Sony: PlayStation 3 price drop

2700% Increase?!?!!!

So amazon is reporting a 2700% increase.....hmm.....2700%!!!!

That simply means its selling 27 times more than it was previously. WOW!!

Do you all think an increase of this magnitude will be reflected in other stores as well?

It certainly seems there have been many Sony fans just waiting for a price drop?......guess i'm one since i'll be buying mines at the end of the month.

Amazon has a great deal too:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...pf_rd_i=468642

Order your PlayStation 3 now and not only will you receive one of the most powerful gaming and all-around entertainment systems available at a great new price, but for a limited time you will also receive a Sony PlayStation 3 Blu-Ray DVD Remote, a Memento Blu-ray and your choice of five Blu-ray Discs from a select list of titles by Mail-In Rebate, all FREE.

If you register for a Sony Style credit card too you get $100 off your first purchase.

$399 PS3 + 6 BluRay movies from Amazon.

I'm guessing MGS4 is time exclusive. However considering the substantial demand for a PS3 right now, I'm interested to see how sales will carry out in the next few months. Konami should know that MGS4 is seen as a big seller. It could be one of those PS3 titles which sells very good even though it's on the lowest install base. MGS4 is seen more bigger in the public eyes compare to games like Resistance, Motor Storm and even Lair. It's probably on the same helms of Final Fantasy but not quiet. I guess what I'm trying to point out is regardless if it's exclusive or not, it's going to do well and they will recoup the losses. Kazumi Kitaue should not worry.

I'm not sure about the budget going into making it, but I don't think it's anywhere close to Killzone's budget.

Doesnt make much sense to me, theyre offsetting the high costs of the next gen version by making a new DS version? Clearly it wouldnt be the same game and a DS version would have no impact on the PS3.

Ya, given the context of the quote, it's clear he's talking about porting the 'blockbuster' MGS4.

How in the world would they port MGS4 to DS? Wii would be more likely, but 360 is the most obvious choice to maximise profits.

When I bought it I thought the PS3 was worth the 599 euros it cost me, and looking at how central it is in our livingroom and how much playtime it has gotten, I'm more than happy. So if they lower the price to 499 now, that's great! I always assumed the price would come down, and the sooner the better, so I can buy another one. ;) (seriously, the one in the livingroom is so essential there that I want another one for Linux and one that I can use for some games that take more time, like, say, GT Online or something)

And of course it's not unimportant to me that the PS3 does well out there. The more people buy it, the better games I'll get for it and the longer it will be supported.

So no, I don't think there should too many people unhappy about the PS3 getting a pricecut, bar perhaps those that just bought it in the last few weeks or so. ;) (but they may well have already gotten half a price cut, there were some deals going on already)

So no, I don't think there should too many people unhappy about the PS3 getting a pricecut, bar perhaps those that just bought it in the last few weeks or so. ;) (but they may well have already gotten half a price cut, there were some deals going on already)

I'm not sure. Three months is very soon.

You have a point with the deals though. A nearby MediaMarkt already had a 499 Euro deal the other week...

So amazon is reporting a 2700% increase.....hmm.....2700%!!!!

That simply means its selling 27 times more than it was previously. WOW!!

Do you all think an increase of this magnitude will be reflected in other stores as well?

It certainly seems there have been many Sony fans just waiting for a price drop?......guess i'm one since i'll be buying mines at the end of the month.
I think I found a more detailed list:

fragFX for PlayStation 3 (mouse) - 41647%
PlayStation 3 (60GB) - 2700%
Blu-Ray- remote control - 1150%
MLB 07: The Show - 545%
F.E.A.R. - 405%
Sixaxis-controller - 400%
Resistance: Fall of Man - 372%
PS3 HDMI-cable - 362%
Formula 1 Championship Edition -355%
PS3 Component-AV-cable - 235%
Memory Card-adaptor - 227%
Virtua Fighter 5 - 205%
PS3 Intercooler - 195%
Ridge Racer 7 - 195%

% increase is a fairly useless statistic without knowing what the baseline is. You can really make things look better or worse by using % when the raw data isnt quite as compelling. Remember, the PS3 was only selling roughly 80k/month through ALL its dsitribution channels. Also, i wonder how much of this is due to the hardcore realizing the EE equipped units are officially drying up?

P.S. I use my Ps3 as BR player, one of the main reasons i bought it.

% increase is a fairly useless statistic without knowing what the baseline is. You can really make things look better or worse by using % when the raw data isnt quite as compelling. Remember, the PS3 was only selling roughly 80k/month through ALL its dsitribution channels. Also, i wonder how much of this is due to the hardcore realizing the EE equipped units are officially drying up?

P.S. I use my Ps3 as BR player, one of the main reasons i bought it.
If you look at the sales rank PS3 is at the number 1 above Wii, which is probably a better sales indicator according to you.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=pd_ts_vg_nav/102-4464176-2663312

But I doubt Amazon can represent the whole market like it's not indicative of Blu-ray vs HD DVD.

Back