The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Number one is being able to run anything that I may want or need at any given time without having to go through RDP in order to do it.

Unfortunately, that's not a very realistic request. You're simply not going to have the performance to run any (presumably x86) application that you want, and without a custom tablet-based UI, you won't want to anyway. That goes for Android tablets as well.

Unfortunately, that's not a very realistic request. You're simply not going to have the performance to run any (presumably x86) application that you want, and without a custom tablet-based UI, you won't want to anyway. That goes for Android tablets as well.

That's a rather odd fallacy that's been going around the net recently. Those of us that have adopted and converted to convertable tablets (due to a lack of reasonably priced slates) have been doing just fine with pen only or pen + touch input for almost a decade now. With the experience becoming increasingly more robust with Vista and then Win7 (improved handwriting/cursive text recognition) among other improvements to a pen/touch interface.

It only really has problems if you limit the slates to capacitive touch only where the rather large surface area of a finger or capacitive touch pen renders accurate positioning, drawing, manipulation, etc. virtually impossible.

With Pen (active digitizer) + Touch there isn't a single productivity app that you cannot use comfortably on a slate once you get used to inputting text via handwritting. 3D CAD (Google Sketchup is a joy to use on a slate/tablet with proper active digitzer pen), Spreadsheets, Word Processing, Powerpoint, etc. The only place that can be irritating is if you absolutely have to use a cmd line interface (or similar) for extended periods of time. But in those cases you can just covert back to a notebook (if a convertable tablet) or activate a bluetooth/USB keyboard keyboard if a slate.

But I agree, and I've been pointing out the past few posts, that capacitive touch only is entirely inadequate for any type of serious slate use. As such iPad remains perfect for consumer media consumption but becomes increasing less useful as you start to get into more involved productivity suites due to the reliance on capacitive touch only.

Regards,
SB

What do you guys think is happening? I know Scott Wattson from TR has been speculating that it may be a move to sell AMD off to ATIC.

I am not too sure about that but then again AMD was meant to be in a buyable position now (meaning its share and marketing cap go UP not DOWN).

AMD needs to show some vision now which is what the board/media implied Dirk Meyer lacked (don't remember if there is a direct quote from AMD to pin on them or just speculation from the market and journos), to justify the loss of its execs. Do we have any replacement candidates yet?

At the moment there is just a lot of head scratching going on.

IMHO this doesn't bode well for Bulldozer at all. By now AMD should have working silicon and have a good idea where Bulldozer sits relative to the various i7 incarnations and Phenom II. If leadership is leaving I doubt that performance is great...Fusion has picked up a few netbook/laptop wins, but Atom is still going to dominate...shame.

they have had working bulldozers since atleast November (one of there demos was done on a bulldozer) so they have known what they have had for quite a while.

They also plan to bring back FX chips, you don't do that for something that cant compete. Being bought might be a real reason, board infighting etc might also be, there are lots of potential reasons.

i dont understand your ATOM optimism in the 5watt to 18watt space i haven't seen anything but glowing reviews for bobcat/zacate compared to ATOM, ATOM down the really low power draw end is still a massive unknown, even nokia with there latest news kind of seem to be sidelining ATOM/MeteGo. ULV chips are nice but aren't in the price range for where i think zacate will dominate.

AMD had shipped 1.4 million bobcat/zacate Ontario in the month and a bit of production to the end of last year, its been two months since then and its still hard to actually buy ITX/min atx etc products(they exist just had to get sock),thats got to tell you something about OEM demand.

you then have companies (lenovo,sony for example) who aren't even yet marketing fusion to the 1st world yet because it has massive 2/3rd world potential. They have the products there just selling them in emerging markets, where they can actual grow there business.
Zacate can offer a usable desktop experience where ATOM can't and its dirt cheap. The 3+ billion people in emerging markets ( china/india/brazil/south east asia) shouldn't be forgotten.

Don't get me wrong imd, I want AMD to succeed and be competitive. I hope it is just posturing for sale.

they have had working bulldozers since atleast November (one of there demos was done on a bulldozer) so they have known what they have had for quite a while.

