The First Halo 3 Single Player Screens + Video! Rules=#369

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's time for us to sack up and tell you what's what regarding online co-op.

So you were probably wondering why we didn't want to commit to two player co-op online over Xbox Live. We certainly got plenty of mail asking, no, demanding that we make it happen. Of course we were working on it, but we were also working on something better. Not two player co-op. Not three-player co-op, but up to four player co-op. Online. On Xbox Live, or sure, System Link if you prefer.

That is correct - up to four player co-op in Campaign mode on Xbox Live or System Link.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=thesoundofsack

Good news, hope it's not old.

That's what I mean though. No one knows where they are. ;)

Ok.... Isn't that the same as "The remaining three stasis tubes... unknown..." :?: As in... nothing is known about who those three are? I was merely going over who was left.

I probably misinterpreted the book when I read that part, or I more likely got confused keeping track of all the hundreds. :oops:

If raining on my parade is correcting the point of the 300 S-IIIs, well.... ok.
I thought you were hinting that the 3 Spartans were in the stasis tubes, which would have been rather unlikely given that they haven't reported in.

I thought you were hinting that the 3 Spartans were in the stasis tubes, which would have been rather unlikely given that they haven't reported in.

Ah... Yea, I probably should have separated the paragraph. No worries.

Anyhoo... I wonder if they're going to make the cutscenes in Halo 3 with a wider aspect ratio than 16:9 (since the initial announcement trailer was 2.35:1).

Whipped myself up a new background image today:

"Tag Team"
http://i19.tinypic.com/4vdumg9.jpg

Someone wanna cross post this in the GAF Halo 3 topic? A few people there would prolly appreciate it.

Also, if anyone wants to clean up the transition between the image I had and the fluff I PSed in, please do and post it.

Last edited by a moderator:
EGM has impressions of the singleplayer and multiplayer. I won't tell everything but here's some information:

*first mission seems to take place in Kenyan wilderness.
*enemy AI is much better, very smart even on normal.
*brutes won't just berserk all the time, if you knock all armor off they will but they usually stay in the back since they're the leaders.
*brutes have new toys: personal shields, jetpacks, etc.
*enemies are more aggressive and can climb over pretty much anything.
*water dynamically deforms (flows around dead bodies).
*lots of factors into sound effects )supersonic sniper bullets whizz by before banging, soil and rock makesound effects different, etc.)
*seargeny johnson is supposed to look a lot older (graphicsable to show his age this time).
*can use gravity hammer like sword (sends away vehicles and grenades).
*3-4 person human banshee (MAKES ME WET).
*story to be much better, they admit halo 2 didn't work out as they wanted, writing lead says no "raiden" moment (MGS2 reference).
*many marathon references in halo 3 (possible story connection?).
*campaign scoring; points for kills, headshots, taking down shields, sticking grenades, etc. medals to be awarded for good/bad things you do. all stats on bungie.net.
*skulls to return (do odd effects in singleplayer if you find them( and effects stack so you can have all of the skull effects on.
*can change ANYTHING in multiplayer (speed, gravity, invulnerable in certain areas, etc.) with map editor in real-time. don't actually physically alter maps, just move objects and change settings, done from persepective of a monitor (those floating orb-like robots), press up on D-pad to turn monitor into player to test level. you have a spending limit before you can "buy" anymore objects for a level though. can be done simultaneously over xbox LIVE. can have innovative game types such as two teams with a monitor on each team dropping weapons and vehicles for his team. keeps track of score.
*new human vehicle called "elephant": three stories tall, carries about a dozen passengers, slow, can carry a mongoose in belly bay, CAN'T be destroyed by spartan laser (completely indestructible), has turret, can respawn troops, hold home flag, hold return point for enemy flag.
*most awesome news for last: the scarab (that huge crab thing in the second level of halo 2) has AI this time and will chase you down. there are more ways to take it down.

there's a ton of AMAZING screens in the magazine. there's also a chart that shows the estimated scales of the vehicles.

EGM has impressions of the singleplayer and multiplayer. I won't tell everything but here's some information:

*first mission seems to take place in Kenyan wilderness.
*enemy AI is much better, very smart even on normal.
*brutes won't just berserk all the time, if you knock all armor off they will but they usually stay in the back since they're the leaders.
*brutes have new toys: personal shields, jetpacks, etc.
*enemies are more aggressive and can climb over pretty much anything.
*water dynamically deforms (flows around dead bodies).
*lots of factors into sound effects )supersonic sniper bullets whizz by before banging, soil and rock makesound effects different, etc.)
*seargeny johnson is supposed to look a lot older (graphicsable to show his age this time).
*can use gravity hammer like sword (sends away vehicles and grenades).
*3-4 person human banshee (MAKES ME WET).
*story to be much better, they admit halo 2 didn't work out as they wanted, writing lead says no "raiden" moment (MGS2 reference).
*many marathon references in halo 3 (possible story connection?).
*campaign scoring; points for kills, headshots, taking down shields, sticking grenades, etc. medals to be awarded for good/bad things you do. all stats on bungie.net.
*skulls to return (do odd effects in singleplayer if you find them( and effects stack so you can have all of the skull effects on.
*can change ANYTHING in multiplayer (speed, gravity, invulnerable in certain areas, etc.) with map editor in real-time. don't actually physically alter maps, just move objects and change settings, done from persepective of a monitor (those floating orb-like robots), press up on D-pad to turn monitor into player to test level. you have a spending limit before you can "buy" anymore objects for a level though. can be done simultaneously over xbox LIVE. can have innovative game types such as two teams with a monitor on each team dropping weapons and vehicles for his team. keeps track of score.
*new human vehicle called "elephant": three stories tall, carries about a dozen passengers, slow, can carry a mongoose in belly bay, CAN'T be destroyed by spartan laser (completely indestructible), has turret, can respawn troops, hold home flag, hold return point for enemy flag.
*most awesome news for last: the scarab (that huge crab thing in the second level of halo 2) has AI this time and will chase you down. there are more ways to take it down.

there's a ton of AMAZING screens in the magazine. there's also a chart that shows the estimated scales of the vehicles.

