All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2024 edition]

Oh yeah I remember those.

3DO had the first CD ROM drive or was the PS1 already out?
Before PS1/Saturn, but after CDi, TurboGFX/PCE CD and Sega/MegaCD. 3DO had pretty great specs for it's time, but it was designed to be a longer lasting product, I believe. 3DO's business model was banking on it setting a standard that all games would run on for an extended period of time, much like CDs did for music and DVD did for video. So just like CD players cost hundreds early on, they were later available for tens of dollars. I think they imagined a future like that.

PC's had cdrom drives in 1986 (maybe earlier)
ps: these did not connect via the ide bus they had either SCSI, Panasonic, Mitsumi or Sony interfaces and connected via a separate isa card sometimes the soundcard

Acer 16-Bit ISA Magic S20 YAMAHA OPTi Crystal ISA DOS Gaming Sound Card
1726193045772.png

Last edited:
In a response to one post on Twitter discussing the game’s performance, the executive producer of 2014’s Dragon Age Inquisition – Mark Darrah – surprisingly revealed just how successful the RPG was for EA, saying “Yeah I'm not sure where ‘DAI was a commercial failure’ came from…It's over 12 million at this point. MASIVELY [sic] oversold the internal EA projections.”

This also makes Inquisition the best-selling Bioware game of all time, surpassing the likes of Mass Effect, KOTOR and more.

PC's had cdrom drives in 1986 (maybe earlier)
ps: these did not connect via the ide bus they had either SCSI, Panasonic, Mitsumi or Sony interfaces and connected via a separate isa card sometimes the soundcard
Our first household PC with a CDROM came in 1991 or 1992 at the latest. It used whichever connector came with the Sound Blaster Pro, and the CDROM itself used the tray/caddy setup. I know they went a little further back in time; I didn't realize they dated back to the mid '80s though. I guess it makes some bit of sense, as CDs had to be mastered on a PC somewhere.

"Nostalgic PS1 colors"

It's gray. Or Grey. Whatever. Since the RGB values are all equal, I'm not even sure it technically qualifies as a color so much as a monochromatic shade.

Bleh.

Actually looks way better than the current designs. More playful and PlayStationy than Sony's current "trying so hard to be cool" veering into blandness.

Sony has been white or black.

Come on, they don't have to be neon bright colors but wouldn't mind some variety. Of course impossible to manage for the supply chain.

Didn't they have alternate colors or patterns to put on some console in the past? Maybe it was from a third party. I want to say the PS3 but maybe not or maybe it was an Xbox SKU.

Not that it matters. In practical terms, a boring rectangular slab works best for most entertainment spaces, stack with other CE equipment, because other than looking at the indicators on the panel, how much are you looking at your console's ID?

But probably someone could buy a limited edition, never open it and auction it years or decades later for several times what they paid.

I don't know if Playstation carries that kind of loyalty and nostalgia. But I've heard that original 2007 iPhones which have never been opened are now carrying quite a mint from collectors, even though it's antique, very useless device.

Great for a museum one day, not much else.

They provide coloured controllers and face-plates that are replaceable.

However, in the past these console companies, particularly MS, have offered extensive customisation options before. They'll know from experience how well they sell and clearly, not well enough. MS never repeated XB360's faceplates, and Sony aren't caring for anything other than basic colours.

It's a damn shame. Both were great games, and I have particularly enjoyed Banishers, as explained in my review of the action RPG:

There's little doubt Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden is Don't Nod's finest action game yet. I would also venture to say it's one of their best games, period, not to mention a great action RPG in its own right thanks to enjoyable combat, a big world with lots of content to explore and interesting stories to experience, and particularly for the amazing couple of lover protagonists.

The two games' underperformance forced DON'T NOD to partially write down their assets for €24 million and temporarily suspend two projects in the design phase in Paris (P12 and P13) for another €7.6 million write-down. The developer will focus on completing Lost Records: Bloom & Rage, the spiritual successor to Life is Strange. Moreover, it will support two external publishing projects due to launch next year.

Back