Fallout 3

I'm just started the PS3 version. I don't care for any DLC, I never touched the Oblivion stuff. The game looks and plays well. The FUD about the PS3 version was either overblown or the patch fixed it.

I'm just started the PS3 version. I don't care for any DLC, I never touched the Oblivion stuff. The game looks and plays well. The FUD about the PS3 version was either overblown or the patch fixed it.

Well, the PS3 version did have some serious problems early on, like freezing everytime you received a notification. Those were all fixed with the patch, however.

The DLC is inexcusable though. Shivering Isles was like a year old when they finally released it on PSN, of course their sales weren't that great. I think Warhawk and Wipeout HD showed that PSN consumers are willing to spend money on great products, and it's unfortunate that Bethesda doesn't have the drive to take care of their entire user base.

I bought the PS3 version 2 weeks ago as well. I usually planned to get it for the 360, but 27 pounds on amazon.co.uk (the 360 version was nearly twice as expensive and I wasn't really sure whether I'd even like it in the first place or not) for the collector's edition was just too good of a deal to pass up. The UK has been a country sized bargain bin for us mainland Europeans ever since the pound dropped:D

I absolutely love the game now. Much better than Oblivion in my opinion: I never imagined a nuclear wasteland could be this attractive and diverse. The quests are great fun, the leveling system works wonderfully and the battle system is awesome. Then there's all the attention to detail and great art direction that really sell the open world. I also think the post-nuclear ruins are a much better match for the engine: entering the final battle in Oblivion with a group about as large in numbers as a slightly bigger family did feel a little underwhelming and kind of funny. In FO3 it just works because that's what a desolate carcass of a major city would probably look like. There's just hardly anything living left anymore.

Playing the 360 version and I must say that I never cared much for Oblivion (not that I played it) or RPG’s for that matter, but damn this game is just unbelievable addictive.

I think I have played for about 20 hours now and that without doing much quests for the moment. Spending most of my time exploring and try to level up.

that snowbound DLC looks incredible. the color palette really didn't get me that excited in the original game although the lighting and art were very good.

Maybe a stupid question (but I'm a RPG noob) using my pipboy looking at my skills I see a sign "(-)" beside them. Does it have some special meaning ?

Couldn't find it in my manual or online.

It means you are probably using some type of gear that has a negative stat effect. For example the Brotherhood Power Armor gives you a plus 2 boost in strength, but you have to live with lowered agility when wearing it. The Enclave armor on the other hand has a negative effect on charisma as far as I remember.

Alkohol has similar effects as well. (reduced intelligence)

If you take the armor off or if the effects of chems wear off the numbers in brackets also vanish.

I can't tell if I like FO3 or not. I like the world and the combat, but something about it is intimidating. I have this anxiety when I think about playing. The open world aspect, underground levels, fear of not saving, etc. all roll together and make me not want to play.

I also have an issue with blowing my ammo and stimpacks and worry I can't afford or find more. I really enjoy fighting humanoids with weapons, I get guns, ammo, etc. I really hate fighting animals and stuff (fire shooting ants suck).

I think I'm level 5 doing some side quest, so maybe I just need to level up. I can appreciate the game, it looks good and is deep, but I am almost tempted to put it aside for something lighter... maybe I should play more LBP for a while :)

I can't tell if I like FO3 or not. I like the world and the combat, but something about it is intimidating. I have this anxiety when I think about playing. The open world aspect, underground levels, fear of not saving, etc. all roll together and make me not want to play.

I also have an issue with blowing my ammo and stimpacks and worry I can't afford or find more. I really enjoy fighting humanoids with weapons, I get guns, ammo, etc. I really hate fighting animals and stuff (fire shooting ants suck).

I think I'm level 5 doing some side quest, so maybe I just need to level up. I can appreciate the game, it looks good and is deep, but I am almost tempted to put it aside for something lighter... maybe I should play more LBP for a while :)

A great tip is to intelligently use cover. With super mutants, you can hear them reloading, then move in to get headshots. If you have a chance to get 3-4 headshots off, go for it. then you can move around and use cover to let your AP refill and go at it again.

Another tip is to build up skills for the weapons you have / will use. Do some wondering, kill some random Raiders and steal their weapons / armor to sell and possibly buy more. The Hunting Rifle is a great weapon to use because it's easy to find lots of ammo for when killing Super Mutants and Raiders.

Big Trouble in Big Town is a great side quest to do, just so you can gain lots of EXP and find lots of grenades along the way (plus you'll get a lot of stim packs and other health items).

A great tip is to intelligently use cover. With super mutants, you can hear them reloading, then move in to get headshots. If you have a chance to get 3-4 headshots off, go for it. then you can move around and use cover to let your AP refill and go at it again..

If you use VATS you rarely ever should have to bother to use cover. Tbh, very very rarely did i have any problems just standing and taking bullets (and i got power armor relatively late, and my char is low health).

Ammunition and stimpacks (aspecially stimpacks) are widely avaliable throughout the game, in the lower levels things are scarce, but as you get higher things start to look better.

