360 Arcade, Elite, Premium, and Pro discontinued on Amazon (New SKU at GDC?!)

Maybe that doesn't matter to MS in the end, now that the Wii is grabbing most of the low-end gamers anyway. Strategies change. It won't surprise me at all if they go back to HD only.

Maybe that doesn't matter to MS in the end, now that the Wii is grabbing most of the low-end gamers anyway. Strategies change. It won't surprise me at all if they go back to HD only.

I don't think they will get rid of the Arcade because offering an Arcade sku pratically costs MS little to nothing.

The only thing different between a Pro and an Arcade is its packaging as the Pro gets different and/or additional peripherals and a different themed box.

I don't agree. There are probably no more than 4 million X360s out there without hard drives. The final userbase is going to be in the 40+ million range. They can probably afford to relax that restriction as long as they reduce the HD pricing into the $60 range or so.

They can discontinue the SKU, but allowing the manufacture of games to essentially make all those users unsupported would be a huge mistake, perhaps even a class action lawsuit level mistake. So unless they plan to give every arcade/core owner a hdd I don't think you'll ever see the end of the 'games have to run without a HDD' policy.

You can't just disenfranchise 10-20% of your user base and think that offering them a $60 upgrade option will make the problem go away.

Say, are there any blu ray units that are also 12x DVD drives? I was wondering if they would include it in the elite model to go toe to toe with the PS3?

Elite+Pro+Arcade are back.

It shouldn't be too hard to include wireless across the board, especially if they count on extra live gold and movie rental subscriptions to pay for it.

Arcade=20gb H.D.D+wireless
Pro = 120gb H.D.D+Wireless
Elite = 120-200gb +Blu Ray+Wireless

All have a redisigned chassi for heat and noise?

Thats my interpretation of what might happen.

Those are some very good points. I believe 12x DVD on Blu-ray would be easy now.
It was insightful to note this requirement.

Ever since Burnout Paradise came out (and Little Big Planet was announced) I have expected models without an HDD to cease production.
Without an HDD being standard Microsoft has no chance of competing with Wii or PS3 for another year.
According to the charts at the bottom its rein over either console has already ended.

Here is my post from the Console Hardware Folder.

One moment need to dial in some communication on my points.
1. The point of having an HDD by default is room to developers to work with. Yes, Xbox360 has an HDD option. (Which costs 2x to 3x what it costs on a PS3.) But Microsoft explicitly stated multiple times gamers do not have to have an HDD to play their games. MS also places higher demand on moving the Core and Arcade systems for greater profit, than the HDD equipped systems. (I am referring to their use of retail shelf space allocated to them as major retailed. Often no sticker space for the HDD units is even present. Even though there isn’t an actual shortage of HDD’s being made. So the HDD SKU unit shortage is artificial, in that they placed higher priority on the units without HDD.) So developer must respect these factors as well as the consumers without HDD's. That means that the games cannot be designed with dependency on the HDD. And the developers were supposedly could not upgrade to the HDD in any way that defeats playing without it. Which is why Capcom wanted to install Devil May Cry. Burnout Paradise cannot be played online without an HDD on the Xbox360. So the gamers and the developers in the last case are limited by a lack of HDD.
The only way for Microsoft to overcome this, is to reverse its position and discontinue making units without an HDD. Which financially they would not do until the profits from the HDDless units pay off the RROD expenses. They literally charge twice what each unit costs to make and are still operating in the negative, due to the reliability of the console.

2. I meant that as developers learn to make use of caching and streaming from the 60MB/sec HDD on the PS3; that the 15MB/sec DVD on the Xbox360 becomes a limit to cross platform development.

