News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there been any word on what's happening on the console when someone is streaming? Can the rest of the family continue to use the tv functions, etc?

Why would anyone want to stream to windows? It's not as if a tablet is at all a good form factor for playing xbox one games. There's certainly no benefit in streaming to a desktop. The only folks slightly interested in doing that would have a gaming PC far more powerful. Someone with a crappy Dell workstation? They wouldn't bother and would be a gamer solely on the Xbox, not PC form factor.

They wouldn't want to stream to the xbox from PC either (which would make more sense and works great with Steam -> HTPC) because that would de-value the "power" of the Xbone.
Several things I can think of:

- Stream to your PC screen when your demanding girlfriend, wife, partner, etc, takes over the TV and they won't let go. It happens a lot.

- What @Rockster and @Shifty said.

- Streaming to another device and have two people playing using a single copy of the game on Xbox One. Think of Gaikai. :smile2:

- Record videos on your PC without the need a capture card. :smile2:

Stream to your PC screen when your demanding girlfriend, wife, partner, etc, takes over the TV and they won't let go. It happens a lot.

I'll be using streaming for this reason A LOT. Just don't call her demanding. She'll demand your head on a plate. ;)

Streaming to another device and have two people playing using a single copy of the game on Xbox One.

One Xbox serving up a game for 2 different screens? That is intriguing, and something I hadn't considered.

The game would have to be built with dual streams in mind, and obviously the visuals would need to be pared back somewhat, but in essence it's not that different from splitscreen gaming.

If the 2nd screen is within wifi range then you don't even have controller latency to contend with. Your 2nd controller could talk directly to the Xbox, and the only latency is on the display stream. Not entirely lag-free, but much better than a controller pass-thru solution.

What is a thin client? Just curious..
A very minimal computing device that streams the input to results from a full-fledged computer. In the olden days when computers were massive, operators used a thin client terminal which had the basics of input via keyboard and output via a display. All the computing was done on the mainframe. All the first computers were mainframes and thing clients. And then computing shrunk to being to give an operator their own, discrete computer - the personal computer or PC.

I'll be using streaming for this reason A LOT. Just don't call her demanding. She'll demand your head on a plate. ;)
hahah, it looks to me that maybe your girlfriend/wife has mastered the slipper launch technique... or maybe she has a good grasp of the "beating head with frying pan" method and more painful things... Typical. :D

One Xbox serving up a game for 2 different screens? That is intriguing, and something I hadn't considered.

The game would have to be built with dual streams in mind, and obviously the visuals would need to be pared back somewhat, but in essence it's not that different from splitscreen gaming.

If the 2nd screen is within wifi range then you don't even have controller latency to contend with. Your 2nd controller could talk directly to the Xbox, and the only latency is on the display stream. Not entirely lag-free, but much better than a controller pass-thru solution.
Your idea is something I hadn't considered either. I was thinking more about the lines of using a second screen to play a 2-players game locally on a different screen..but using a second screen in a game while you stream to it sounds really good, think of the possibilities -and I am not just talking about a 2nd screen for games like Forza in order to increase the FOV-.

hahah, it looks to me that maybe your girlfriend/wife has mastered the slipper launch technique... or maybe she has a good grasp of the "beating head with frying pan" method and more painful things... Typical. :D

What she does definitely falls under the 'more painful things' category - we train in Hung Kuen!

Your idea is something I hadn't considered either. I was thinking more about the lines of using a second screen to play a 2-players game locally on a different screen..but using a second screen in a game while you stream to it sounds really good, think of the possibilities -and I am not just talking about a 2nd screen for games like Forza in order to increase the FOV-.

Actually I was talking about 2 players playing the same game on one console using different screens, hence the mention of the 2nd controller. :)

Actually I was talking about 2 players playing the same game on one console using different screens, hence the mention of the 2nd controller. :)
Ah, okay, I got it mixed up -I initially thought you wrote dual screens, instead of dual streams-. Still, it brought up something which might be interesting.., being able to use a game with an additional screen -nice to increase FOV in say.. Forza, an additional dron like camera view, watching a movie remotely in two different rooms at your house (i.e. something sexy, so the other person can't see you), etc etc-.

@Shifty Geezer many thanks for the reply.

Why would anyone want to stream to windows? It's not as if a tablet is at all a good form factor for playing xbox one games. There's certainly no benefit in streaming to a desktop. The only folks slightly interested in doing that would have a gaming PC far more powerful. Someone with a crappy Dell workstation? They wouldn't bother and would be a gamer solely on the Xbox, not PC form factor.