I feel the same way about the wild enemies, but i think it all comes down to you just being low level.

I think the problem at low levels is that a lot of the encounters can really be hard (those standing walking crablike thingys are crazy hard if you run into them early) and these non humanoid enemies do not drop interesting loot and therefore it feels like your wasting a lot of ammo and health (stimpacks) on low xp.

Once you get higher, you dont really fight many animals at all, the occational molerat or scorpion that tries to attack you is dealt with in one shot anyway

Thanks for the pointers guys. I finished the Ant quest and the Big Town one, I've been slaughtering super mutants and raiders, now I feel like a badass with lots of guns and ammo. I also got lots of land mines from the jail, which I love using.

I hear the game gets really easy because the enemies never get harder, seems like the opposite problem that Oblivion had. I hated the leveling enemies in Oblivion, I think I'd rather have Fallout 3 system of static levels.

I was thinking of playing as a stealth/lockpick/small arms evil character next time. I want to pcik all these locks and kill everyone. I tried to kill Moriarty after I realized I didn't need him (he's a prick), but the whole town went ballistic on me, I was expecting thanks...

When I first started playing I was constantly short on ammo and stimpacks. I finished the main quest fairly early without really exploring and completing a lot of side quest (maybe did 10 sidequest).

I'm playing through again....paying better attention to what skills to dump points in to, what perks to take and purposefully trying to collect all 20 bobble heads (19 so far...1 to go), finding as many "books" as I can to increase my skills, etc.. I currently have so much ammo and so many stimpacks it's almost ridiculous.

Something to really pay attention to is your skill points and how you distribute them. You will not get enough to bring everything up so be very selective. I went for high energy weapons (love the laser rifle), high lock pick and high repair.

This is definitely one of the most addictive games I've ever played......I keep firing it up just to go exploring. Downloaded the new DLC that came out this morning......can't wait to see what's new.

I hear the game gets really easy because the enemies never get harder, seems like the opposite problem that Oblivion had. I hated the leveling enemies in Oblivion, I think I'd rather have Fallout 3 system of static levels.
I found the game had three "tiers" of enemies, so the game gets easier up to level 8 or so, when it ramps up again... then easier until level 13 or so, when it ramps up again.

I had a horrible time at level 15 or so with Deathclaws when I accidently went into the sewers of an abandoned town which had some amazing armour in it. By 20 I was a powerhouse of a player again :cool:

Eurogamer gave the DLC a 5/10 and it does sound pretty lame from reading what the players have said about it. That being said I boycott exclusive DLC and I will be lucky to finish the story anyhow with my gaming ADD.

Boycott, shmoycott, the only thing boycotts accomplish is you get to miss out on lots of cool stuff while the rest of us have fun. Your choice though :) Personally I don't care what stream of electrons device something is on, if I like it I'm getting it. I bought and finished all the Oblivion expansions, gonna do the same for Fallout 3. Now Bethesda needs to start working on the next DLC!

Boycott, shmoycott, the only thing boycotts accomplish is you get to miss out on lots of cool stuff while the rest of us have fun.

It accomplishes lower sales and encourages the publishers/developer to reach the largest audience with their creation.

But this gen seems to be about rushing product and holding back material for DLC, the nickel and diming is sad. Horse armor anyone?

It accomplishes lower sales and encourages the publishers/developer to reach the largest audience with their creation.

But this gen seems to be about rushing product and holding back material for DLC, the nickel and diming is sad. Horse armor anyone?

You're not really saying the Fallout 3 DLC is similar to horse amour are you?

I think horse armor was more an an early experiment with the question of, "What do we do with DLC?"

As with any early experiments some will get it right and some will get it wrong and some will just be greedy bastards. :)

Boycotting an item can also accomplish something else. Lack of sales = lack of interest in doing future projects. And an extreme lack of sales = studios going out of business.

I'd buy the DLC if I actually like Fallout 3. But it's not nearly as good a game as Fallout 1 and 2. Another case of a game I'd probably like more if it was called anything other than Fallout 3.

I mean Fallout 1 wasn't called Wasteland 2 even though it was clearly inspired by it. And while Fallout 3 is clearly inspired by the 2 previous games, it still doesn't feel like another title in the series. Meh, but that's probably just me. :)

Regards,
SB

I'd buy the DLC if I actually like Fallout 3. But it's not nearly as good a game as Fallout 1 and 2. Another case of a game I'd probably like more if it was called anything other than Fallout 3.

I mean Fallout 1 wasn't called Wasteland 2 even though it was clearly inspired by it. And while Fallout 3 is clearly inspired by the 2 previous games, it still doesn't feel like another title in the series. Meh, but that's probably just me. :)

Regards,
SB

Its not just you. Fallout 1 & 2 are much better games imo, i actually played through FO2 a year ago or so, so its still fresh in memory. Fallout 2 was a much larger, longer , and imo more interesting game. The feel of freedom is imo bigger, the dialoge is much better, and quests can be solved in many many more ways.

FO3 is pretty good, but imo the story is rather crappy and the dialoge at times is just terrible.

Back