When did this new Logitech mouse come out?

*hugs G9 dearly*

Sorry, I now have an aversion to FPSing on sleekly curved contours. The G500 is fantastic for the G5/7 dudes/dudettes, but other than that I would still recommend a G9/9x for non-macro users. The wide grip sucks (G5 with more sensitivity and uglier), but the control grip makes it a mouse in its own league, even for fast paced games like TF2 (Medic) and Audiosurf.

As for the 500, looks like Logi got enough complaints to revert back. I might be in the minority!

p/s: G9 is also substantially cheaper at Amazon, $50. Shockedat the discount percentage!

I like the shape of the G500 though, looks very similar to the Revo that I'm used to so it shouldn't be much of a switch. (I'm very comfortable with the Revo, just want to compare it to a wired mouse)

PS - Yeah, Amazon has some rocking good mouse prices! It's weird too, if you follow them for a few weeks they have some extreme up/downs...you can get some extremely good buys if your timing is good. :)

MS have brought out a range of gaming mice, havnt tried them but for a software company they make some fine hardware

The thumb buttons on the Sidewinder x8 actually look usable now (tried the old one in the shop and couldn't find a way to use them which wasn't going to end in excruciating pain). Although it's double the price of the one you linked.

I really really like my Microsoft Habu ... but I can't in good conscience recommend it. (Huge amount of people had cable breaks, mine had a loose bit of metal inside and I had to put a piece of cardboard beneath the thumb switch DIP switch for it to work reliably.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. I gave up looking for a bargain priced wired gaming mouse a while ago, I don't want to "settle" on a mouse I want to get one I want, just gotta find it. I'm not at all unhappy with my Revo, in fact quite the opposite...but I really want a wired mouse just to compare the two types.

I looked at the Mamba, but it meh'd me for some reason...although I will admit I've considered the Naga a bit just for all the buttons. :oops:

Considered and dismissed, it looks like too much of a gimmick to be a good mouse for me. I think I want one that feels like my Revo, which is why the G500 got me so excited. I'm too used to the Revo's flywheel and I love it, this is the first wired gamer I've seen with it. :)

Same, I cannot live without the free spinning flywheel on the Logitech mice. Everytime I have to scroll through web pages or lots of photo's with a traditional click by click mouse wheel...AAAUUUUGGGHHHHH. And then when you need it, just clicky button and turns into a traditional click by click for more precise scrolling.

That said, Logitech snuck out the Performance MX recently that I think I may have to buy. basically take the MX revolution, ditch the charging cradle, and add a mini USB port on the front to charge it with.

Not as elegant and nifty as the magnetic Microsoft charging cable, but works just as well. Now just waiting to see what store has a sale on it first that also has Bing Cashback. :p

Added to that it supposedly also works on clear glass surfaces. Perfect for my fingerprint magnet glass computer desk that I regret buying. :p

Regards,
SB

Yeah. :) The only thing that appears to be missing and exists only in the MX Revolution is on the fly change betwenn click mode and flywheel mode for the wheel. In some programs (photo viewers for instance) I have it setup to start in click mode. If I spin the wheel fast it auto switches to free spin mode. And once I stop scrolling auto switches back to click mode.

Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be implemented in any other Logitech mouse using the flywheel.

Still, i think I can live without. As is, I have 2 MX Revolutions for my desktop. One in use, while one charges. :D Because I'm REALLY bad at remembering to put the mouse in the charging cradle when I'm done for the day.

Almost got the MS mouse for the magnetic charging cord, but now that the Performance MX is here. Well, that'll do. :) And can't wait to see how it works on a clear glass tabletop.

Oh, damn I just noticed it doesn't have the side wheel of the MX Revolution which I use to control volume and mute. /cry. Something I'll have to get used to.

Regards,
SB

Well, just got the Performance MX, and it's quite nice.

First impressions.

1. Changeable rechargeable battery is back. That was one of my major beefs with the MX Revolution. It takes one standard rechargeable AA battery.
2. Sensitivity is higher than the MX Revolution. Setting mouse speed 2 notches down exactly matches how the Revolution felt for me.
3. No automatic flywheel - click mode as suspected. :( And the button to manually change the function feels a bit flimsy.
4. AMAZINGLY, tracks perfectly on a clear glass desk. I have no idea how it's doing this. First thing you'll note is that it doesn't use traditional mouse "laser" and CCD to do tracking. If you put your hand under it, there is no visible light.

Tracks just as well on perfectly clear glass (with nothing under it) as it does on a gaming mouse board.

5. Miss the side wheel that the MX Revolution has. :(
6. Can use it right out of the box while it charges using the USB charging cable. Having a cord still annoys me however, but at least I can live with just one mouse again.

[edit] Not sure if the cable is even going to be an option for me. Reminding me all the time why I absolutely HATE cables on mice. Constantly snagging on the desk (friction), edge of mousepad, pens, monitor stand, edge of desk, etc...argh.

Also, not sure how long it takes for the mouse to go to sleep/standby mode, but once it does, it takes a fraction of a second to come out of it. Very noticeable compared to the MX Revolution when I step away to make something to eat and come back a couple mins later. Hasn't entered standby while in use, thankfully. :p Gah, went into standy while I was typing this update. So maybe a minute or two minutes?

Regards,
SB

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, one other thing I don't like about it compared to the MX revolution. The forward/back thumb buttons are located too high for easy use. Added to that they are located above the curve of the side making it even more annoying to use them.

On the plus side the thumb "zoom" button is easily accessed, but requires a firmer push to activate than I would have liked.

The bottom thumb buttom is quite nice also, just wish it was located a little more in towards where the thumb rests so you don't have to move your thumb as much to reach it.

All the above buttons have already been remapped. :p I do like the logitech application switcher though. It shows all open applications in miniature tiled view across all monitors. It's pretty slick. Not something I'd use (task bar is fine for me) but pretty slick none-the-less.

Regards,
SB

I have an mx510 with the feet worn off that is getting a bit long in the tooth. This thread is good to see what new stuff is around.

Yeah, once I get some time, I'm going to have to find a review that explains this "darkfield" technology this is using. Using it on a clear glass tabletop is saving a bit of wear and tear on the mouse feet. And tracks just as well and moves even more smoothly than on my gaming mouse board.

Battery life with just 1x AA rechargeable batter is pretty darn impressive. Going on 3 days of heavy use now and battery is still showing good charge status. The MX Revolution by constrast would get 1 day of heavy use before it would hit low and need recharging.

Pretty impressive. Although I still prefer the "wheel" button on the side and thumb button layout of the MX revolution. I'll get used to it though.

Regards,
SB

Back