Looking for the perfect headset for gaming

Phil

wipEout bastard
Veteran
So, my headset broke last night. It was a Logitech (cordless) Vantage:

logitech-vantage-headset.jpg

This was IMO a brilliant headset. Fully charged, I was able to get at least (EDIT:) 10+ hours (I'm pretty sure it was more than this) of gaming time with it - quality was IMO quite good, both mic and headphone speaker producing good quality.

The other plus was that it was quite comfortable to use during such long gaming-sessions.

Well, now that it has broke, I'm wondering - what headset should I replace that one with?

The Logitech Vantage isn't sold anymore - or it would be quite difficult to find one, so I though this topic may attract some thoughts from any happy users of different headsets. Or maybe, seeing that the PS3 supports just about *any* bluetooth capable accessory, would you opt to get a mobile-headset? I have quite good experience with my Plantronics Voyager Pro (though I never tried it on my PS3).

I would ask to only post thoughts on headsets when you have first hand experience though - or if not, to at least link to some good review or something.

I know that there are headsets out there that are simply not very good. A friend of mine bought himself a PS3 a couple of months ago and to celebrate him into the team of MW3 nuts, I bought him a headset at our local game-store. I'm gutted to say, it was shit. The quality may be quite okay, but I think he only gets about 4-5 hours of game time on it. That's quite bad, considering we have game sessions of 6-8 hours at times.

So yeah, any help, stories, ideas would be greatly appreciated! Or links to reviews etc.

Bring it on! :D

EDIT: Corrected some stats - the Logitech Cordless Vantage apparently can go on for nearly 12 hours non-stop (fully charged). I have no reason not to believe this figures - fully charged, I practically never run into a low-battery situation.

Logitech Cordless Vantage on Amazon

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the official Sony Playstation one (got this free with my Uncharted 3 pre-order). Audio quality is great, but I can't really speak about battery life as my online sessions tend to be very brief.

I use a set of Triton AX720's. The sound quality is really good and they are comfortable for long sessions. The only downside is that they are wired.

you will loose positional audio with mono,
you will have to resort to the old fps trick of spinning 360 degrees to locate footsteps ect

I just use regular 3.5mm headset and stuck the wire directly into av cable with bare wire and a tape. . . .

hmm recommend a headset is a hard thing to do. what gnome on my ears can sound bad in other people ears.

btw I'm using corsair vengeance 1100. sounds good for the ultra cheap price.

That reminds me I once had a set of headphones with a damaged plug, so i wired them directly to the speaker socket of my hifi, they were that load they actually made you want to vomit.

you will loose positional audio with mono,
you will have to resort to the old fps trick of spinning 360 degrees to locate footsteps ect

Sorry, I guess I wasn't that clear in my post. The headset is mono and I prefer it that way - and I also wish to have a headset that is not an "in-ear-headphone" or that seals off the ears completely, as I play on my 5.1 system - and the more I hear the speakers around me, the more 'real' the experience is.

The Logitech was a good choice in this area. Light on the ears and comfortable.

I'm confused, so you looking for chat headset and not 'sound headset'?

my bad english seems really confused me haha

Back