DAMN!!
This is crazy! GOTF(orever) :)

Least you could do if you're going to keep tossing these comments around. And 600p? Yeah, here we go again...
OK finally I could spare some time to play with Photoshop.

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/5740/798_0023.jpg
http://www.gamersyde.com/gallery_5740_en.html

is the source 720p image captured from the E3 Halo 3 720p direct-feed trailer distributed by Microsoft.

http://download.microsoft.com/downl.../Halo3_E3_TRAILER_2007_720p30_ST_6300Kbps.wmv

My analysis is in this PNG image:

http://www.freeimagehost.eu/image/eee5b9690084
http://www.freeimagehost.eu/image/78a115690085

The second link is the cropped part, open it in an image viewer and zoom in to count the height by yourself. Call Of Duty 3 is just like this too, and I remember I pointed out the same thing about Halo 3 MP Beta in another thread of this forum before without showing a pic like this but it was ignored and people told me the SP engine and MP engine are different. I'll be glad to be corrected if my method is erroneous ;)

We really ought to bug Luke or Frankie about the E3 2007 video... "Why is it such a crap encoding" "Why does it look upscaled to 720p" "How old is the footage"

They sort of cover it here and there, but there's nothing detailed enough for folks here.

:oops: holy crap

complete MP editor with each team designing their own defenses? how cool is that?

quite a hobby you have there considering that you hate Xbox. ;)
I'm just trying to correct the FUD that blames the person who encoded the Halo 3 video for no reason :smile: So do you agree with the conclusion from this pic? Try the same thing for other pics.

I'll be glad to be corrected if my method is erroneous

I don't find it surprising that you found exactly what you were looking for. The MP beta was not upscaled. :rolleyes:

one said:
I'm just trying to correct the FUD

Ohhh the irony.

This game is going to be epic, I cannot wait. I would like some more details on the meta games, can you get more points for melee only, what are all the style points for a kill? I could see it being months before I even venture into deathmatch style games, campaign, co-op and metagames could keep me very busy.

That caption makes it clear enough, you're the one trying to spread fanboy FUD. I expect to see that image used by fanboys to troll the game. Despite that, we have this:

http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Halo3/Screenshots/H3_E307_FP01.jpg

Direct feed and clearly 720p.
And absolutely zero aliasing in that image. Why? Please note that I don't claim 360 is underpowered or anything, it just shows Bungie could never miss the 2007 holiday and chose the safest path.
I don't find it surprising that you found exactly what you were looking for. The MP beta was not upscaled. :rolleyes:
Really?
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070518/halo3.htm
have plenty of clear images from the beta. Why not try it by yourself for an image like this
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070518/halo321.htm
to see the truth?

And absolutely zero aliasing in that image. Why? Please note that I don't claim 360 is underpowered or anything, it just shows Bungie could never miss the 2007 holiday and chose the safest path.
Really?
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070518/halo3.htm
have plenty of clear images from the beta. Why not try it by yourself for an image like this
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070518/halo321.htm
to see the truth?

Here's another one.

http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Halo3/Screenshots/H3_WSJ_CHIEF.jpg

One, seriously, drop this nonsense. The game is 720P, just like it was in the beta in all screen shots. The only FUD involved here is your assumption it's not based on a blurry screen cap from a video. We know you don't like Xbox but do you need to go to this extent to find something wrong?

I'm just trying to correct the FUD that

You realize you just posted a pic that reads:
"Halo 3 is SD not HD"

And you have the nerve to claim you're correcting FUD?? :rolleyes:

Even if it's not a full 720p, which I'm sure it is, it's not equivalent to SD (640x480) by any ridiculous stretch of the imagination.

One, seriously, drop this nonsense. The game is 720P, just like it was in the beta in all screen shots. The only FUD involved here is your assumption it's not based on a blurry screen cap from a video. We know you don't like Xbox but do you need to go to this extent to find something wrong?
Blurriness doesn't drop pixel edges selectively. What's this emotional response? Use your logic to refute this.

Photo mode.

You realize you just posted a pic that reads:
"Halo 3 is SD not HD"

And you have the nerve to claim you're correcting FUD?? :rolleyes:

Even if it's not a full 720p, which I'm sure it is, it's not equivalent to SD (640x480) by any ridiculous stretch of the imagination.
What makes you sure? I'd like to hear it.

What makes you sure? I'd like to hear it.

I highly doubt MS would allow their flagship title to not be full HD.

The negative PR would be huge. This would be the sort of story that would make mainstream news, and reflect extremely poorly on a console which is suppoed to represent HD graphics.

Not to mention, the only other example of this is a launch title. I doubt bungie would have to resort to this workaround 2 full years after the system launch.

Also, it doesn't seem Bungie was ever in danger of missing holiday 07, so that part of your reasoning does not make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back