DriveClub by Evolution Studios [PS4]

Probably like Resogun. Automatically slowed down to 30fps. But I can feel slightly lag compared to the PS4 version.

Does Resogun slow down (when viewing it on the TV screen)? I was under the impression that the remote-play feature is tied into the gameplay video feature (or vice-versa) and that all the PS4 does, is continuously record a video stream at 30fps. If you have remote-play enabled, that stream that can also be used to save as a video is transmitted/streamed to the screen on your Vita on the fly. You are, therefore, effectively playing a video stream that is recorded at 30fps while the Vita sends the controller mapping that controls the game on the PS4. I'd be quiet surprised if there is any logic that a game-dev has to take into mind for remote play since it's practically enabled by default, regardless if there's a Vita connected to it or not. I'm also not sure you would have more lag - just more noticable because the game actually runs at the double the speed and you're not seeing the updates as frequent enough as the game developer intended... :?:

IMO, you shouldn't have more lag if the game runs at 30 or 60 - it's just more noticable in one instance because you're playing it on a 30fps feed.

Does Resogun slow down (when viewing it on the TV screen)? I was under the impression that the remote-play feature is tied into the gameplay video feature (or vice-versa) and that all the PS4 does, is continuously record a video stream at 30fps. If you have remote-play enabled, that stream that can also be used to save as a video is transmitted/streamed to the screen on your Vita on the fly. You are, therefore, effectively playing a video stream that is recorded at 30fps while the Vita sends the controller mapping that controls the game on the PS4. I'd be quiet surprised if there is any logic that a game-dev has to take into mind for remote play since it's practically enabled by default, regardless if there's a Vita connected to it or not. I'm also not sure you would have more lag - just more noticable because the game actually runs at the double the speed and you're not seeing the updates as frequent enough as the game developer intended... :?:

IMO, you shouldn't have more lag if the game runs at 30 or 60 - it's just more noticable in one instance because you're playing it on a 30fps feed.

On Vita, I felt that the ship didn't react to my sticks as quickly as on the PS4 + DS4.

Just habit, I imagine. Those are the only two normally "accepted" framerates these days. Plus it still matches up frame times on all TVs. 40 would work on a 120Hz or 240Hz display, but 50 wouldn't really match up with anything, it would be juddery..
It would only match the frame times on TVs if tv can accept and display 120hz/240hz signal properly. (or use G-Sync like tech.)
Currently I do not know sing TV that handles any refresh rates that are not multiplies of 24, 50 or 60hz.

This means all sorts of judder if framerate is not constant 15, 20, 30 or 60 fps.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would only match the frame times on TVs if tv can accept and display 120hz/240hz signal properly. (or use G-Sync like tech.)
Currently I do not know sing TV that handles any refresh rates that are not multiplies of 24, 50 or 60hz.

This means all sorts of judder if framerate is not constant 5, 20, 30 or 60 fps.

At constant 5fps or 20fps (under 24fps) you will still have some juddering by the way. ;)

Even if the game is running 60fps under the hood and rendering each frame just as fast at 30 as it would have at 60, 30fps is going to produce longer average times from input to visible output than 60fps feed. Every other frame that should be there, isn't shown to the player at all, and it takes an extra frame before the results/responses of a "skipped" frame get to the player.

That wouldn't quite be added input lag in the normal sense of the screen showing a delayed response, but it's a related issue.

At constant 5fps or 20fps (under 24fps) you will still have some juddering by the way. ;)
Really depends on your definition of judder. Sometimes people use it to denote any perceptible non-smoothness of motion. But it's often used to refer to perceptible inconsistancies in motion smoothness, and in some cases it's strictly used for inconsistancies caused by conversion from one framerate to another non-multiple framerate.

Also, why are you using "under 24fps" as a cutoff?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was actually refering to added lag comparing a native 30fps game played through remote play compared to a game that runs at 60 but displays at 30 through remote play.

I would think that remote play adds a fixed amount of lateny regardless if it's a 30fps or 60fps game that is running, because the PS4 hardware simply captures the screen at its fixed (30fps) framerate and the whole process + sending/receiving + rendering on the target device is relatively a fixed value.

Despite being tapped out on 'serious' driving games since Gran Turismo 2, I'm getting interested in this and it's mostly about the tracks. I've driven round the same tracks and city circuits in so many games that I just want to race somewhere different. And they sure as hell have made the environments look nice which gives it a great atmosphere.

The latest clips have me convinced that they are targeting 30fps, very disappointing.

Seconded. It may have been tolerable in Motorstorm because it was kind of a fun arcade racer, but with a car game aiming for realism (at least the visuals are) and overall rather realistic driving behaviour, 60fps would have been a must in order to achieve the precision and feel of the game. Very disappointing, but I actually never expected it going by what was shown and what was said in interviews. I might very well pass on this as a result.

We are going to get a version for free anyways. We can try it out, see if it feels good or not. For arcadey racers, 30fps works, as it has worked for all the NFSs and motorstorms before. Its not a sim. Lets hope it works well, the gfx are too good.

That to me doesn't make sense, sorry. "Work" is also a rather subjective meassure - it would also work at 20 fps, I'm sure. Simply imagine Wipeout (which is also arcade) at half the framerate. Sure it works, but it just wouldn't be the same game.

Sure, it works. It will very well be playable. It might even be a good game, regardless of framerate. But it's still something that IMO should be not tolerated. It's a racing game - and a game which sells the image of driving super realistically rendered real cars at very high speed. It's a sin to have a game like this not at 60fps.

:devilish:

And yes, I'm pissed that I'm going to miss this simply because I'm not liking the trend of pretty graphics over framerate. Damn right I am.

Back