God of War Collection – Blu-ray Disc Compilation

If you no longer own the PS2 versions, or even if you do, this is totally worth 40 bucks. I haven't played the GoW games since they were released on PS2 and playing through them again is a blast. Obviously if you've never played them at all, this is highly recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got mine yesterday. I was in a bad mood when I put it in which is always a bad time to make impressions of gameplay, but overall I'm very impressed with the graphics for what is effectively a port of a last-gen game. I really hope they give this treatment to other PS2 games which many games may have missed (or would double-dip on).

Just noticed that the game is only outputting stereo. Is this normal? I guess they're not going to recreate the original sound track so that it's in surround.

Many PS2 games only output Dolby through the optical out of the PS2, and had the stereo sound coming out of the regular plugs. It even went so far that when I enabled surround output on optical, which I didn't have connected, I would get sound during the game but not during the cutscenes in some games for instance. I'm not sure of God of War was one of these games, and I have no idea how this is setup on the PS3 for backward compatibility or on the compilation disc.

Some games did have DD for cutscenes and I think only one game had dts. Not many had it. You can see the Dolby Digital logo on the back cover for the games that support it. God of War 2 was only Pro Logic II.

Some games did have DD for cutscenes and I think only one game had dts. Not many had it. You can see the Dolby Digital logo on the back cover for the games that support it. God of War 2 was only Pro Logic II.

i second this as i have both gow1 and gow2 on the original ps2 disk and on the back of the box they both say dolby pro-logic

A 360 friend asked me to buy GoW (all 3). I'm kinda reluctant because of the gore.

I heard the story is good, the combat is epic, and the graphics is nice. Is it mindless violence or story-driven ? (as in is there a reason behind the anger ?).

EDIT: He also highly recommended Half-Minute Hero for PSP, but I have no idea what that is.

A 360 friend asked me to buy GoW (all 3). I'm kinda reluctant because of the gore.

I heard the story is good, the combat is epic, and the graphics is nice. Is it mindless violence or story-driven ? (as in is there a reason behind the anger ?).

EDIT: He also highly recommended Half-Minute Hero for PSP, but I have no idea what that is.

There is a "reason" for the anger, certainly, and it is very story driven (considerably more so than Ninja Gaiden, DMC, or any other 3rd person action title).

First two aren't as gory as what we've seen from the third so far. Just watch a bit of a runthrough on Youtube and you can see for yourself:

I wouldn't classify the combat as Epic. The story for me was among the best reason to play this game and for PS2, the graphics were very impressive. I may double dip into the collection when the price drops.

I wouldn't classify the combat as Epic. The story for me was among the best reason to play this game and for PS2, the graphics were very impressive. I may double dip into the collection when the price drops.
The combat was way to easy (apart from a certain bossfight), but most fun came from chaining up extremely long combos.
To me the story is horrible, atleast Kratos being slowly uncovered as a degenerate crybaby was very annoying (watching the biggest asshole in the game talking about righteous revenge). But I dont play action games because of a story.. the Greek mythology is nicely captured and the action was spot on.

Ok, I bought it on impulse. Damn Gamestop people didn't put the GoW Collection case on the shelf, I thought it's sold out and checked with them (It was there last week).

Turns out there are 7 copies left. :rolleyes:

Finished the first stage, and completed one sex mini-game. :LOL: The combat is indeed manageable (by my standard), but entertaining. The whole package is a fan service to tickle gamers' imagination and fantasy (e.g., going down a
Hydra's throat
? :) )

I can see why it wowed the crowd back then. Very well conceived and made game.

I think the combat is "epic" in the sense that you do some pretty amazing stuff with very little effort on the users end.

I personally don't find "dial-a-combo" combat to really be enteraining, nor do I find ridiculous timing windows to be anything to write home about. Games are supposed to be fun, but depth is pointless w/out fun (i.e. NG series). DMC has the perfect blend of fun and depth, while GoW is all about the fun with little depth and / or effort.

I think the combat is "epic" in the sense that you do some pretty amazing stuff with very little effort on the users end.

Yap, fighting the Hydra as an opening move is smart. We fought parts of the monsters in a few places, stretching the sense of scale further.

I personally don't find "dial-a-combo" combat to really be enteraining, nor do I find ridiculous timing windows to be anything to write home about. Games are supposed to be fun, but depth is pointless w/out fun (i.e. NG series). DMC has the perfect blend of fun and depth, while GoW is all about the fun with little depth and / or effort.

The GoW combat moves are very easy to pull off (at least for now). I like the way it returns some health to me when I fight well. The QTEs are not difficult. Do they get ridiculously fast later on ?

One thing I noticed is the difference in platforming/movement (walking along pole/planks). I think the modern implementations (e.g., Demon's Souls, Uncharted 1 SIXAXIS balancing, etc.) are more sensitive and forgiving at the same time.

The friend warned me about a difficult platforming level later on. Will see how I fare later.

I guess we have a different definition of epic then. Epic to me requires skill, timing and looks stylish while rewarding the player. The combat IS fun, but I get the felling that other than the QTE segments, I could almsot play this game without really paying attention.

I really enjoy the GOW games, but its weakest point to me is the combat. The visuals and story are the high points for me followed closely by the character and art.

My most anticipated game next year is GOW3. I hope I can download the demo when I get all settled next week.

Does anyone know if it is available to the general public yet (or if it will be prior to launch)?

I guess we have a different definition of epic then. Epic to me requires skill, timing and looks stylish while rewarding the player. The combat IS fun, but I get the felling that other than the QTE segments, I could almsot play this game without really paying attention.

Nah... the Hydra heads must be pinned down with the hanging spikes. You need to figure it out and platform up there at the right moment. Some attention is required but not as demanding as Demon's Souls.

Nah... the Hydra heads must be pinned down with the hanging spikes. You need to figure it out and platform up there at the right moment. Some attention is required but not as demanding as Demon's Souls.

True. Certain parts like bosses and sub-bosses require you to pay attention, but the throw away minions can be played very casually--this is on default difficulty. I will play it on the harder difficulty to see if this changes my opinion.

Finally had time to look into this...man does this look good and crispy!!
Very impressed so far (both games were my absolute favorite games last gen)...did not recognize all the tech the game has: running through the water looks the same compared to the high praised Insomniac water tech (I just compared it to Rachet and Clank: CiT)...something a lot of actual games are missing!
Can't wait to play GOW 3!!

Back