3. Having headroom to grow and explore is important. The PS2 didn’t reach 90% of the devKit performance meter until 5 years into its life. Around then an amazing game called GOD OF WAR appeared. So newer better looking or performing gamers kept coming that whole time. The headroom Microsoft thought it had and advertised at launch hasn’t yet manifested. Free 4xAA and Games not needing more than one DVD9? Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are both 3 and 4 disc games whose poor packaging are to be blamed on the limits Microsoft places on size of US packaging. On PS3 5 DVD9 discs would fit on one Blu-Ray disc. http://kotaku.com/355825/american-lost-odyssey-packaging-is-an-exercise-in-half-measures My point being the Original Xbox had more headroom to grow than the Xbox360 due to an HDD being present by default.

All additional features on the Xbox360 absolutely require an HDD. Such as backwards compatibility, Divx video, Online Play, etc etc. The 256MB on the core models is half the internal memory on Nintendo Wii, 512 MB. That is pitiful. Financially the Core models are a trap to consumers requiring upgrade after creating a Live account and renting/buying 1 to 4 games. Each online video or (up to 150MB) online Arcade game would kill this space. They call it Arcade but it can’t hold five Arcade downloads. Two years into the life of the Xbox360 and it already had to quietly contradict back the majority of what it said it could do with the base units. Where PS3 has a 20GB minimum HDD that is openly upgradeable at less than 50% the cost. Includes Blu-ray ($300) which any HDTV owner or HD monitor gamer will want. Includes support for a second OS, that can freely be used for web browsing, printing, and just about any Linux PC tasks. PlayTV also brings an amazing new value to the package. All together you have a system that exceeds the Cult wonder of Xbox Media Center.

SDK 3.0 came out October 19, 2007. Jump forward 18 months to April 2009. If more AAA games and entertainment start hitting PS3 at that time. And they are beyond the limits of the Xbox360, the market will shift to Sony. Additionally by June 2009 the Cell and RSX will be merged using a 45nm die. Whatever else is going on, the PS3 will become a low power mega house.

If anyone bothers to apply the math…
Xbox360 Arcade $280
+ $180: 120GB HDD http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?cookie_test=1&product_id=802643
= $460 for the Arcade with the most common HDD?
Verses a $400 PS3 that plays Blu-ray movies and works as a PC in addition to Gaming!?

Wireless add $70; Microsoft separate the Rechargeable Battery & Cable, from the Wireless controller?
$50 = Controller http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product_id=802113
$20 = NiMH Battery & Recharge Cable http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product_id=802125
Verses a $50 SIXAXIS controller with a Lithium Ion Battery that has longer usages and twice the rechargeable lifetime.
http://www.target.com/PlayStation-3...e=UTF8&node=296579011&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1

Once Consumers start seeing how the fees are hidden costs, broken across items, Xbox360 is no bargain at all.
Curious point I just highlighted in the quote. With SDK 3.0 runtime the usable bandwidth on the IEB did in fact increase.
And bandwidth efficiency and usability of the Local Store will likely improve with time as well. Same was true of the PS2 eDRAM.
No matter how productive the Xbox360 10MB eDRAM gets it will never get more than 32GB/sec, from the advertised 256GB/sec.
The 2.5MB of local store on the IEB moves from point to point at about 102.4GB/sec = great access for linking Geometry Shading.

The only way for Microsoft to keep its lead in the next year is to drop its price by at least $80 across the board & discontinue the HDD less system.
Otherwise in 2009 or 2010 they will be announcing a whole new system to recapture their position in the market.
I don’t believe Xbox360’s gaming variety has what it takes to sustain itself beyond 2010.
You can speak hypothetically of it emulating the PS2’s reign and call other ideas crazy.
But the Wii is alreayd Crushing it harder than PS2 did last time.
And the PS3 is already outpacing it when comparing from launch day forward.
These facts make it crazy to think the scenerio this time will be much better than last.

Without an HDD or more than 256MB of memory user content creation and developmental freedom will be limited. Wii and PS3 already have user content coming. Where is this on the Xbox360?
Imagine all PC’s had to run a live imagine DVD instead of use an HDD.
The days of Xbox360 are quietly already counting down.

