[PC] Kingdoms of Amalur

Dresden

Celebrating Mediocrity
Veteran
So today, I saw some pretty neat footage for the upcoming Kingdoms of Amalur, devloped by up-and-comers 38 Studios, founded by Curt Schilling. Judging from the PAX footage released today, it looks pretty enticing. The art direction looks really creative and the gameplay looks neat, as well.

Anyway, check it out at:

http://reckoningthegame.com/#home

And here's the company information for 38 Studios:

http://38studios.com/

Bumping for release:

A few reviews have trickled in, thus far, and the general consensus is it's great. It boasts 200 hours of gameplay, 130 dungeons, an open world, 3 class archetypes (caster, rogue, warrior), and a crafting system. Depending on what a lot of the higher echelon reviewers say, I could potentially be sold. I'm always willing to give new studios a shot, and this title has piqued my interest for quite some time now. It'll launch on the 7th! So keep an eye out!

200 hours?! WTF. I was not expecting that. I will NEVER finish it. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu....

I was thinking it'd be in the 40 - 60 range. I guess I have a lot of gaming in my future. Still have to finish Dark Souls, Dead Island, Skyrim, Deus Ex:HR with Mass Effect 3 on the way.

From what I've read, I get the impression it's like a single player MMORPG. So in many ways it's similar to Star Wars the Old Republic except without raids and minus the MMO aspect.

Not necessarily bad since you can get the MMORPG style of gameplay without paying a monthly fee if you're a solo type of person. But people that don't like MMORPGs may or may not like it.

Regards,
SB

Except that the gameplay is nothing like the general hot-key point-and-click mmorpg, so they really aren't the same at all. The actual combat is more along the lines of God of War with a bit of Fable.

World design and quests may be more mmorpg-like.

Yeah, that's what I meant, not the actual combat itself. The combat is far more simplistic than your typical MMORPG but on the other hand what it sacrifices in that department is made up for by a more fluid and action oriented type of combat.

Regards,
SB

Except that the gameplay is nothing like the general hot-key point-and-click mmorpg
When I first saw the combat video I was wondering why I was looking at a WoW PvP rogue video.

It's not really close to WoW PvE, but there are MMOs with active dodging in PvE ... DDO for instance.

Yeah, it seems to be reviewing favorably. Particularly the quality of the combat stands out over other titles, like, say, Skyrim, I hear being indeed more GoW like. One to watch for sure.

After having played the demo I can say it's a decent game but nothing that's that much better than others. Inventory management is awful, camera almost makes me motion sic and enemy AI seems to be nearly non-existent. Fighting with ranged weapons is pretty dull, with swords it reminds me Vindictus but without as much depth as it has.

Overall as I said it's decent but nothing insanely good. Reminds me some generic mmo's but without the multiplayer online part :)

The inventory management wouldn't be so bad except that there's no hover to compare for item stats (you have explicitly left click -> compare which gets tedious with lots of items). And for crafting there's nothing to indicate what crafting components are used for what class of items. So if you're Magic oriented you may end up with a lot of crafting mats for Rogue or Warrior centric equipment. Thank god crafting mats don't take up precious inventory slots, although Potions do.

I do like being able to toss items into a "Junk" category for later deletion or sale however.

I'm not sure I'm going to be buying this. The demo doesn't have custom key configuration which the retail does. However, it appears that similar to Skyrim, some key combinations are broken. A customer of mine had gotten a copy of the retail version (I'm still working on him trying to get him to stop doing this) and says it is impossible to do a RDFG control configuration. WASD is fine. TFGH is fine. But if you try to do RDFG. Then the left and right movement keys end up being bound to the same key (so both left and right movement keys end up bound to D for both or G for both). Maybe it's just a problem with how that version of the retail copy works and launch day actual retail copies won't be broken.

I'm waiting to see reports from launch day before plonking down cash for it as I'm no longer buying a game on PC that isn't going to work with custom key configurations properly.

Hopefully, the actual retail version doesn't have that bug as I really want to buy and play it. The first RPG in over half a year that I finally want to buy...and it might have a bug that would prevent me from being able to play it. Bleh.

Regards,
SB

Well not being able to bind keys is annoying (see Avalanche Studios, who dont understand this)

But thankfully the teachings of the Gaming Gods prevail in these situations

You're not going to buy a good game if you can't remap the keys two keys over to the right?

Yes, because WASD is painful to play with (my pinky wasn't set correctly when I broke it in high school so trying to hit ctrl or shift constantly from WASD becomes physically painful over time), not to mention not having enough keys in my pinky area for extra keys to reduce the need for awkward keybinds for non-movement hotkeys. And having just tried TFGH in Deus Ex to see how that would be, I'm finding it mighty awkward for a variety of reasons. Not least of which is that my hand keeps wanting to gravitate to RDFG.

So yes, if a company can't get custom keybinds right, I'm no longer going to buy them. I STILL haven't finished Renegade Ops because I can't move it from WASD and console controller just sucks for it (IMO). I keep trying but after half an hour I inevitably end up being orders of magnitude more frustrated than the level of fun I can manage to eek out of the game. Each time Renegade Ops gets a new patch I start it up hoping it has custom key configs. And each time I'm disappointed.

Sucks even more as I just noticed it's made by Big Huge Games, and I used to be a big fan of their RTS games.

Regards,
SB

With the controller in Kingdoms of Amalur it's supposed to automatically switch the UI, camera, and everything to the X360 version of all those. And considering all the horror stories I've read about the console camera system...no thank you.

And even if that worked correctly, it still wouldn't be as intuitive and fluid as mouse and keyboard where the mouse is your camera and the keyboard is everything else.

No, I'm just hoping that either [1] this is a bug with the way my customer got his copy of the game or [2] it'll be patched soon after release. I'll lose out on the pre-order bonus by waiting which sucks donkey nuts, but at least I won't be frustrated if I start up the game only to find that I can't play it.

And if the bug never gets fixed at least I won't have wasted money on a game I can't play.

Regards,
SB

Well, from what I'm reading on forums it's a bug with the program (inability to remap D key in conjuntion with some other keys). So meh. That sucks. Although Davros' screenshot sent me looking for key remappers. Unfortunately almost all of them require a reboot anytime you remap keys. Not something I can do.

Fortunately, I found a homebrew realtime keymapper some guy made for a game called Touhou (no clue what it is). Hopefully this'll allow me to also finally finish Renegade Ops.

Anyway, got that sorted but now I'm hearing about another bug where on some systems where the Manual and Quest information pages aren't displaying properly or at all. Seems to be AMD cards, but not all AMD cards. So reports from 69xx owners that have the problem but other 69xx owners that don't have the problem. 79xx owners with the problem but other 79xx owners without the problem.

So going to keep holding off until the game is in better shape.

Regards,
SB

Back