DriveClub by Evolution Studios [PS4]

Yeah, I know the recent videos have been fantastic, I was here raving over them :p, just that PD's approach looks is so photorealistic on even the ps3 that it feels a bit criminal that DC doesn't fool me into thikning thats a pic I am looking at. DC looks like a game, a very beautful one in the recent vids, but GT6 looks like the real world. A lot of that could be due to the fact that in DC the environment is all generated and is not composed of real life pictures of places pasted onto polygons.

The new lighting in gt6 has really impressed the hell out of me. Also, their car shaders are also too good, better than what DC is putting forth. GT7 on PS4 could be 'photorealism achieved in realtime' ! Although thats yet to be seen.

It saddens me that they will add VR support to racing game that is not simulation. Hopefully they will add enough simulation options for us who have wheels. VR driving + gamepad = bad idea IMO.

DC looks like a game, a very beautful one in the recent vids, but GT6 looks like the real world.
I've not as into this as you as Arwin but the only GT6 shots where I've had to look twice ,because they were that convincing, were the trackside cameras of a car going past. None of in the in-car stuff looks anywhere near as good to me and most of DC's shots also seem to be in-car or a cam following the car.

Matter of fact, I'd be more than happy with DC's visuals at 60fps with GT's physics.

But is it? I thought it was still a 30fps game with a possibility that it may be 60fps when it's released, but everything shown so far is foremost @30fps?

But is it? I thought it was still a 30fps game with a possibility that it may be 60fps when it's released, but everything shown so far is foremost @30fps?

AFAIK it's still @30 but they were definitely trying for 60fps before launch. If they can keep the eye candy at the same level it's going to be a killer game in the looks department!

I wasn't trying to say that it might be 60fps because it's probably not. What I basically meant was that I'd be happy if GT7 looked like DC.

1MOdLER.jpg

I can't wait for a DriveClub vs GT6 and later GT7 comparison !

30fps would work over RemotePlay. ^_^

60fps over RemotePlay would be laggy compared to the real thing.
Shouldn't the game slow down to 30fps in those situations? Seems like that would be the easiest way to deal with it. How does Remote Play handle 60fps games now?

Anyway, shots like that make me wonder what GT7's going to look like. Can't wait for this, though.

Shouldn't the game slow down to 30fps in those situations? Seems like that would be the easiest way to deal with it. How does Remote Play handle 60fps games now?

Anyway, shots like that make me wonder what GT7's going to look like. Can't wait for this, though.

Probably like Resogun. Automatically slowed down to 30fps. But I can feel slightly lag compared to the PS4 version.

Does anyone know why the interior starts to blur towards the end of this gif? Some kind of effect to simulate speed or something?

This was a special clip made for UK Channel 4 (thus the giant forming number 4 in the air) I think that the blur is to draw your attention to the 4 rather than the dash...

Cant they do 45 fps or 40 if they can manage it ? why are 30 and 60 the only 2 options ?
Just habit, I imagine. Those are the only two normally "accepted" framerates these days. Plus it still matches up frame times on all TVs. 40 would work on a 120Hz or 240Hz display, but 50 wouldn't really match up with anything, it would be juddery.

I gathered from what they said that they were already hitting consistent frame rates higher than 30, which is why they thought they might be able to push it to 60. But at some point prior to release, a point that's probably already passed, they have to make a decision... either cut down fidelity to boost the framerate up, or lock it at 30fps and increase fidelity where there's room to do so. This close to release (it's still due in February, I think?), simply optimizing the code probably won't help much if they're too far from target.

The game does have motion blur, yes? This helps immensely in blending frames at 30fps. Before the 1.0.2 patch, GT6 used motion blur on replays using the normal/cockpit views, and it looked amazing, I'd definitely be okay with playing it that way.

They should let the game 30fps and put a special mode like the gt hifi in gt1 ps1 wich was running in 60fps with less details.

Just habit, I imagine. Those are the only two normally "accepted" framerates these days. Plus it still matches up frame times on all TVs. 40 would work on a 120Hz or 240Hz display, but 50 wouldn't really match up with anything, it would be juddery.

50 fps matches up with every HDTV sold in the EU quite nicely ... just sayin' ;)

50 fps matches up with every HDTV sold in the EU quite nicely ... just sayin' ;)
Do HDTVs in NTSC countries also support 50 Hz? I imagine they would as it'd be easier to design and manage the electronics. 50 Hz would be a nice compromise. nVidia's GSync is the future for dynamic yet smooth framerates, but if we're honest, we know that'll remain a niche PC feature. :( It's not going to be a mainstream consumer feature on every TV.

Back