Frame Rate Analysis Thread (Simple Rules Post #2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what little difference there is in the demo grandmaster it looks like DICE did a great job. I'd be interested to see frame rate comparisons for Battlefield Bad Company too if they aren't both v-locked at 30. From everything I have seen it's identical on both consoles aside from some contrast and/or color differences.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just a question about far cry 2 tearing on 360, I don't know if is the right thread...well I haven't seen personally in motion on 360 but only video review adn there is something ...strange. Well while in some videos it seems suffer less compared to ps3 in others it's exactly the same. Why?

I'm getting fallout 3 on my way home today, I still can't decide which version to get. I see there's no AA on the PS3 version, but just about everything else looked better on the PS3, based on the shots I've seen so far (textures, lighting etc) and I'm no big fan of AA as well.

So, any word on the frame rate and the screen tearing? (grandmaster I need your help more than ever ;))

Framerate will be choppier on PS3 no doubt. In the Rivet City market, my FPS drop to what seems like 10. It's a joke. It's like they didn't care or test the game at all.

Didn't notice any tearing at all to be honest, but no, it's quite clear to me that in the area where there's actually more than 3 people on screen at a time and some lit fire, the FPS go down way fast, way bad.

Framerate will be choppier on PS3 no doubt. In the Rivet City market, my FPS drop to what seems like 10. It's a joke. It's like they didn't care or test the game at all.

No AA AND shittier framerate? Way to go, Bethesda.

It is kinda awkward from Bethesda considering they did a hell of a job with Oblivion on PS3, which was technically superior from its Xbox 360 counterpart, it is like they didnt even tried to optimize Fallout 3 this time for the PS3, because I am sure being the same engine as Oblivion it could have been much much better than what Bethesda is offering today on PS3.

The PS3 port was done by 4J Studios according to zarbaj (page 58 of the neverending upscale thread), so I guess they were the reason the port of Oblivion turned out superior on PS3.

I am sure Bethesda received the improved bits of the engine 4J Studios did to use for Fallout 3.

However Oblivion/fallout 3 engine has done its time now imho (my syntax is correct?)...there are no reason to continue to support again really...Bethesda revamp please. And patch ps3 version, too bugs, it's intolerable.

AA is a huge issue in this game - it makes the PC and 360 versions look so, so clean and real. There's no screen tear, but frame rate is another real issue on the PS3 game. I'll post measurements once I'm done with my mammoth playthrough of all three versions.

In an interview with G4TV the developer was asked if it was just the Oblivion engine and the developer said no.

It depends on semantics. It is clearly not the exact same engine.

But it is the Gamebryro Engine, albeit a newer version of it, the same engine in Oblivion...

It is kinda awkward from Bethesda considering they did a hell of a job with Oblivion on PS3, which was technically superior from its Xbox 360 counterpart, it is like they didnt even tried to optimize Fallout 3 this time for the PS3, because I am sure being the same engine as Oblivion it could have been much much better than what Bethesda is offering today on PS3.
Why are people accusing Bethesda of slacking off for the PS3 this time when their track record shows otherwise?

The more reasonable explanation is that they had an extra year for the PS3 version of Oblivion and at least partly figured out why their game was so demanding for rather average graphics (even on the PC). Things like AF were probably considered for the first time, because PC gamers always had the control panel.

There is nothing lacking in Fallout 3 PS3 compared to Oblivion PS3. We just have improvements on the 360 due to the enabling of AF and and incorporation of tiling and 4xAA. These can be achieved with minimal effort and performance impact in the grand scheme of what it takes to make a game. Remember that Oblivion was out for 360 only months after the system launched.

In the end, the reason Fallout 3 looks better on 360 is that the devs didn't ignore the big features of Xenos, like so many devs do. It's not because they slacked off on PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back