News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of amazing how big a turnaround things have been for Microsoft on the gaming side, both PC and Xbox since Phil Spencer took over.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/22/windows-10-gaming-interview/

This is a nice turn around from the Xbox foundation where they had a need to separate PC from console in order to give the console it's own identity.

But now that it has established itself as a console it no longer needs that seperation. Because Microsoft finally realise that most console gamers don't game on PC and most PC gamers don't game on console. There's some overlap, of course, but not a significant amount that the good will engendered by offering cross-platform games with cross-platform play would be diminished by potential sales lost to cross platform players.

Hopefully the other console maker's come to this realization as well. The last generation was the last generation where I plan to buy games on console and PC. Microsoft will still potentially make money off of me. But not so much the other two.

Although cross-platform licensing (getting one version if you buy the other version) might get me to still buy and play games on console if I also got the PC version (which would get the majority of my play time) along with it.

Regards,
SB

Kind of amazing how big a turnaround things have been for Microsoft on the gaming side, both PC and Xbox since Phil Spencer took over.

He kind of hints at a drawbridge like structure.

"One of the monthly updates that you'll get on [Xbox One] is gonna change from the Windows 8 kernel that's in there now to the Windows 10 kernel...I know a lot of people are excited about things like Cortana and other features they see on Windows 10. Obviously getting on the Windows 10 kernel -- well, it's not really the kernel -- but Windows 10 OS inside of Xbox One is an important first step to unlock a lot of what [Microsoft's Joe Belfiore] showed."

Microsoft actually look like they're seriously about trying some of that strategic vertical integration that Apple do so well and that Sony still can't seem to nail. Not everything has to fit into a big master plan but when when network services complement your software and hardware, your software complements your hardware and your hardware works seamlessly together via software and networking, then it's easier for people to slide into single cohesive ecosystem and stay there.

Indeed, makes me think of the original leaks before the reveal that where talking about a Xbox mini that was an apple TV type device that also Streamed 360 games through the Xbox one.

http://www.vgleaks.com/microsoft-xbox-roadmap-2013

If that was true it seems now all the sub components might be aligning.

I think its a combination of Spencer and Nadella. Their "open-ness" since the both of them have been in place is very noticeable: Steam support on Win10/Xbox, Major Nelson hosting Google + Hangouts, Microsoft fitness band with android and iOS apps, they're finally "getting it." You don't have to force people into your products and services, just make it really easy and obvious for them to choose them.

Reactions: Jwm
Indeed, makes me think of the original leaks before the reveal that where talking about a Xbox mini that was an apple TV type device that also Streamed 360 games through the Xbox one.

http://www.vgleaks.com/microsoft-xbox-roadmap-2013

If that was true it seems now all the sub components might be aligning.
That device was real, correct? As was the surface mini? Just for whatever reason they put it back in the closet. Or the rumors on the Xbox TV got confused into the digital tuner that is out now.

The new controller update is nice. Controller syncs up a lot faster. Not sure what the "stability" improvements are. I'm guessing there must have been some issues with controllers not syncing and stuff like that.

That device was real, correct? As was the surface mini? Just for whatever reason they put it back in the closet. Or the rumors on the Xbox TV got confused into the digital tuner that is out now.
The surface mini was killed because of how poorly RT did. I fully expect with windows 10 that we will get a surface mini with cherry trail a 7 inch 3:2 tablet that ranges from $200 to $500 and then we will see a surface pro just like today's 3 with cherry trail from $400 to $700 and then the skydale ulv from the $800 to $1800 price point.

Xbox TV was scrapped but we will see it come back as the the xbox one apu is shrunk down

Windows on ARM will live on with Win10 on devices under 8" so I'm not sure cherry trail would be a lock for such a device.

Biggest improvement to the new dash I've noticed seems to be overall speed. Shrinking a game down to the home screen window and the time it takes to get there or back, definitely feels quicker. There is a new option for 24Hz Blu-ray playback. Also it can now discover connected components over HDMI (ie. cable box, etc.) to configure IR codes (this might have actually happened in the previous update). Definitely getting much more solid all around both in features and usability. Just waiting until they drop Windows 10 under it and break everything again. Sigh.

The new controller update is nice. Controller syncs up a lot faster. Not sure what the "stability" improvements are. I'm guessing there must have been some issues with controllers not syncing and stuff like that.
By stability improvements they probably mean fixing the controller from randomly disconnecting --I hope so. This happened to me with the Day One gamepad bundled with the console, but not with the second one I purchased some months ago.

