Star Wars Battlefront [PS4, XO]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
Can we really expect these visuals to hold up? Or will there be another downgrade like their other game, The Division?

What do you mean "their" other game? The Division is made by Ubisoft, so it wasn't really that much of a surprise to see it being downgraded. They really have a tradition of doing this kind of thing. I can't remember the last time EA/DICE has downgraded a game after showing actual gameplay footage of it, so I highly doubt this will this happen. I'm not a fan of EA, but one thing they definitely do well is not lying about what their games look like.

What do you mean "their" other game? The Division is made by Ubisoft, so it wasn't really that much of a surprise to see it being downgraded. They really have a tradition of doing this kind of thing. I can't remember the last time EA/DICE has downgraded a game after showing actual gameplay footage of it, so I highly doubt this will this happen. I'm not a fan of EA, but one thing they definitely do well is not lying about what their games look like.

meh the division was first shown off at e3 2013 so its not like they had much time with the new consoles and neither of the consoles are exactly power houses. That is why we are getting the down grades

we only had a 33 second teaser for this game back in 2013

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/06/10/star-wars-battlefront-teaser-e3-2013-ea-conference

The DS4 is working on Windows on PC. It will not be the first PC footage to be shown on a console conference. And I am a PS4 only owner. No troll. I have a PC notebook without a good GPU.

I think the visual on the PC video would have been not so far at 30 fps on PS4. Not so impressive but not far. The developer choose gameplay and framerate for Battlefield and Star War Battlefront.

Here's the problem with your opinion on the footage being PC.

DICE made Frostbite 2 engine to run specifically on PS3 and X360 for console parity and near "first party dev level effort"which for a multiplat is not easy.

Meanwhile the PC version of BF3 had it's own version of Frostbite 2 because according to DICE and later benchmarks... the PC was made to require DX 10 compliant GPUs while having exclusive DX 11 and extra level for that compliant hardware.

There are presentation slides here on Beyond still just search for them.

The other problem with your opinion is that both PS4 and Xbone have very similar hardware and as such were being touted as "easier to dev for" and these consoles were final and retail in 2013.

It's 2015 and just two to three years and talented dev teams and 3d engine can make a lot more improvements so a basic pre-alpha or beta build of the game (as we have all seen with presentation builds of Halo, Killzone 2/3, Resistance 2/3, BF 3/4/H you are no longer dealing with having to show all your cards on the table.

Hence it makes sense that DICE has been prioritizing PS4 and Xbone Frostbite 3 or whatever revision it is for the last couple years and they would know or have the benefit of the doubt here as for a PC version even if it does simultaneously release, it's no doubt going to have to have the extra "ultra setting" which will add stuff like real fluid spit shine HDR Bloom... :)

Why Vader & Luke ?
I understand the marketing appeal, but can we leave the characters from the movies out, except maybe for a few radio messages ?
That's just plain dumb in my book.

Because it's E3 expo, a new film is also coming out and with the auditorium filled with journos and gamers who have grown up watching (note that mainstream news also gives coverage) hence it makes sense to create a roar of cheers to further hype the press and public.

The duel didn't make sense because it wasn't fighter pilot outfit Luke, it was RotJ Luke yet the point is to dramatize battles...

I'm of the opinion that the ability to control a Star Destroyer is also part of the surprise...but that's speculation.

They were in Battlefront 2 and pretty much all the Star Wars games and other Expanded Universe I've seen until now, where applicable, even KOTOR (which occurs 3000 years BBY, or before episode IV).
There are a ton of things that Lucas envisioned for the universe in episodes 4-6 but never made into the movies for the obvious budget and technological constraints.

A lot of those things are part of what has to be edited out of the films as well because it might look silly if not executed properly like how we barely get a split second of Episode I Obi Wan and Qui Gon force dash-sprinting which almost looks cartoony.

All along this is that George Lucas envisioned a Galactic technology that is technically ancient mixed with sword and sorcery.

Hyperspace technology in episode I is treated as something that can be found in junkyards.

In BF2 they were limited to some classes. And just the jetpacks. Personal shields only happened with Droidekas. IMO personal shields is something of a violation of the spirit of SW. The rebel fights were low key, guys with guns, not high tech gadget fests. This recreation is a contemporary shooter game with a SW skin. It's not even as epic as BF2. Hoth in BF2 is a vast expanse (not even the size of the actual Hoth battle), and with sizeable armies on PC. This is more a skirmish.

