be that Wistron made 40% of all Xbox360 consoles that were on the shelves.
Because that manufacturer left abruptly, the other two could only make up 20% of the missing volume.
Until they open new assembly plants Microsoft Xbox360 volume will be running on short legs.

They were at 60%, then 70%, and are now probably at 85% of previous volume.

they have moved keyboards, mice, routers, or any and all hardware sales to the gaming division.
Additionally the new name includes all Entertainment… Such as MSN Games, Music, Pictures,
Then there is this funny little group called: "Online Services Business” that lost $510 Million in that same six month period.

Can anyone confirm this, especially the last bit is interesting regarding "online services". Regarding MSN, Music (Zune?), "Pictures" and hardware, did anything there ever make money? I mean, wouldnt it just prove that the 360 is making money since they must be losing money on the Zune.

The money "shuffle" that Microsoft does is a known Quantity, they have a tendency to spread out one quarters earnings over several quarters, so i wouldn´t be surprised if they did the same with Halo 3.

A tip to FutureCTO, when you post use more restraint or you will be gone to quick. Use links and quotes to back up your claims. If you say "MS hired journalists to badmouth Sony" it would be nice with just a shred of evidence, yes i think they bought some Viral muscle power myself or maybe the internet is just like Lemmings but evidence would be nicer. If you dont backup your posts it looks like stupid attacks that are useless.

duty_calls.png

And remember to get some sleep :)

They sold 250,000 in year one january, 294,000 in year 2, but only 230,000 in year 3 supposedly due to shortages due to greater than anticipated demand.

So I guess you could say MS said they did.

I could also say they had predicted January spot on but December went 'wrong'.

Is it really that far fetched?

Interesting read, as far as facts and links are provide discussion is always interesting.
One little question from where did you know futurecto that the bom of the 360 is around an half of the retail price.
So 175$ if we consider the pro sku
or 135$ if we consider the arcade sku
A HHD must cost between 20 and 25 $, so I would sau 175$ and MS make less money on the arcade SKU.

Anyway it doesn't dismiss your points (not mine) but I just show curiosity ;)

if MS really wanted to find a way to hide losses they'd just offload into the OS division where they would be buried in a massive pile of profit.

Back