I blamed it on a bad contact, because it was an isolated case and it didn't happen constantly. It seems that that wasn't the problem. I even wrote a comment about it on a Youtube video from Major Nelson.

On another note, for anyone interested, if you people want a 24 karats Xbox One controller made of gold, it costs.... 300$.

Additionally, it seems that personal challenges are on the way to Xbox One!

http://www.purexbox.com/news/2015/01/rumour_personal_challenges_on_the_way_to_xbox_one

630x.jpg
gilded-gaming-check-out-these-24-karat-gold-gaming-controllers-by-colorware-2.jpg

Xbox TV was scrapped but we will see it come back as the the xbox one apu is shrunk down

360 apu?
As I assume to play 360 titles (from the leak) it will need Xenon/Xenos and a die shrink is the best way to make this thermally managable and quite in the small for factor people would expect of this sort of device.

Extending my Xbox one and TV inputs to another room whilst also unleashing my Xbox live arcade collection all via a single networked box would be right up my purchase Street.

Ahh, I remember at the time some of us were speculation that such a device would be killer if it could do native streaming with no additional controller lag. Judging by where they are today at 720p at 30fps, it was probably a bit too early for that dream. Should be 1080p by 60fps, which would allow native for most games.

In the long-run it should be much cheaper, however they are taking so long I have already started to outfit the house with more units. LOL

360 apu?
As I assume to play 360 titles (from the leak) it will need Xenon/Xenos and a die shrink is the best way to make this thermally managable and quite in the small for factor people would expect of this sort of device.

Extending my Xbox one and TV inputs to another room whilst also unleashing my Xbox live arcade collection all via a single networked box would be right up my purchase Street.
Yes my bad , the main problem for the 360 soc is the edram. They have to wait for a process that can handle that.

But that is also why we haven't seen a price drop or shrink of the xbox 360 which it despretely needs.

It seems like the one wont get media center and I have about 10 xbox 360s for that task and some are old ( I have a day one launch 360 still running like a champ but the fans are getting loud) So I want to start swapping them out but i'm waiting for another shrink

Yes my bad , the main problem for the 360 soc is the edram. They have to wait for a process that can handle that.

But that is also why we haven't seen a price drop or shrink of the xbox 360 which it despretely needs.

It seems like the one wont get media center and I have about 10 xbox 360s for that task and some are old ( I have a day one launch 360 still running like a champ but the fans are getting loud) So I want to start swapping them out but i'm waiting for another shrink

I suppose on the plus side having the HANA chip means they could add the video compression there simply outside the main system and keep the implementation quite clean,

Did not know edram was stalling die shrinks, is this as the chips where originally descret they where designed on different foundrys technology?

I have a few dead 360's that where destined to be Xbox media centres should the old app ever get compiled to run, as it is they are collecting dust although one I did tinker with, dvd drive left so I could add a second huge heatsink inside and ripped apart the external HDD housing to get that 2.5 internal. I think it's gone the way of the dodo now but was a good weekends project.

China is going to open up more markets to Xbox One (this includes the PS4 and WiiU of course) in the upcoming months.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Chin...Xbox-One-Wii-U-and-PlayStation-4-471623.shtml

Xbox One sales tops 11 million units. A solid second.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/252952/xbox-one-sales-top-11-million-units-worldwide/

The frustrating process of taking a screenshot on the Xbox One:

http://www.vg247.com/2015/01/29/how-to-take-a-screenshot-on-xbox-one/

Down with the news, if you want to relax, look at this video of a fox filmed popping into a Café Nero in central London. o_O:yes:

All MS talks/workshops for GDC 2015:
http://www.davevoyles.com/microsofts-talks-gdc-2015/

As for Other talks I'm seeing:
* a lot of powerVR / Imagination sessions with their Ray Tracing coming up a lot. There is a speaker named Rys talking at one such session, is that the same person who moderates here?

* Seems like 1 talk about new GPU features for Maxwell MK2, a second presentation about VXGI. Nvidia has quite a few sessions on GRID game streaming, more cloud stuff.

* OIT to Volumetric Shadow Mapping, 101 Uses for Raster Ordered Views using DirectX 12 (Presented by Intel)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back