It'll probably play fine, but I still feel it'd be better without the BF name. BF should be reserved for big battlefields.

It's interesting to think of the technology differences and ram when comparing the old Battlefronts games to the new Frostbite powered one...

Ram alone has taken a gargantuan leap but all those effects, volumetric lights, smoke, mist, fog, shadows, etc plus resolution and then there's the current level of DICE's mastery or familiarity with current consoles.

Although I liked what I saw and still and of the opinion that the game should have been able to have 64 players online...but perhaps there's something we don't yet know.

Also Shifty...we have mainstream console gamers that are used to personal and large shields from Resistance/Halo series last gen and the fact that in the movies the reasoning behind the combat dictates that foot soldiers are silly...you got these walkers and Tie Fighters...never mind orbital bombardment which was mentioned in EsB.

Someone riding a TaunTaun has got to be out of their minds in such a universe.

Actually when the player was firing his hand gun laser...that was ridiculous...the bazooka made more sense obviously.

Seriously. This game could look like a movie if it didn't have that stupid HUD.

Ahh the argument of "the game could loom like a movie" but when a game dev makes a game that looks like a movie the reviewers and gamers argue that it wasn't barely a game.

it's ps4 footage, maybe we can expect more particles and/or smoke from PC version ? Maybe even volumetric smoke like in batman.

Damn...volumetric smoke was such a rage when Killzone 2 was shown...that feature has to be pretty much a standard flip switch feature now on current gen for all games.

Can we really expect these visuals to hold up? Or will there be another downgrade like their other game, The Division?

Like was implied earlier but also here's the thing.

If you didn't play the single or online mode of Battlefield 3, 4 and maybe Hardline on consoles then you pretty much are going to think how you do.

Look specifically at BF4 and Hardline via youtube or rent it...you can get a general idea of what to expect.

Yeah despite knowing for all these months I still wish there was a single player campaign for all playable sides...but that would add dev time right?

The only PC footage shown at E3 was the AMD press conference footage of Hoth. There was no playable PC or XB1 SWB demos at E3, only PS4.

Hands-on with PS4...

@7:42 talks about the graphical fidelity.

@:50 talks about graphical fidelity and Tatooine.

@12:07 talks about playing the co-op game mode.

@8:30 amazed that its running on a PS4 (30fps mentioned).

@1:58 these aren't PS4's, these are hidden Titans... :LOL:

If the PS4 sounds this good... I can't wait to play this on my beast (PC) at 4K. :devilish:

Part of what I'm saying is basically that DICE'S claim to fame was that they set oit to make their Frostbite 2 and onwards (as previously discovered here years ago) and effectively deliver console parity at near first party level dev effort or equal and then of course the PC gets a more native and extra image experience (plus extra cost)

At this point there's two full current generation console Frostbite 3 engine games, there's that whole thing about current gen being more accessible to get things going however yeah as already mentioned that the current consoles are powerhouses but they are still upgrades...

So usually around this many years into a console generation we start to see some amazing "no way in hell that's in-game" level graphics (remember Killzone 2, Uncharted 2?)

As a multiplatform dev, DICE has been really aggressive...I did notice that Need for Speed is using Frostbite as is that Golfgame.

I would also imagine or foolishly assume that despite their efforts that DICE is acclimated far more to these current gen consoles than they were last gen by this time in the lifecycle (we were talking more Unreal engine and the looming CryEngine3) so as far as competition (they are targeting CoD sales, perhaps Halo sales...I don't think Battlefield has sold as much yet...I could be wrong but Star wars is serious fanboy business)

I've read up on speculation that Frostbite has many problems but specially on consoles there should be some heavy revisions by now...

Whatever the case the game will have it's console limits yes but being familiar with Battlefields and competing Crysis and even last gen Resistance 3 and Killzones, at least so far these videos are on target for what they are.

We need some developer docs or even interviews but don't see any current need until the hype fest come October or November.

I suspect EA is gonna have at least two or four different types of Star Wars based games a year (different genres) and DICE has no other option but to truly master and revise Frostbite to each PS4 and Xbone to deliver either aggressive parity or first party level visuals even if say there's a game that is just mediocre.

