The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is hard to add realistic damage physics visually and in terms of handling in GT5 considering the manufacturers' demands and the large quantity of content. But then again if PD didnt try to put at least some damage people would have criticized it for not having any in it for so many years while Forza had it

Is it really a case of manufacturers' demands? Because I dont really believe that because there are plenty of games where you can do quite some damage to your car. Also I really dont so how being able to wreck a Ferrari in game is going to have any effect on real life Ferrari image. Would somebody really change their mind on Ferrari or any other car brand because in a game they wrecked a car hitting a wall at 200kmph? I mean, common sense would tell you that is 100% logical right?

The Forza developers also stated once how much painful it was until they managed to get the green light by the manufacturers to add that limited damage in the game.
So I believe that there might be some truth.

GT5's damage is IMO very impressive. Most other games I've seen only have superficial crumpling of panels. Major panels don't come off, or if they do, there's nothing interesting beneath them.

For GT5 to allow for all the ways a car can come apart and still have what's left look realistic (to Polyphony's standards) takes an enormous amount of additional modeling. It seems like they're modeling the car starting from its components. Things like the door pillars, the engine compartment, the underside of the hood, the strut towers, crash cage, etc., that are normally hidden now need to be modeled quite fully, and modeled accurately so that they look like they can all fit together to form the full car.

Then the fact that things like the bumper can become partially detached and dangle off the car realistically, without intersecting with any other body panels, suggests that inter-panel collision detection is at work.

So I think Polyphony have taken a very cool, first-principles approach to damage modeling. However, they still need to add more deformation, tweak attach point strength, account more for different panel masses and rigidity, model aerodynamic effects on dangling panels, etc., so that the emergent damage behaviour is more realistic. They also need to work on the transfer of momentum (angular and linear) between colliding cars--it looks pretty bad still.

The biggest thing I noticed in that is that the environment shadows don't bear any resemblance to the shadows on the car as it passes under them. It's really disconcerting. One major glaring eyesore is when it's going under the overpass, and yet it's still quite bright.

And there's some really bizarre shadowing artifacts on the bumper.

The reflections on the hood also look low res and not updated very quickly, but that could quite likely be the quality of the video. Tree's and vegetation are also very cookie cutter with most looking exactly the same. Road texture also looks rather bland.

On the plus side, the shadows cast by the cars is pretty nice. And I've always loved city scenes. :)

Regards,
SB

I wonder if Forza 3 can have damage modeling in 400 of its cars then cant those same cars atleast have damage modeling in GT5 ?

P.S.[Still no Tire Burn Marks on Roads ? :( ]

The biggest thing I noticed in that is that the environment shadows don't bear any resemblance to the shadows on the car as it passes under them. It's really disconcerting. One major glaring eyesore is when it's going under the overpass, and yet it's still quite bright.

And there's some really bizarre shadowing artifacts on the bumper.

The reflections on the hood also look low res and not updated very quickly, but that could quite likely be the quality of the video.
The reflections are a terrible hack. They're using an inversion of the rendered road. You can see the road markings flash across the bonnet! At 15 seconds you see the yellow line. At 27s the zebra crossing makes an appearance in the reflections! 30 seconds shows a slow pass over the white line and corresponding line on the hood. And after that point I looked closely and you can see the reflection is a distorted inversion.

GTs not what it used to be. :( Fingers crossed these are place-holder effects because they needed some reflections fast!

Tree's and vegetation are also very cookie cutter with most looking exactly the same. Road texture also looks rather bland.

On the plus side, the shadows cast by the cars is pretty nice. And I've always loved city scenes. :)

Regards,
SB
I thought you were talking about another game by mistake for a minute. I guess racing games tend to do these things a lot.

GTs not what it used to be. :(
So far, to me, it's better than it use to be! :smile:

The reflections are a terrible hack. They're using an inversion of the rendered road. You can see the road markings flash across the bonnet! At 15 seconds you see the yellow line. At 27s the zebra crossing makes an appearance in the reflections! 30 seconds shows a slow pass over the white line and corresponding line on the hood. And after that point I looked closely and you can see the reflection is a distorted inversion.

GTs not what it used to be. :( Fingers crossed these are place-holder effects because they needed some reflections fast!

What method did they use in Proloque or GT4 for reflections?

Ha ha, no it's clearly not what it used to be. Or else we wouldn't have any damage, up to 16 cars on track, cockpit view, online racing, clutch support, etc. ... to name but a few innovations in GT5 over GT4.

I'm sure that racing with damage on is going to come at a price, but the way it looks right now, well, I'm excited anyway. :) To my (probably very untrained and GT-fanboy ;) ) eyes, it still looks quite a bit better than most of the competition. And we don't even have a release date yet (though I hope honest to god its this year, even if that means the reflections are a 'hack')

Nothing wrong with the reflections on the hood in the youtube vid above, by the way.

EDIT: ha ha ha ... I think you made a mistake Shifty. There are two fives on the car, one on top and one behind the rear window in the top right corner. They change color depending on lighting, it may be a fluorecence effect actually. You may want to take another look ... But thanks for pointing it out though, I hadn't spotted that yet. Those numbers are all over the car by the way.

EDIT: here, this video shows it seems to be a realistic effect too (you may want to try the slightly better HQ version, but you can still just about see it)

Road texture also looks rather bland.
Most high quality roads look bland, it's only the crap roads that have "character". I doubt a major highway in Japan is in anything less than spectacular condition.

Lets see if the Ring looks so bland.
I don't think you are right on all 3 counts, I think all the white effects you are seeing is bloom from the sky, as for the orange line, there is no orange on the road so how can it be from the road.

It's either a glitch or theres a building with a reddish fascia that is being reflected.

If it was as you suggest you would see the markings all the time and you don't. (anyway it's my belief that they aren't markings anyway)

Having said all that, they are low res and cruddy looking.

I dont know about your country but Japanese roads are normal. Well, normal as in the same as in Holland. Pretty good but not always perfect. It certainly isnt like Belgium where a highway road typically looks like a lunar landscape :LOL:

EDIT: ha ha ha ... I think you made a mistake Shifty.
I did make a mistake, but it wasn't to do with the fives. I hadn't twigged it was a Roof Cam view, thinking it was a Bonnet Cam. That explains a weird division in the reflection I was seeing. But the reflections are still decidedly whack. Not as whack as I thought, but they aren't realistic.

And the reason I say GT isn't what it used t be is because I always regarded it as being on the cutting edge of technology. Perhaps in terms of lots of cars it is, but the rendering tech doesn't seem to be doing much sophisticated at this point. Promises that if they were to do damage, they'd do it right, haven't been put into practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back