Official GT5 discussion thread

Ha, thats awesome. In the future there will be movies about martial gamers, who travel to china to practice playing upside down for teh TRUE MASTERY ;)

Gran Turismo: DLC and the Future
Polyphony Digital's Kazunori Yamauchi talks about moving the franchise forward.
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1212165p1.html

IGN: Can you talk about how much you've been able to update and improve Gran Turismo 5 since the game first launched?

Kazunori Yamauchi: ... I think that will include cars and trucks that we'll be releasing maybe once every two months or so from here on out. What we do from here on is also really dependent on the reaction of the users to this first DLC that we just released because this is the first one. Now we have the feedback from our customers and we'll see how that will affect what we will do from here.

IGN: How has fan feedback impacted what you add to DLC for GT5?

Kazunori Yamauchi: I think one of the major ones is including a simplified cockpit view for all the cars in the game, including the standard cars. That was something that came from the feedback of our users. And that was a lot of work because there are over 900 cars that we had to make sure everything is displayed correctly. There's really no end to the small details because we keep doing something every month basically to make things better according to what people tell us.

... [more]

I agree it is really nice to have a heavy table to fix to, but take it from this pro here that at the same time it's a good exercise to getting your steering skills up to speed - if you move the wheel in any way other than circular, you're wasting energy and get in your own way. ;) Just like martial artists (or I presume regular boxers and athletes) know not to tense any muscles other than the ones you need for that particular motion (or you will literally hold back your own punch), you should only ever turn the wheel over its axis, and don't push it forward or down or to the side, or pull it backward or up.I played on an ironing board for the time, and that forced me to hone that skill :D

yeah I hear you. Today I was a looot better than I was yesterday. I drove the Minolta race car in Monza for the rel world tracks seasonal event and won after a few tries. It was smarter of getting to know the wheel and the feel. Its still hard for me to recover from oversteer because it feels like the wheel goes light but I definitely wasn't wrestling the wheel as I did yesterday. So yeah I am getting better :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have my wheel mounted to a fairly sturdy TV stand that's small enough that I can move around. It's not pretty but it works good. I can play for hours without my arms getting tired.

My arms don't get tired at all but my left leg did start hurting at my knee cause of having to place the legs close for left foot braking. Not used to that. But wow that wheel rocks. I wonder if there is any sort of calibration settings I need to perform with gt5 and the wheel because in the Minolta saving a rear slide is tough!!! The steering wheel goes really light. For some reason in the real world in my M3 I dont have a problem sliding the rear and doing a nice drift but of course its not a HIGH downforce 1040 hp car I am driving in the real world :D

Yap, December.

I was told while the DLC is locked to the buyer's account, he can race on the track with other online users who didn't buy the DLC.

Could be better if they handle the product management and marketing properly. I reckon the DRM issues caused some to delay their purchase.

has anyone been trying their luck on the latest time trial challenge in honor of Kaz? We also get ANOTHER GT-R. I am ranked 1880 or something like that. First time I am doing this time trial stuff and it is amazing fun. Still hard to believe that the guy ranked 1st is 7 seconds ahead of me! 7 seconds! I need to learn how the dude is hauling that much ass!

I stink as a race car driver. Only tried online GT5 racing once so I could be wrong. I remember I could download someone's video to watch.

On the leader board you can download replays of the lap, you can either watch it (from the main menu) or set it as your ghost replay.

has anyone been trying their luck on the latest time trial challenge in honor of Kaz? We also get ANOTHER GT-R. I am ranked 1880 or something like that. First time I am doing this time trial stuff and it is amazing fun. Still hard to believe that the guy ranked 1st is 7 seconds ahead of me! 7 seconds! I need to learn how the dude is hauling that much ass!

Yeah, you have to attack all corners, and cut it as much as you can without getting penalised. I am still not sure how GT5 decides to penalise you for going off track. I think as long as you have one wheel on track, you're still good. I only like those time trial for the cash really, the gold time is so high you can pretty much gold it in a lap or two.

What GT5 need is to be able to create custom events, for offline mode. You can pick your own tracks, what levels the AI drivers are, what car is allowed, how many laps and let GT5 calculate the reward. And allow to share them with friends.

Also is there shortcut in practice once you're on a track to just change car ? I have to keep going to main GT Life menu access the garage, back to practice, select the track again, so and so. I find GT5 menu is a total mess.

Back