The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
That 'damage' is lame to the point I wonder why they included it? Collision response looks exactly the same as before.

Yeah. The last rumour/suggestion was that damage would be limited to "racing cars" only. I guess they have 170 racing cars in the game then?

Would be awesome if all the cars had damage but I guess its easier to license damage on race car versions instead of Production cars for some marketing/manufacturer restriction or whatever. :rolleyes:

But surely, all the cars in Prologue will be 'premium' models with interiors, and most are not racing cars. It doesn't seem to make sense.

That 'damage' is lame to the point I wonder why they included it? Collision response looks exactly the same as before.

I'm not sure yet what we're seeing here, what kind of setting, etc., but I do know that I'm seeing a lot more subtle damage than most seem to notice, but apart from the eye-catching (and almost cliché ;) ) bumper, car doors and hood coming up, you have to look really carefully for the rest - I notice paint damage in various places, small dents and ripples in the bodywork, etc. It's not the whole thing with all bits and pieces flying off, but the car does respond differently from the way it used to, witnessing the fact that it lifted to a 45 degree angle when being hit from the side by another car. Now a rally car is really strongly fortified so it can handle a fair bit of damage, so I don't know how typical things are there either, but I'm sure we'll learn more as time goes on. I did think I also spotted a bit of steering column damage or misalignment of the wheels (wobble), but I'm not sure.

At any rate, I was never a fan of damage but it's a nice surprise, and also an interesting way to get to see more of the car's interior from different angles ... :D

But honestly I'd say that if we are to wait this long then I better want something good from PD.
If damage on selected few cars,20 Tracks & simple damage physics is the only thing included in GT5 then I'll be disappointed for them taking so long to release it.

Agreed. Though I would be surprised if it only has 20 tracks. GT4 had 50 tracks, GT for the PSP Go has 35 tracks with 60 variations of them. They won't have outdone themselves with only 20 tracks.

The main reason I want realistic damage, and having it effect the handling, is because it will force them to do decent AI. Real damage with the old AI would wreak the game. And even worse than it did with GT4's crappy penalty system.

Agreed. Though I would be surprised if it only has 20 tracks. GT4 had 50 tracks, GT for the PSP Go has 35 tracks with 60 variations of them. They won't have outdone themselves with only 20 tracks.

According to the translation, it's more than 60 layouts (and more than 20 tracks). Not just 20 tracks.

That Japanese report looks like an "internal" snapshot of the game.

The big difference is that gt4 and gt for psp are standalone games with no upgrades planned. GT5 on the other hand will most likely receive plenty of updates in future. I'm all for earlier release(sarcasm intended) and buy updates later on if it means I get to play the end result earlier.

Well it'd have been a better idea if they released all the tracks from GT PSP & then plan "Fictional & Exotic Tracks"for DLCs.

And btw no news on Weather changes/Night Races ?

The big difference is that gt4 and gt for psp are standalone games with no upgrades planned. GT5 on the other hand will most likely receive plenty of updates in future. I'm all for earlier release(sarcasm intended) and buy updates later on if it means I get to play the end result earlier.

If GT5 is going to be big on updates I think we would have had it by now. I mean, this a racing game, beyond the physics model what couldn't they have added through updates? I not saying I don't expect any updates, just not many.

By making such a complete game the are undermining the need for updates, and the chance to get some additional returns on that. Would you buy extra cars if the game itself already has a 1000 cars?

I personally wanted a complete GT, which I could enjoy without any complains or shortcomings....coz I'll be honest being an old GT Fan(boy) it hurts me when I see the competition doing better. [I will accept it IS doing better]. I still have my hopes high though. :)

If GT5 is going to be big on updates I think we would have had it by now. I mean, this a racing game, beyond the physics model what couldn't they have added through updates? I not saying I don't expect any updates, just not many.

By making such a complete game the are undermining the need for updates, and the chance to get some additional returns on that. Would you buy extra cars if the game itself already has a 1000 cars?

There has been plenty of interviews where the future of gt5 has been said to be long and full of updates. Couple of things that originally were said to be coming in such updates were collision damage and dynamic weather. How the updates will play out I have no idea. I would not mind an update every 6months or so as long as it brings some new cool features, tracks, cars etc.

Usually one sees game version1 out and couple of years later second version of the game... I wouldn't mind more evolutionary path for game like gt5 where you get the first version and it get's upgraded over time and the complete new version would not come until ps4.

So what could come with updates, more complete damage, more racing modes(nascar and formula already announced, what else?), new cars, tracks, dynamic weather, all the missing simulation aspects(tire pressure, temperature, etc). And ofcourse more polish to everything :) There could be more that can be done with the online side depending on the features gt5 will have initially. I see easily years of worth updates if PD continues to develop gt5 instead of providing gt6 in 2012 or 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it'd have been a better idea if they released all the tracks from GT PSP & then plan "Fictional & Exotic Tracks"for DLCs.

And btw no news on Weather changes/Night Races ?

PSP probably can use tracks from gt4 with very little modifications. Imagine how long it will take to graphically redo all those tracks to gt5 spec... yes, we would be waiting for the final game very looong, just because it needs to have all the tracks in launch. I say if PD has the engine, chat rooms, private races etc. working then launch the game NOW with less tracks and cars and give updates later on :) I wouldn't mind even if the collision damage would come half a year later on an upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't mind more evolutionary path for game like gt5 where you get the first version and it get's upgraded over time and the complete new version would not come until ps4.

That would have been the ideal way to do it. And it would have the advantage of getting more fan feedback early on. Allowing them to make updates exactly how the fans want them to. Now were just going have wait and it they got everything they announced right the first time. Or if we still need an update to improve things.

PSP probably can use tracks from gt4 with very little modifications. Imagine how long it will take to graphically redo all those tracks to gt5 spec... yes, we would be waiting for the final game very looong, just because it needs to have all the tracks in launch. I say if PD has the engine, chat rooms, private races etc. working then launch the game NOW with less tracks and cars and give updates later on :) I wouldn't mind even if the collision damage would come half a year later on an upgrade.

Have we not been waiting for a hell long period already ?

That would have been the ideal way to do it. And it would have the advantage of getting more fan feedback early on. Allowing them to make updates exactly how the fans want them to. Now were just going have wait and it they got everything they announced right the first time. Or if we still need an update to improve things.

That was the route prologue was supposted to take but they never delivered on the promised big fall patch for 2008 with all the new online features... But they did patch especially the japanese version of prologue many times :)

Have we not been waiting for a hell long period already ?

That's why I'm saying ship it now rather than make even more content and wait even longer...

I bought the japanese version of prologue when it was launched and have been waiting since for the final game. Luckily I never believed the final game would be out any time soon... though I was quite disappointed when the big fall patch 2008 for prologue never materialized.

Not just the bonnet (hood), WTF is it with that bumper? One hit and it comes loose one side, repeated crashes and no more damage.

Very Poor.

Perhaps it was arcade mode damage(pun intended). That said, the damage stuff was very lame indeed both visually and simulation wise. Makes me wonder if polyphony digital really would release something like that after so many years of thriving to do less but perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back