Electric Vehicle Thread!

Since I have no idea what an electric bike is like I decided it would be wise to spend as little as possible on one

I used to to be keen cyclist and even I found Mrs Cheapchip's ebike lots of fun when I tried it out. It's like going slightly downhill even when going uphill. :)

It'll be interesting to see how rapidly the remaining ~750k ICE cars last. Norway will hit some of those weird transition points first, where petrol stations start closing down as they're no longer viable.

Norway has a few things going for it, other than oil wealth. Large majority of homes have private parking. Used to rely on resistive heating in winter, due to hydro, now giving it surplus capacity on their grid with their transition to mostly air/air heatpumps (the desire in other countries to stick to hydronic heating has made the transition to heatpumps much harder).

Realistically, charging is the limiting factor for EV adoption. Charging at home is absolutely part of it and can solve for a LOT of regular commuter traffic, but inevitably it drives the need for availability of charging stations akin to the abundance of fueling stations. To further the challenges, current charging and battery tech requires longer stays at a given charging stop, which means each charger has a higher base utilization rate than a comparable ICE fuel pump. And while this is a continually improving metric, it also means refitting old charging stations on a regular cadence which may prove to be another cost barrier to more 3rd party charging stations here in the US at least.

Similar to other technology deployments like 5G and uber-speed internet, smaller countries can deploy remarkably faster because there's simply less land mass to cover. Bigger countries will struggle to get capacity to the masses, especially when the climate can be so much different across the country itself.

Back