Sony Playstation Meeting September 7 2016 [PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro, Rumors, Speculations, and News]

I wasn't expecting any 4K support from the slim. Since the rumours that the PS4K Neo would be the 4K console and that it would release close to the "Slim", I've always took for granted only Neo would have 4K media support.
Obviously Sony want to differentiate these two models with more than just some increased rendering power.
If the Neo released (releases?) later next year, then it would be a different case.

Very unlike Sony not to support a fancy optical format. But then Sony not acting like Sony is why Sony is presently doing so well, so perhaps we should expect Sony to not be Sony-like these days?
If PS4 Slim uses same APU and same HDMI 1.4, they can't support UHD BDs and modern 4K streaming services because they don't have access to the latest HDCP.

4K playback would be a nice feature, but it's not stupid to skip 4K, HDR, and clock bump on the slim:
  • No clock bump means slightly lower power and better yield.
  • With Neo it makes for only 2 testing configurations, slim behaves exactly like the launch SKU.
  • Increased differentiation between Neo and Slim.
  • Lower cost in licensing, since not all of the UHD royalties are going to Sony, they must pay part of it.
  • A bit lower drive cost, UHD needs additional DSP power for iMLSE. Some minor changes to optical block.
  • Existing owners still have a reasonable resale value, same performance/features as the Slim.
  • The dozen gamers who want a 4K slim, instead of Neo, might not be enough to offset R&D costs.
While all the little savings might look like a few dollars, add this to the simpler enclosure, and the tiny motherboard, the sum is enough to sell a 1.84TF console at the same price as the competition's 1.4TF, and it would offset the higher cost of GDDR5.

The ONLY reason for a Slim to even exist is to have a lower cost PS4 in the market.

Most headphones use mini-jack.
Does not PS4 support USB audio devices?
USB is only used as power source with PS3 in my case. Optical cable is required to connect the station to console/TV in order to receive the sounds. Again i hope thats only a PS4 slim thing.

Edit:Its possible that PS4 wouldn't need optical connection but i doubt it.

Last edited:
4K playback would be a nice feature, but it's not stupid to skip 4K, HDR, and clock bump on the slim:
  • Increased differentiation between Neo and Slim.
The ONLY reason for a Slim to even exist is to have a lower cost PS4 in the market.

I agree almost totally :) I think more important is, like you listed, differentiation between Neo and "Slim". They easily could have retain old PS4 style with few bucks but now it is easy marketing as Slim looks cheap and Neo most likely looks like premium and familiar like current PS4. I think NEO is really coming soon as there is no marketing point to sell lesser looking Slim only (competing with better looking X1S) or with old stock as nobody would buy slim if there is current PS4 if price is within $50.. (ugly PS4 vs. nice PS4)

Teardown

Could anyone measure die size?
playstation4slimteardsxsbg.jpg

playstation4slimteardpdsij.jpg

Yay! Most of my airflow and layout predictions were correct!

Wow, they still managed to have an intake on both sides of the fan, and the ram is still on the underside. :oops:

Last edited:
It's difficult because of the paste... I get 12mm x 14mm, so about 168mm2 ?
What is the process of measuring this?

1.2 cm x 1.4 cm is incredibly tiny.
For reference ps4: 19mmx18.3 = 384mm2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1.2 cm x 1.4 cm is incredibly tiny.

I used the CR2032 diameter for scale (20mm), and tried to determine the corners of the SoC. I'm probably way off, we can't see anything because there's too much paste.

1) Get screenshot.

Image1.jpg

Full size. May be able to get a sharper frame but I don't know how to rip YT movies.

2) Measure relative dimensions of chip. I think it's this in orange?
image2.png

3) Compare against a known component in the same image. In this, I've got nothing. ;) Mr. Fox says the battery, of course, which is 20mm (according to him).

image3.png

Thus, the chip is 100/162 x 20mm and 128/162 x 20mm, or 12.3 by 15.8, approximately. 194 mm^2.

This event is getting ridiculous :oops:
Hopefully the event will focus on Neo, I have no idea how they can "unveil" anything about the slim now, other than the price which takes like 5 seconds after the long preamble....

(dramatization) "We believe in providing you, the gamers, great experiences at a great price. All the technology allowing us to reduce the size and cost of the new playstation four slim will be passed down to you the gamers. Because we believe in gaming, we want you the gamers to have easier access to games. The great price I'm about to announce will enable more gamers than ever to enjoy the great experiences we always provided. Games like Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Spider Man, Detroit Being Human, and even GranTurismo Sports and The Last Guardian if these titles ever come out. I am very proud to be the one announcing you, the gamers, what the price of the new slim will be. I'm going to tell you right now, after going through some sales figures, but before that, let's look at another sizzle reel you could have watched on the internet instead of coming physically to this press conference."

Reactions: scf
It is certainly laughable that we've had a teardown before the thing is even released. I can imagine the meet where they were discussing how to change their reveal plans.

"Okay, everyone knows the slim is a thing. How's about we show them how well it's made and the care and detail? We could do a full teardown maybe? Those things take like 20 minutes and prove pretty popular on the internet.."
"Yeah, worth a shot."
"Oh shit. Ifixit beat us."
"Um...I was reading this suggestion on the internet by Mr Fox about how we could drag this out using waffle and sizzle reels."
"Go for it!"

"We believe in providing you, the gamers, great experiences at a great price. All the technology allowing us to reduce the size and cost of the new playstation four slim will be passed down to you the gamers. Because we believe in gaming, we want you the gamers to have easier access to games. The great price I'm about to announce will enable more gamers than ever to enjoy the great experiences we always provided. Games like Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Spider Man, Detroit Being Human, and even GranTurismo Sports and The Last Guardian if these titles ever come out. I am very proud to be the one announcing you, the gamers, what the price of the new slim will be. I'm going to tell you right now, after going through some sales figures, but before that, let's look at another sizzle reel you could have watched on the internet instead of coming physically to this press conference."
920x920.jpg

1) Get screenshot.

View attachment 1560

Full size. May be able to get a sharper frame but I don't know how to rip YT movies.

2) Measure relative dimensions of chip. I think it's this in orange?
View attachment 1561

3) Compare against a known component in the same image. In this, I've got nothing. ;) Mr. Fox says the battery, of course, which is 20mm (according to him).

View attachment 1562

Thus, the chip is 100/162 x 20mm and 128/162 x 20mm, or 12.3 by 15.8, approximately. 194 mm^2.
Ahh! Counting pixels! Lol now I get it haha that's actually pretty good. Interesting!

Back