They also plan to bring back FX chips, you don't do that for something that cant compete. Being bought might be a real reason, board infighting etc might also be, there are lots of potential reasons.

i dont understand your ATOM optimism in the 5watt to 18watt space i haven't seen anything but glowing reviews for bobcat/zacate compared to ATOM, ATOM down the really low power draw end is still a massive unknown, even nokia with there latest news kind of seem to be sidelining ATOM/MeteGo. ULV chips are nice but aren't in the price range for where i think zacate will dominate.

AMD had shipped 1.4 million bobcat/zacate Ontario in the month and a bit of production to the end of last year, its been two months since then and its still hard to actually buy ITX/min atx etc products(they exist just had to get sock),thats got to tell you something about OEM demand.

you then have companies (lenovo,sony for example) who aren't even yet marketing fusion to the 1st world yet because it has massive 2/3rd world potential. They have the products there just selling them in emerging markets, where they can actual grow there business.
Zacate can offer a usable desktop experience where ATOM can't and its dirt cheap. The 3+ billion people in emerging markets ( china/india/brazil/south east asia) shouldn't be forgotten.
Still Atom and Bobcat (for now) don't adress the same market, Atom based devices are cheaper.
I'm not sure Intel will stand still for too long either, Bobcat is not that much of a threat for Intel they can react.

Yeah I don't see Dell spending the dollars required to stay relevant in the high performance GPU market. Nor do I see them potentially making their relationship with Intel rough with this move.

Regards,
SB

No where in that link do they mention Dell.

True, just read it myself, took the Dell from another sites news which only linked to that post, dunno where they made the mistake or if they forgot to paste some other relevant link

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20423

A report by Barrons.com provides a possible explanation: the chipmaker is gearing up for an acquisition. Barrons says chatter around Wall Street hints that Dell (yes, Dell) is eying AMD as a buyout candidate. This talk apparently lacks specifics, which doesn't help its plausibility. How exactly would chip design operations fit into Dell's business?
This is no one-off attention-grabbing headline, though. Barrons quotes a separate Bloomberg story that echoes similar speculation—namely, that there is some "chatter" about an AMD acquisition by an unknown party. Bloomberg calls the chatter "far-fetched," but it concedes that "there is no management team" at AMD, which could make it ripe for the picking.

NVIDIA should buy AMD. :D Now that would be interesting.

I'm having a hard time coming up with other exciting options here... IBM maybe? What about VIA's giant parent company?

I don't understand why Dell would be interested considering the importance of their Intel relationship. That would undoubtedly die with such a move.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt regulators would allow either Intel or Nvidia to buy AMD. If AMD has a good suitor it's going to be someone like Samsung, Toshiba, Hitachi, Motorola, VIA...at least IMHO.

I'm sure people said the same thing when Maserati slapped their label on the Chrysler lebaron!

I'm sure people said the same thing when Maserati slapped their label on the Chrysler lebaron!

yes but maserati never did the logical thing :D

Still Atom and Bobcat (for now) don't adress the same market, Atom based devices are cheaper.
I'm not sure Intel will stand still for too long either, Bobcat is not that much of a threat for Intel they can react.

i guess there are a few things here to consider,
1. dont let throughput fool you, pre thread performace especally at this very low end has a lot to do with user experence.
2. could intel improve ATOM's single thread performace to meet or beat bobcat, propably, will they? now that depends on the cost (mainly power) the market that intel want to target with it.
3. if intel do 2 can they get a good graphices experence and maintain that for the life of the chip? intel have a lot to prove in both the gpu and the driver space.
4. will bobcat as a core and will fusion as a product stand still? the whole big whohar from AMD was this was done with only high level tools to me that says "rapid" development, but then what directi will amd take bbocat in, more IPC, less power, more cores etc?

unless all four of these things turn out blue, intel higher single thread performace, atom targets same market, intel get there shit together graphics side and amd do nothing will bobcat/fuson then i can see a very big market that AMD should be able to get good sales out of.

i guess the other thing is OEM attitude towards the product, there they ones who need to build a reputation in these emerging markets i see this APU doing well in. And for that kind of things a product can be greater then the sum of its parts.

edit: i jump on AS this morning and look what i find....lol
http://www.semiaccurate.com/2011/02/15/atom-dead-strangled-slowly-intel/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back