Sony: PlayStation 3 price drop

Titanio

Legend
PS3 price-drop at E3? Circuit City seems to think so

I mentioned this in the E3 predicitions thread, but since we have pictorial evidence now, I guess it might be worth it's own.

Pic from Kotaku:

ps3_price_cut.jpg

This is from the next circuit city ad - the first after E3 (note the effective dates).

It seems possible, if unlikely, that it'd be a CC-only deal. Also possible that it would be a misprint, but seems a little coincidental with E3. When Target and Best Buy ads come in it should be possible to verify this..

Either we got a darn good photoshopper or thats one heck on a deal! :oops:

I have this week's CC ad with the $599 price tag and I cant help but laugh for some reason :LOL:

Seems like strange timing, you would think something closer to the holidays with all the new games would make sense. The console market is so slow during the summer too.

Seems like strange timing, you would think something closer to the holidays with all the new games would make sense. The console market is so slow during the summer too.

well maybe sony wants to perk it up for summer. I mean sales of ps3 are already pretty slow, imagine what summer doldrums will do :O

I think the timing is odd too. I always thought you might as well ride out the slow summer months since they're going to be slow anyway.

One other thing spotted by the more eagle eye - underneath the 499 is 'Reg: 599.99'. I don't know if it would say that if it was a general, official drop, or not. Might indicate it's specific to CC..although either way it'd be a good deal ;)

I guess we'll find out more solidly if target/bestbuy ads come in soon.

Actually credit for this news break goes to a poster on the CAG forums who has a very reliable track record for posting about adds before they've gone live. Not sure where the scan is from, but he posted about the price cut before kotaku posted it up.

I think the timing is odd too. I always thought you might as well ride out the slow summer months since they're going to be slow anyway.

One other thing spotted by the more eagle eye - underneath the 499 is 'Reg: 599.99'. I don't know if it would say that if it was a general, official drop, or not. Might indicate it's specific to CC..although either way it'd be a good deal ;)

I guess we'll find out more solidly if target/bestbuy ads come in soon.

A Circuit City "Price Break" is a permanent price drop, or so im told.

Do you guys remember when and where the PS2 price drops in the US happened? Exactly, at E3 (usually), there's zero precedence for the whole "wait until Christmas season".

I think there's a good chance of it being Circuit City only, but... I guess we'll know in a week either way! ;)

Good (better) deal in the interim though.

Actually, I think it's official now. Well, not official, but looking a lot more likely.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16721

Report: PS3 $499 on July 12

Although Sony has yet to confirm a price drop officially, GameDaily BIZ has received confirmation from the retail sector that the PS3 will be dropped to $499 next week. Sony itself recently talked about "refining" the PS3 price. Now it appears to be happening.

It wasn't clear at first if this ad was a special deal specific to the electronics retailer or if it's indeed a retail-wide price cut instituted by Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA). As it turns out, a merchandising manager (who wished to remain anonymous) at one of the world's biggest retailers has confirmed to GameDaily BIZ that the price drop is indeed retail-wide and it's scheduled to take place on July 12, although the first wave of ads to promote the PS3's new price won't kick in until Sunday, July 15.

SCEA when contacted for confirmation declined to comment.

Arrghh, I was hoping they were gonna go for the jugular and drop it to $399. Now Microsoft won't feel too pressured to drop price that much, maybe $50. At around $445 for 360 (system+game+tax), and $605 for PS3 (system+game+tax), they just don't seem low enough ;( Well, at least Nintendo will be happy.

Arrghh, I was hoping they were gonna go for the jugular and drop it to $399. Now Microsoft won't feel too pressured to drop price that much, maybe $50. At around $445 for 360 (system+game+tax), and $605 for PS3 (system+game+tax), they just don't seem low enough ;( Well, at least Nintendo will be happy.

Agreed, but I'm still holding out for a new low end SKU this winter, one that has the price reductions from the EU and Korea models, this one could be $399.

a $200 drop? c'mon..

I know one person that is buying very soon, so the $100 savings is icing along with the 5 free BDs.

Back