Electric Vehicle Thread!

Since I have no idea what an electric bike is like I decided it would be wise to spend as little as possible on one

I used to to be keen cyclist and even I found Mrs Cheapchip's ebike lots of fun when I tried it out. It's like going slightly downhill even when going uphill. :)

Fully Charged have done a UK bias but still global look at the state of the EV market.

Spoiler: it's doing alright overall. Who'd have guessed!

It'll be interesting to see how rapidly the remaining ~750k ICE cars last. Norway will hit some of those weird transition points first, where petrol stations start closing down as they're no longer viable.

Norway has a few things going for it, other than oil wealth. Large majority of homes have private parking. Used to rely on resistive heating in winter, due to hydro, now giving it surplus capacity on their grid with their transition to mostly air/air heatpumps (the desire in other countries to stick to hydronic heating has made the transition to heatpumps much harder).

Saw a video of a large parking structure in Oslo full of EVs and they were all connected to chargers. Dozens of spaces.

Realistically, charging is the limiting factor for EV adoption. Charging at home is absolutely part of it and can solve for a LOT of regular commuter traffic, but inevitably it drives the need for availability of charging stations akin to the abundance of fueling stations. To further the challenges, current charging and battery tech requires longer stays at a given charging stop, which means each charger has a higher base utilization rate than a comparable ICE fuel pump. And while this is a continually improving metric, it also means refitting old charging stations on a regular cadence which may prove to be another cost barrier to more 3rd party charging stations here in the US at least.

Similar to other technology deployments like 5G and uber-speed internet, smaller countries can deploy remarkably faster because there's simply less land mass to cover. Bigger countries will struggle to get capacity to the masses, especially when the climate can be so much different across the country itself.

inevitably it drives the need for availability of charging stations akin to the abundance of fueling stations.
Luckily, charging can be much much wider distributed/dispersed. Here, urban planning regulations now require that all public/commercial property (as in not intended for residential use), with parking space for more than 20 cars, must have charging facilities. What makes it easier is that a huge majority of offices etc have for decades had electricity outlets like this in parking lots for pre-heating ICE cars. These are limited to less than 10A, but the concept of bringing electricity to parking lot is not new to people of north.

1726722931591.png

Question : If you run out of petrol you can fill a jerry can with petrol at a petrol station and put it in you tank, what happens if you ev runs out of charge ?

Question : If you run out of petrol you can fill a jerry can with petrol at a petrol station and put it in you tank, what happens if you ev runs out of charge ?

You could fill a jerry can, but how do you get to the petrol station?

Most places are not in walking distance of a petrol station, so you call the AA or RAC who come to you in a van with a can of fuel.

In future they'll come to you in a van with a big battery in it.

Who's actually ever run out of petrol and needed to use a jerry can...

Apart from my dad in 1983. He had to walk two miles up the road to the garage, leaving us very bored kids in the car. He didn't actually have jerry can and needed to buy one at the garage.

Depends what economic group you belong to, most people I know only put £5 maybe £10 worth of petrol in the car at a time

That was us in the 80's. We still only ran out of petrol once!

Edit: actually, to add to that. EVs are cheaper to run, if you have home charging. They're cheaper to maintain too. That makes it a real shame that a purchase is out of reach for lower income households. They probably dont have the option of off street parking and if they do, likely at the mercy of landlords too.

Some of this has already been touched on in the thread, but it is just another way that low income households lose out of saving money.

These aren't arguments against 100% EV adoption over time, just for inclusive policies.

Last edited:
In theory, after there is enough competition from EV mechanics AND you have an EV platform produced in massive numbers. So good if you have a Tesla in Norway, not so good if you have a Fisker anywhere or even an Ioniq in Canada.

In theory, after there is enough competition from EV mechanics AND you have an EV platform produced in massive numbers. So good if you have a Tesla in Norway, not so good if you have a Fisker anywhere or even an Ioniq in Canada.

These aren't mature market problems, and that's when lower income car users can (hopefully) jump on.

We gave up on waiting to get a third row capable EV at a reasonable price and got a used outlander PHEV instead. I know PHEVs have downsides, but we have liked it so far and it is mostly electricity. I kind of like the design even though it means it is less efficient on gas. It only drives the wheels directly with ICE above 43mph or so. Below that the ICE is only a generator, and you drive on electric motors still. That gets rid of the need for a normal transmission, or the sun ring gear style prius/volt transmission. There are definitely some downsides but given our choice not to get a model Y that only left some quite pricey other options. I almost got a EQB actually as those can be had relatively inexpensively, but Mercedes does not have a great battery warranty and the cost to replace it should something go bad seemed prohibitive to me. The outlander battery is much smaller and should be much cheaper to replace, but of course they are a potentially dying company as well. Kia ev9 are not to be found for decent deals used yet. Perhaps in a few years.

So I picket up my bike today and it's quite fun, it's sort of like someone is behind you giving you a push. To be honest the bike is a little big for me and it only took me 10 minutes to fall off the dam thing.
also I was looking at what replacement parts are available and f**k me batteries are not cheap (also shockingly heavy)
1726982558377.png

Back