The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
While i agree that PD is extremely talented, i suggest you go pick up a xbox 1 and play some racing games if you think GT4 was the ultimate graphical racing achievement last generation...

I've played a lot of racers on Xbox, and none of them looks as good as GT4, IMHO

gtcar.jpg

This is just incredible.

Polyphony just got the lighting down so well. The cars exterior actually looks like metal or carbon fiber or whatever is being used, instead of the fake plastic toy look.

I'm assuming the bloom is from taking a photo of the screen, and the game itself doesn't actually do a bloom pass? (I haven't seen bloom in any actual shot yet).

I think the reason the cars look so good is pretty simple. They have scaled back the reflections. Almost ever racing game in existence over emphasises the reflections on the cars. PGR3 was the best till this, but even so they were still overdone. They didn't get the gamma right either.

Skies are naturally very bright, but we don't really see them as being so bright. However, when reflected in a vehicle, you only get (say) 5-10% of light reflect back. So the sky brightness is now suddenly at a different point in the gamma ramp, and the transition from ground/sky is a lot more noticeable.
From what I can see, this GT demo is faking this, by artificially boosting the brightness. They may also be blurring the reflection to do image based lighting... The red ferrari shot above suggests this...

Look at a game like TDU, and technically it is more than capable of looking just as good as this. It's just the gamma is wrong and the reflections are not only backwards, but far too powerful, use per vertex mapping, and for some crazy reason modulated with the car lighting - and doesn't do self shadowing, even through it's rendering a shadow for the ground. Look at this image, that is actually a *very* detailed model, the problem is your eye is drawn to the badly mapped reflection, the poor lighting transitions (no ambient occlusion, like GT appears to have) and finally the bizarre background lighting. It's all in the artistic details of the implementation.

Games are changing. Being technically competent is no longer enough, you need to be artistically and scientifically competent, knowing not only what can look good technically, but why it looks good in the real world equivalent.

Finally, I'd say remember that this game will be competing with PGR4, and I have no doubt that PGR4 will be a significant improvement on 3. Afterall the difference between PGR1 and PGR2 was pretty huge :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we stop with the modified shots already? I've already posted how modifying the gamma, highlights, contrast etc. can make the images look more "real".
I dont think hes modifying anything Capeta. They are pictures from a camera on someones TV. That pretty much will bring the contrast/gamma out. That doesnt mean hes modifying anything.

And since theres no photomode in the demo yet, it seems to be the only way to capture images to share with the forum (other than having a capture card of course).

I'm assuming the bloom is from taking a photo of the screen, and the game itself doesn't actually do a bloom pass? (I haven't seen bloom in any actual shot yet).

There is bloom in the game. It flares when quickly going from dark to bright. And there is bloom off the shiny metal paint when the light hits it right.

I've been playing it for a few hours now. It doesn't have the bull shot FSAA that the recently released video has, but otherwise it really looks that good.

They also get props for having a very good menus interface. Also you can select between 1080i and 780p in game. This seems to directly address the problem people with older HD displays were having. If you have a 1080p screen, it's always 1080p though.

There is some minor aliasing issues. And shadows could be better. But once you actually start concentrating on racing and not looking for defects, those little problems fade away.

Just like in RR7 you can download and watch the replays of other racers off the rankings board. A very nice touch.

Just like in RR7 you can download and watch the replays of other racers off the rankings board. A very nice touch.
Yeah man, some of these drift replays are crazy I'm watching. Whats the key to it? I'm handbreak'ing but I keep spinning out of control, and regular break doesnt seem enough to initiate the drift. Am I supposed to be holding the gas at the same time or something, maybe I'm driving to fast lol.

I cant even hit 3k points, and the replays that hit 8-9k are amazing to watch.

:(

Finally, I'd say remember that this game will be competing with PGR4, and I have no doubt that PGR4 will be a significant improvement on 3. Afterall the difference between PGR1 and PGR2 was pretty huge :)

PGR1 was 60fps -> PGR2 was 30fps.

But then this thread is about GTHD, a 60fps game.

Okay here's some pictures that I took with my camera, HDTV, and PS3. :)

See how the emblems look like real metal?

Check out the detail in the tire tread. Also check out the detail in the headlight. Best headlights ever in a game.

It doesn't get any more real that this. :oops:

From the beautifully placed reflections to the real looking carbon fiber spoiler, along with the accurate shaped door handles, and the very very metal looking Mitsubishi emblem and Lancer Evolution writing.

Have you ever seen an emblem and writing on a car that looks that real in a game? The artist at Polyphony are pure geniuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back