The First Halo 3 Single Player Screens + Video! Rules=#369

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah I liked the arbiter too, the type of action was completely different because it was balanced around using active camo.

while i agree

this is halo we are talking about

the game could play worse then reed steel and still score 10's across the board

Love halo but man people need to stop riding Bungies wii wii

just look at halo 2, well below average game and not superior to the original in any way yet it scored higher then most games .

If its an average game ffs give the score it disserves

its sad really

Thank you for trolling.

I think I refrain myself from seeing any new Halo 3 movies until I have the copy on my Xbox. I can hardly wait, luckily I have games to keep me busy for a month. I'm currently playing C&C which is surprisingly good and after that It's Bioshock which I already own, but chose that I fire it up only after I have finished C&C. Few months ago I was little bit worried about Halo 3, but it's looking so great ATM that I'm sure it deliveres big time.

Halo 2 is one of my favourite games of all time (I enjoyed it more than Halo 1). There's nothing "sad" about how it was rated. It's fine that people don't like the game, I don't question their opinion at all, but to assume that their opinion is better than that of all reviewers is pretty self-centered if you ask me!

If Halo 3 is below average, it will be rated poorly, and I'll continue to play Halo 2 instead... though based on the gameplay videos and the beta, that's not going to happen.

So my question is this: "Should review scores from previous or competing games be considered for consumers to determine relative quality, or should scores be based solely on the reviewers feeling at the time of review?" IMO, scoring should be used to rank the title relative to other games. Unfortunately, I think that sometimes, future games, that may have only be seen in demo or preview form, can also influence scores. Example - I think the GT demo on the PS3 hurt Forza 2 because of the graphical comparisons, and I believe KZ2 will do the same to Halo 3. I hope it gets judged against it's previous versions and all games shipping on or before its release.
The game won't be scored on its visuals alone, but even if it was:

Sierra 117 off-screen footage :oops:

I had a chance to see the gamersyde videos, i found the game looked spectacular especially the replay stuff really gave a good example of the attention to detail.

This game looks like a million :)

In regards to good/bad/better. Halo was a fresh wind in the Console scene, a good FPS game with very good Multiplayer. Since every Halo game (like Halo 2) from now on will be more of the same (hard to change that) i think a review should reflect that. That doesn´t make a Halo 3 a bad game pr default.

It's part of his elaborate costume; the lighting and the post-processing effects just make it look weird in that particular moment. :p

brute2.png

trolling of the players? I thought it was game designers, PR people, or testers because it was apparently a demonstration. the game looked good though, did they only get noobs to try that map?

I was just joking with you. Sorry, should have included a smiley.

They only got the finalists in the competition to try it. That was apparently also a special variant of the map with many of the weapons replaced with power weapons to mix it up a bit.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_4890_en.html

video of MP on the bridge level. the sound effects are amazing. you hear so many steps, jumps, reloads, and gunshots. graphics also look really good. ...

yea the Wired interview (I read the article in the mag last night but it's posted in this thread) mentions 100 channels of sound effects at one time.

Also the difference in game play from Halo 2 to Halo 3 appears to be monumental according to the disappointment the devs expressed at their own work in 2. They are going to EXTREME measures of play testing, balance and fun factor evaluation (the reason for the Wired story) in creating the experience they are aiming for with 3.

while i agree

just look at halo 2, well below average game and not superior to the original in any way yet it scored higher then most games .

its sad really

Your right, every reviewer in this world either gave it a 9 or a 10 based soley on the first title being a decent fps. Same reason why all other incarnations of big franchises also gets high scores, even thought they are in no way shape or form better... Oh wait, they do get worse scores if they are worse.

I love how every popular game with good critics get turned into absymal, because its "cool" to hate the popular thing.

Pretty soon Bioshock will be below average aswell, if it sells enough.

Your right, every reviewer in this world either gave it a 9 or a 10 based soley on the first title being a decent fps. Same reason why all other incarnations of big franchises also gets high scores, even thought they are in no way shape or form better... Oh wait, they do get worse scores if they are worse.

