PS5 DualShock Revealed (DualSense)

I dont think it looks bad in white (or any color) but ok. Wonder what the standard livery will be, for both the box/controller. I get a astrobot vibe seeing it in white :p

My first impression was it looked fantastic, was surprised to see people didn't like it.

I've always liked white electronics though. In fact I think it looks better than all the mock ups with the different colours.

There's definitely a theme going on. The PSVR has the same kind of styling.

My first impression was it looked fantastic, was surprised to see people didn't like it.

I've always liked white electronics though. In fact I think it looks better than all the mock ups with the different colours.

Yes i like it in white, its a nice design, a departure from the DS all the way back in 94. Which might not have been easy to do. They didn't change too much fundementally which is good. There is no big bright LED (it seems) and the new features are intresting for about any game, unlike the rumored heart rate monitor. Also, no LCD screen, which means better battry life and more resources put into the quality of the controller.

Guess you mean white :p
That sentence made me laugh way to much
You didn't buy Sony's special edition DualShock 4 in Zune brown?

As above, the force is supposedly sensations, the difference between mud and ice and sand, and the different trigger feels. Hence I guess Dual for the dual stick heritage and Sense for the sensations of the 'rumble' and force-feedback triggers.
Electrocution is a form of haptic feedback.

I heard about haptic controllers since the 360.
What they mean in this case compared to common dual rumble?

I think it stems from how you hold the controller
Well, yeah, of course. That is my point though, due to the contours of the back of the controller and shape of the trigger i can't just hold it naturally and have to grab it in an unnatural and not quite comfortable way for it to not be an annoyance.

I have issues with XBox triggers pinching my fingers.
Hmm? Considering that the Xbox triggers don't have the overhanging lip on the back edge to pinch with i don't see how that works? :p

I heard about haptic controllers since the 360.
What they mean in this case compared to common dual rumble?
It has variable resistance on the triggers which is pretty major. The other 'rumble' is reportedly very detailed, but we'll have to wait and see.

So Xbox controller size with Sony stick layout. This is actually good as holding a DS was unpleasant for me. I hope the Sony shoulder buttons are better than current Xbox controller though.

y5u790bm9hr41.jpg

Well, yeah, of course. That is my point though, due to the contours of the back of the controller and shape of the trigger i can't just hold it naturally and have to grab it in an unnatural and not quite comfortable way for it to not be an annoyance.

Hmm? Considering that the Xbox triggers don't have the overhanging lip on the back edge to pinch with i don't see how that works? :p

? I feel quiet natural when holding the DS4? Regarding the Xbox pinching, it’s the side bits that pinch, but again I think it’s because of me using the DS4 for 99% of my gaming, likely the opposite is true for you.

Last edited:
It depends on the game and mode. The more stringent and competitive the game mode the more likely for voice chat. The kinect has good mics, but in practice that makes it bad for voice chat because it picks up so much from across the room ... often times people dont realize that their away from game conversations are being heard by everyone in the game. Many times they didn't even realize Kinect was being use for chat. It did a good job of game audio cancellation, so no issues with game audio being echoed back, unlike the cheaper chat headphones and mic.

Everyone I game with prefers dedicated headsets with inline mics.

With all that said, for everyone who ever plays online and not in private parties, I hope Sony doesnt default the controller mics as active and as the default chat device. Yes, that's maybe not consumer friendly and counterintuitive but it's the best settings for everyone involved. No one needs to hear the children being yelled at by their parents or arguments between couples.

I mean having a mute button right on the controller would could in handy for this. Or some type of directional mic that would only pic up the noise from the person holding the controller.

I mean having a mute button right on the controller would could in handy for this. Or some type of directional mic that would only pic up the noise from the person holding the controller.
That's what the mic array is supposed to enable. By removing sounds that arrive at different times across the different microphones, you should be left with just the sounds from directly in front of the array. .

That's what the mic array is supposed to enable. By removing sounds that arrive at different times across the different microphones, you should be left with just the sounds from directly in front of the array. .

Right so it shouldn't be so bad when it comes to background sounds.

With an array, I think they can steer the "focus" within a certain range, and could be combining this with tracking the controller's orientation with the accelerometers, and even continuously track the voice of the player, that could allow a high rejection ratio.

Don't understand the difference about the haptic feedback versus the XB1 impulse triggers. Is this like a version 2?

As for the mic, seems like a nice add. Just can't wait to hear that mic array in PS5 is a godsend but on XB1 having a Kinect with mic array in every box they're going to listen in on every conversation.

Mic will add even more cost in materials & affect on battery life. One would hope that it could be disabled if you want. Too bad they didn't add a mute button unless it's on the bottom? PTT button might better.

All in all I think it looks better than previous PS controllers, but I still wouldn't use it due to the symmetric sticks. I never use my d-pad that much.

Tommy McClain

? I feel quiet natural when holding the DS4?
Sure, people have different sized and shaped hands.

Regarding the Xbox pinching, it’s the side bits that pinch

Again, since there are no overhanging parts of the triggers i really don't see what part is supposed to pinch...
I think it’s because of me using the DS4 for 99% of my gaming, likely the opposite is true for you.

Yeah, sure, but i play mostly on PC so i could use either but i use the Xbox One controller over the DS4.
I am sure if i used the DS4 for most of my gaming i would eventually get more comfortable with it but i picked the Xbox One controller for my PC because it was immediately comfortable and had no ergonomics issues i had to get over.

Back