For me playing on a desktop or laptop will certainly be useful given we only have one XBOX One in the house and its connected to the primary TV; that's save on some clashes. I'd disagree on the Tablet comment as well - any Win 10 table with USB input will be a great solution with the controller connected as all you need is the screen and the controller - this is a great use case scenario for Surface.

Anyway, its confirmed that PC -> XBOX One streaming is being investigated:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-22-microsoft-investigating-pc-to-xbox-one-streaming

Several things I can think of:

- Stream to your PC screen when your demanding girlfriend, wife, partner, etc, takes over the TV and they won't let go. It happens a lot.

- What @Rockster and @Shifty said.

- Streaming to another device and have two people playing using a single copy of the game on Xbox One. Think of Gaikai. :smile2:

- Record videos on your PC without the need a capture card. :smile2:

Did we just find a use for the 2nd GCP? #1 is Game OS, so it would be busy streaming games. #2 is for system, so the X1 can still play Netflix, handle HDMI pass-through playing, apps, etc?

Yep only up to two votes - http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/25...ce-controller-add-on-similar-to-razer-edge-co

Anyway, its confirmed that PC -> XBOX One streaming is being investigated:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-22-microsoft-investigating-pc-to-xbox-one-streaming

Now that's what I want. I'm not capable of putting a PC in my living room nor running a cable to it. And after spending the whole day at the PC, I don't want to sit in front of one at home.

There's only a couple of possibilities for this 1. Steam machines, 2. Nvidia if they choose to make a small box (basically their shield innards) or 3. MS with the Xbone.

If MS were to do it, I think it would help them fight off Steam machines. Provided those things take off, but a cheap streaming solution from a gaming PC is a threat to the consoles and shouldn't be ignored by them. It's another way to get people into the Xbox and Windows ecosystem. Maybe it doesn't create a lot of additional business, but certainly keeps competitors at bay.

Also, I imagine that backing support into the OS layer would probably result in much better quality and performance versus another application running between the game and the os. Its basically a high quality of remote desktop.

It's incredible how microsoft has gone from erring anything to making anyone happy
Tell me about it, I'm in the process of signing up for //Build/ right now. It's moving as slow as molasses. I'm on stage 2... lol I need to get to stage 4 to confirm my payment. Whatever it is, the server is being slammed hard now.

edit: I didn't make it =(
I should never had attempted to fill out anything in full, do their survey, or do the hotel thing... should have skipped right to the ticket. I'm so stupid, I got in first, and never got to the end. I'm crying on the inside as much as a man nerd would. This would have been my first big conference haha.. shit =( the company was even willing to pay. Let is be a lesson to everyone! argg

Last edited:
Has there been any word on what's happening on the console when someone is streaming? Can the rest of the family continue to use the tv functions, etc?

"Our intent is somebody could be watching television on the Xbox One — and I say watching television running any Windows application," he said. "So the Xbox One's capable of running one Xbox game and multiple Windows applications at the same time. Our goal as a team is to enable that you would be able to do both.

"Now, we haven't perfectly landed that yet."

Spencer said while he didn't discuss that on stage he wants to be transparent and let people know that the goal is "to enable a scenario where if my kids are watching TV, and I want to go up and play Forza ... I can just go do that and they wouldn't even know what's happened. It just loads in the background, obviously I wouldn't shut down the console like I did in my demo, so that's our intent.

"We just haven't landed the scenario. It does take us the horsepower for the Xbox to obviously play the game but to obviously play the stream."

He added that he's almost certain they'll be able to "land that scenario."

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/22/7875167/xbox-one-to-pc-game-streaming

Good, that's exactly how it should work.

to enable a scenario where if my kids are watching TV, and I want to go up and play Forza ... I can just go do that and they wouldn't even know what's happened. It just loads in the background, obviously I wouldn't shut down the console like I did in my demo, so that's our intent.

I don't know how they could possibly do this - stream a 1080p 60fps game to a tablet + (4K TV/Movie - once they enable 4K, Windows universal app) ...

impressive if the XB1 can eventually do that!!

I don't know how they could possibly do this - stream a 1080p 60fps game to a tablet + (4K TV/Movie - once they enable 4K, Windows universal app) ...

impressive if the XB1 can eventually do that!!
Is there specific 'streaming based hardware' found in either console? I recognize that they use the mpeg encoders built into the GPUs, but is there anything else to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back