It may be another year while PS3 SDK 3.0, PSNetwork, PS3 Linux (Mar 2008), Home (June 2008), Blu-ray 2.0 (Oct 2008), & PlayTV mature before others see it. All you have to do is realize the game includes Nintendo Wii this time and all your forcast become crazy. Becuase things start to look worse for Xbox360 this time, than they were the last.

Xbox This Time: http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php
Xbox Last Time: http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=GC&reg1=All&cons2=PS2&reg2=All&cons3=XB&reg3=All&weeks=156

As you can see by comparing from launch, it is doing worse this time, than last time.
I'm not crazy. I just see the technical limits and historic statistical probability.

My forcast is consistant to the data.

Try doing the math.
Wii and PS3 are much better choices, whose sales are tracking better.
They are also much better priced when you look at the real cost of ownership.
In just another 2 years Xbox360 will have to try again or lose its starting momentum.

Those are some very good points. I believe 12x DVD on Blu-ray would be easy now.

Ever since Burnout Paradise came out (and Little Big Planet was announced) I have expected models without an HDD to cease production.
Without an HDD being standard Microsoft has no chance of competing with Wii or PS3 for another year.
According to the charts at the bottom its rein over either console has already ended.

Dude this is a ridiculous post. Completely ridiculous.

PS2 never had a HDD.

Wii doesn't have a HDD.

Both are pretty successful.

I could go on and on but I dont want to offend anybody by offering my opinion that Blu Ray isn't needed for this generation of games, and that a standard HDD has proven near zero game play advantages. More third party developers have publicly struggled with PS3 and it's built in HDD than 360. Not BECAUSE of the HDD of course, but you get the point. It's my opinion that Sony didn't really want to build in the HDD anyway, but rather had to to compensate for slow Blu Ray loading. The fact we are now seeing lengthy mandatory 5GB installs on some PS3 games bears this out.

In short, you are completely wrong. It seems to me the people the core pack bothers most are always fans of other systems. Maybe that should tell you they perceive it as a threat...

And btw, how do you explain that after 2.5 years 360 is on pace to surpass lifetime Xbox shipments this year? Xbox shipped 24-25 million. 360 is at 17.7 million and will likely ship at least around 9 million in 2008. Whether it beats the PS3 or Wii, 360 has undebatable performed better and more profitably than Xbox.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, looks like the OP didn't exactly pan out..

I also see more 360's in stock at various major online retailers. Best Buy.com, Gamestop.com, and Amazon.com. Maybe they are getting that shortage worked out. It doesn't appear any new sku was in the works.

Dude this is a ridiculous post. Completely ridiculous.

PS2 never had a HDD.

Wii doesn't have a HDD.

Both are pretty successful.

I could go on and on but I dont want to offend anybody by offering my opinion that Blu Ray isn't needed for this generation of games, and that a standard HDD has proven near zero game play advantages. More third party developers have publicly struggled with PS3 and it's built in HDD than 360. Not BECAUSE of the HDD of course, but you get the point. It's my opinion that Sony didn't really want to build in the HDD anyway, but rather had to to compensate for slow Blu Ray loading. The fact we are now seeing lengthy mandatory 5GB installs on some PS3 games bears this out.

In short, you are completely wrong. It seems to me the people the core pack bothers most are always fans of other systems. Maybe that should tell you they perceive it as a threat...

And btw, how do you explain that after 2.5 years 360 is on pace to surpass lifetime Xbox shipments this year? Xbox shipped 24-25 million. 360 is at 17.7 million and will likely ship at least around 9 million in 2008. Whether it beats the PS3 or Wii, 360 has undebatable performed better and more profitably than Xbox.[/b[

Let's simplify this.
Do you own an Xbox360?
Did you buy the one without an HDD or one with an HDD?
If you bought the one with an HDD, did you buy it because it was a better value?
If you bought one without an HDD, are you still playing without an HDD?
As a comsumer your own behavior would be sample evidence of its inferior value.

