My son turned 13 today, got him a 360 elite

My son just has to walk the dogs with me before breakfast (about 2.5 miles) and keep his grades up for vid time.

As a YMCA swim coach, and console gamer, I have to say that although the intentions are great, this work/reward model of incentives has some potential negative effects.

1) You're reinforcing the exercise as work or onerous activity.
2) Studies have shown rewards as motivators have unintended effects:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/motivation.html

Granted, we all still do it... even I have fallen for that trap coaching my youth team.

By far, the most effective -- and hardest way to motivate people is to:

* Set an example
* Design the activity around the participants.
* Be creative/flexible so that activities don't become boring.

I've done everything from incorporating ideas from the kids on what the next workout set should be to switching between a set/rote practice and games that still allow them to develop skills or conditioning.

Anyway, that's why I think the Wii fit, Wave, Move interfaces are cool, in my opinion. They allow one to incorporate physical activity with gaming. IMHO, much more engaging than sitting on a stationary bike with a Ninty DS in hand!

My son just has to walk the dogs with me before breakfast (about 2.5 miles) and keep his grades up for vid time.
My dogs are still bigger than my kids. :(

Thanks for the input makattack, after some thought is seems like you have a fucking annoying point and are right. ;)

I think instead I'll designate an hour in the morning towards exercise and I'll just take over the living room and exercise, they'll want to join me if I do it and I'm pretty sure we can figure out some kind of routines to take turns with. :)

I'll let ya know how it goes, thanks again.

My dogs are Siberian Huskies so they're medium sized but very strong. That's why I walk with him. Gets us both up and exercising.

I have 3 mutts that are medium/large, but insanely strong too. Even with me walking with them I'm not sure, we'll probably try it one at a time.

Digi, here's the latest deals on XBL Subscriptions and Points: [ http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/35156 ] Prices do not include a possible 3% Dell Preferred Account discount, nor do they include taxes and shipping, but shipping is free on orders over $49.

12 months at $30
4000 points for $37.

Finished building my HTPC today, got the final part. ;)

p706103651-f.jpeg

I have a Logitech Universal Programmable remote also for the X360. Have had the thing for 7-8 years now (got it before the X360). Can't imagine living without it.

1 button to turn on everything for a required task. Push button and X360, TV, and receiver all pop on.

Regards,
SB

That looks like it cost a lot more than $20us. :???:

Yeah, I bought mine in 2006 for about $65. I don't think you can find them new in a store though. Probably find a used one on ebay for $50 or more though. Worth every penny though. My wife loves it. Once you go through the simple wizard-style programming, it's only 1 button push to turn all devices on and set them up for whatever activity you want to do.

However, I agree for $20 you can't beat the official Xbox 360 universal remote just for playing games & the occasional DVD or Netflix. Getting the son one for his room.

Tommy McClain

Back