They definitely have ambitions...if they remake KOTOR eventually as a remake sequel that's guaranteed crazy sales.

We might get spoiled a bit but comparing still images to last gens is crazy.

Also I should add that the battle of Genesis in AotC film represented some heavy use of volumetric smoke/dust and battle/war chaos which is something that so far I haven't really seen replicated much...I thought I saw bits of it in Killzone 2 due to the volumetric smoke being realistic and not just poof it's gone...real war is chaotic...eventually WWII games Wil have to be revisited and leap over the arcadey joke of the CoD efforts.

I wonder how big are the maps. I would have loved to use the speedbikes on hoth. But somewhat the gameplay demonstration level looked kinda cropped or limited in some areas , for the objectives maybe.
Of course this is no 32 vs 32 players. But I would ' ve loved to be higher than 20 vs 20 players. Maybe it will on PC.

I like the smoe effects here : http://media.giphy.com/media/xTiTnLXjsiJCHdnCjm/giphy.gif

I like the idea of not having ammos on the blaster rifles but having them to overheat and you have to use it wisely while it is recharging however I never was fan of laser guns in FPS games.

edit : Here' gamersyde video footage
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_star_wars_battlefront_videos-16776_en.html

Last edited:
Also I should add that the battle of Genesis in AotC film represented some heavy use of volumetric smoke/dust and battle/war chaos which is something that so far I haven't really seen replicated much...I thought I saw bits of it in Killzone 2 due to the volumetric smoke being realistic and not just poof it's gone...real war is chaotic...eventually WWII games Wil have to be revisited and leap over the arcadey joke of the CoD efforts.
KZ2 has no volumetric smoke.

KZ2 has no volumetric smoke.

I have the Killzone 2 documetary that was only English subtitled and mostly aimed for European gamers sites...

I played the game...I could be wrong but the smoke effect in old Killzone 2 had that..realistic lingering and blocking of vision which is what smoke from real war does...not saying the game was realistic with the smoke but it wasn't a cheap smoke and mirrors trick.

Iirc that smoke effect went AWOL in Killzone 3 (a casualty of MLAA?) and it's too bad GG didn't make an enhanced port of the PS-Vita Killzone or use their last gen tech to remake Killzone 1.

Also are there any presentation slides we can get in pdf from Frostbite 2 and Frostbite 3?

Also the videos from SWHQ despite them being in E3...well they are not a real official EA or Lucasfilm or anything but SW fans...those guys respun old footage just to talk over...worse than reading old quotes of quotes of a quote.

It still gave off sweet effect that I have not seen in any other games. The smoke would deflect off whatever in its way. I seen it bounce off like 6 differnt objects with each changing the direction before flying off the map. :cool:

I have the Killzone 2 documetary that was only English subtitled and mostly aimed for European gamers sites...

I played the game...I could be wrong but the smoke effect in old Killzone 2 had that..realistic lingering and blocking of vision which is what smoke from real war does...not saying the game was realistic with the smoke but it wasn't a cheap smoke and mirrors trick.

Iirc that smoke effect went AWOL in Killzone 3 (a casualty of MLAA?) and it's too bad GG didn't make an enhanced port of the PS-Vita Killzone or use their last gen tech to remake Killzone 1.

Also are there any presentation slides we can get in pdf from Frostbite 2 and Frostbite 3?
The smoke effects were great, I agree but they were not volumetric. I just wanted to clear that up.

The smoke effects were great, I agree but they were not volumetric. I just wanted to clear that up.

Just wanted to add, I've been reviewing all my Killzone 2 tech/interview videos and kept noticing the wording of particles, smoke and wind effects... I know GG made a custom console only 3d engine...I understand somewhere along the line of all the PC/Crysis/DirectX9/10 hype volumetric smoke was blurred into my human memory lol.

No wonder I confused it...also I have been replaying Crysis 1 and Warhead 64bit for different reasons related to mention of the Endor forest and wind effects here in this thread while also reviewing BF4...

Thing is I still think about the Attack of the Clones Battle of Geonosys scene where tons of smoke/dust gets raised up and so far only Killzone 2 came close to replicating that type of scene even if it wasn't their intention.

Back