The PS2 has no bearing on the HDD discussion. I agree with Shifty Geezer software sales kept the PS2 going.
Minor point. But you are wrong about the PS2. It did have an HDD. But only one game required it.
And though I am not using it, my PS2 does in fact have an HDD in it even now.

It just was decided by Sony that introducing an HDD game base after millions of units were sold would disenfranchise the current user base and tipping towards the Xbox HDD momentum.

How do I explain XB360 sales? Big challenge…Timing without competition and good dev support.
Mostly that Cell Broadband Engine Architecture SDK 2.0 and earlier was by comparison…challenging.
Runtime 2.1 is a giant leap in the right direction when compared to runtime 1.2 in SDK 2.0 and earlier.

Nintendo Wii includes (512MB) TWICE the internal storage Core & Arcade Xbox360 include (256MB).
And graphically has less than 15% (480p) the demands Xbox360 stretches for (1080p).
Wii is almost literally GameCube over clocked by 50%. So dev tools were already mature & costs are low.
So is retail price, being half the competition’s price to get its advertised benefits.

One other minor point, you were also wrong about.
The Xbox360 has been less even profitable than the first Xbox despite charging twice what it costs to make.
This Xbox 2007: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6175367.html
Last Xbox 2003: http://www.infopackets.com/channels.../20060729_microsoft_q4_losses_and_profits.htm

So yeah this time is more profitable than last time…by Negative Four times.
This despite the mentioned current Xbox selling for twice what the hardware on its own costs.
Plus sales growth that trails the competition when paralleled from launch date forward.

Recap.
The 5GB install is Capcom only so far. And they asked Microsoft but were denied it because technically it lacks an HDD.
So you distinction of needed is wrong. Sony chose to allow it because Capcom asserted beneficial value of it.
If properly optimized HDD streaming on PS3 offers 4 times (60MB/sec)the bandwidth of Xbox360’s DVD (15MB/sec).
However the textures and other details were larger on PS3 than on XB360 reducing the advantage, that remained.
So you were wrong to discriminate about this.

You are also wrong about how hard drives affect load times in gaming. Do a search for PS3 7,200rpm.
The Seagate 5400.4 Momentus & some 7,200rpm 2.5inch drives improve load times by 10%-20% on the PS3.
Taking the very first Company to install on the PS3’s HDD as a reference for all future developers is foolishness.

Additionally the HDD has resulted in less pop-in on cross platform PS3 games, also seen on Xbox360.
The Xenon cores are also limited in other ways but I need to go to sleep, rather than elaborate.

You also underrate the importance of Wii’s internal memory.
I am unable to enlighten you as to its value. But it is clear you need to learn more in order to appreciate it.

Try checking yourself before calling someone else’s work completely ridiculous.
Just because the direction taken with factual information doesn’t agree with you, doesn’t make the facts ridiculous.
It is however ridiculous to continue defending my position with you, when you cite no facts, and incorrectly invent your own.

The only completely wrong thing here was your closing unbalanced, and 50% completely wrong statement.
Xbox360 has better pixel/texel shading performance; but lower poly, physics, & geometry performance than PS3.
And as linked and shown this System has thus far been less profitable for Microsoft than the last Xbox system.
Thankfully they are making it back by charging customers for 2x Xbox360's everytime they buy one.

I won't bother with the rest of your post, but this horrible negligence stands out.

One other minor point, you were also wrong about.
The Xbox360 has been less even profitable than the first Xbox despite charging twice what it costs to make.
This Xbox 2007: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6175367.html
Last Xbox 2003: http://www.infopackets.com/channels.../20060729_microsoft_q4_losses_and_profits.htm

So yeah this time is more profitable than last time…by Negative Four times.
This despite the mentioned current Xbox selling for twice what the hardware on its own costs.
Plus sales growth that trails the competition when paralleled from launch date forward.

er so selecting a quarter where they had a big one time charge and neglecting the 900million in profits the game division has made since then... nice try.