I love how every popular game with good critics get turned into absymal, because its "cool" to hate the popular thing.

Pretty soon Bioshock will be below average aswell, if it sells enough.

And they say games aren't art. I always figured the prime sign that a medium constitutes art is when there's a vocal minority that always hates what's popular and loves what's unpopular, regardless of the actual quality.

A turok developer guy that was at X07 in Canada had this to say about Halo 3 there

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7604708&postcount=14

As far as Halo 3 goes, what can I say? The folks who were bitching about it being "Halo 2 in HD" are going to be eating a bit of crow in couple of weeks. It actually pumped me up a bit, knowing the competition that's coming up, but I'll be lining up to get a copy on release - and that's coming from a guy who wasn't all that chuffed about Halo 2. What I played today made me a believer. Fact.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7610423&postcount=163

Mass Effect was being shown behind closed doors downstairs, I didn't have time to bumrush Bioware security, too busy gaping at Halo 3 :p

This is a blog from someone there

http://mattbrett.com/archives/2007/08/x07-hands-on/

We were shown two levels from the campaign, the first of which being a few chapters in where Master Chief finds himself in a bunker with a handful of marines, a Warthog and the new personnel carrier Warthog - basically a Warthog with a basket on the back in place of the turret. It was obvious that something significant had just happened and once venturing outside, evidence of events from Halo 2 were present, but that’s all I’m going to say about that. After venturing through a few canyons, a pretty large Covenant stronghold was found. It was a massive area, with three or four small structures placed strategically. Once the fighting broke out, it was immediately apparent that gameplay has changed significantly. The use of various types of deployable shields was huge - suddenly, being in an open field isn’t so scary/stupid when you can drop a shield in front or around you at any given moment.

The second chapter we were shown was the first in the game, which the Bungie dude referred to as “Jungle”. I was hoping we’d see this level as I had just read about it in a recent Wired article. Needless to say, it was absolutely gorgeous! The amount of foliage was unreal and the level of detail was truly amazing. But the cool stuff was yet to come.

After a brief, yet awesome battle by what appeared to be a loading/landing dock used by the humans, the dev quit the game and went to the “Theatre”, off the main menu. The video recording feature we caught a glimpse of in the Halo 3 multiplayer beta was merely that - a glimpse. While you’re playing back a recorded video, you’re able to detach the camera and freely move it around the battlefield in real time - or paused, or in slow-motion - whatever you prefer. This could really come in handy in tough areas if you repeatedly get your ass handed to you. Fire up a video of you getting slayed and watch how the enemy is maneuvering and what tactics they’re using. Or, as we were shown today - it’s great for getting a closer look at a well planted grenade and a get a close-up as bodies are thrown into the air. The ability to capture screenshots is also present, which can be upload to Bungie.net and accessed via your account. Love it!

They've been baiting and switch all the way though the development. Underpromise then overdeliver.

Originally Posted by GreekDNA
while i agree

its sad really

The point I think he was trying to make is that H3 could sell like hotcakes even if the gameplay was average. And I think that's true.
I strongly disagree on the "H2 being average" part and to be honest I'm pretty sure that H3 will be one hell of a game.

The strange thing is that I find the graphics good but not excellent. And that is the reason that I think it will play great. I think Bungie put most of their effort into making a game that plays great, giving second place to the visual presentation.
This is a gut feeling of course... But I find little reason to think that it won't be at least good.

With what we know about the game, and the insane amounts of polishing they're doing, it's pretty far fetched to think it will be anything less than a great game.

Maybe not 9.5 material, but there's no way it's going to suck.

I played this game for 3 weeks and thought it was excellent.

whaaa? :oops:

a buddy played it in Toronto yesterday and told me that the 4 player co-op is going to OWN our SOULS. :devilish::cool::smile: He said the scale of the game is designed perfectly for 4p Co-op.

oh and that it has beautiful graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back