Please do some research before you spam out huge posts that are just wrong.

Out of interest... what is your definition of "competing". Are you measure both hardware and software sales? By what margin do you define "not competing"? 90% of sales of both other systems? 50%?

I won't bother with the rest of your post, but this horrible negligence stands out.

er so selecting a quarter where they had a big one time charge and neglecting the 900million in profits the game division has made since then... nice try.

Please do some research before you spam out huge posts that are just wrong.

I'm just broswing before sleeping. But I look forward to see you cite those numbers.

Out of interest... what is your definition of "competing". Are you measure both hardware and software sales? By what margin do you define "not competing"? 90% of sales of both other systems? 50%?

Please clarify. I will try to address this when I return.

I'm just broswing before sleeping. But I look forward to see you cite those numbers.

look them up yourself, MS quarterly reports are online. The last 2 quarters have posted profits of like $160 million, and $360 million, no reason to expect this quarter isn't profitable as well.

Xbox360 has better pixel/texel shading performance; but lower poly, physics, & geometry performance than PS3.

Wha...? Please print out the last two years worth of RSX vertex shading threads and crawl back under your rock.

And as linked and shown this System has thus far been less profitable for Microsoft than the last
Xbox system.

Double wha? Add to the printout pile the last quarterly reports.

Best regards,
CurrentCTO

Ok back on topic please.

And FutureCTO, a special warning to you. It seems an awful lot of what you post is either inappropriate, uninformed, factually wrong, totally off topic or simply flame bait. Now that's fine, but only when it is either given context, stated as such - or by backing up your claim and most importantly having a solid reason for doing so.
I am also less than impressed by the subtle but aggressive tone you quite often take with other members. Being persuasive does not mean being forceful.

In your large post at the top of this page, you clearly tried to turn this into a 360 bash. Brining up everything from 'free 4xaa' to the wifi adapter cost argument. This is ridiculous, and the sort of thing you expect out of teenage fanboys. This is a technology forum. Hell you even used vgchartz. Seriously, read it over.. How on earth is that appropriate here given the context?
The sad thing is it sits in line with your post history. Need I mention the last post you created and the nonsense about the dual shock (not to mention you created the same thread twice under different user names).

Not everything has to be conspiracy and it's OK for people to have differing opinions, remember that just because 1 + 1 can equal 10 doesn't mean it always does.
Now your clearly a smart guy, just a *bit* too wrapped up in it all. All I ask is you treat others here with the same level of respect you hope to receive in return.

Have we ever been able to actually confirm the cause for the shortages?

I believe that MS did acknowledge the shortages at some point recently, but did they give a reason?

I had some extra money this past weekend and thought about dumping it on a 360, but the local Walmart and Target were out of stock. Not even a Core/Arcade unit to be found.

I know the speculation was they were trying to use up existing stock and purposely delaying putting the new units into the supply chain. But if that theory was correct, shouldn't there be massive amounts of 360s hitting store shelves all at once?

And we've already reached the point of scarcity. So I don't see a reason to further delay release of the newer units. Unless those newer units don't actually exist. (Ie: manufacturing problems going to the new process?)

Does anybody know? Clearly, there was no new sku announced at GDC.

We know that MS ended a second manufacturing contract in the fall. I think they only have one of the original three manufacturers remaining. So there could be a manufacturing bottleneck currently. I wonder if the RROD problem was traced back to specific manufacturers?

We know that MS ended a second manufacturing contract in the fall. I think they only have one of the original three manufacturers remaining. So there could be a manufacturing bottleneck currently. I wonder if the RROD problem was traced back to specific manufacturers?

It could also be a case of underestimating demand in the U.S. Maybe the X360 carried more moment from the Xmas holidays than expected and they couldn't romp up production fast enough. Or it could simply be the case that they're fully moving to 65nm process.

Back