Switching to AMD tomorrow (7900XTX) - Anything in the driver control panel I need to know?

I've not had an AMD GPU for nigh on 11 years and all I used to do was set AF to 'x16' and transparency AA to 'Adaptive'

I know from being on Twitter that AMD's control panel is supposed to be a level or two above NVIDIA's so is there's anything hidden or a setting that easily missed that I should keep an eye out for?

The AMD software is indeed better than NVIDIA's. Unfortunately I didn't get to use it very much since my 6700XT was defective. I did try the automatic undervolting option which seemed to work.

I'm having a blast with 7900XTX, it's going back on Monday though as the coil whine is insane.

But so far I'm very, very impressed with it and quite a step up over the 4070ti it replaced.

Even ray tracing is better than expected, and CP2077 Overdrive mode is actually the same as the 4070ti if a little faster which I was not expecting at all.

Although with the extra 25-35% more raster performance I have found myself turning RT off and running everything at either a locked 120fps or 165fps which the 4070ti simply could not do.

Last edited:
I was just thinking about how terrible the driver software options in NVIDIA's control panel are. Specifically, I was on the hunt to force some higher quality AA in Oblivion via the driver app profile, and ... JFC when was the last time NVIDIA spent any time with this?

My supposition is, NVIDIA wants users to migrate to their GeForce experience app to make these changes which I'd be happy to do, except... Several years ago, you could use the GeForce experience app locally on your machine without any other hooks or requirements. Now, you're absolutely required to log in with a social media or email account in order to open the stupid thing, and I refuse. There's literally no benefit to a user for exposing their details in order to tweak driver configuration.

I have some free time on my hands as of late, maybe I should consider writing a better app profile wrapper.

They're terrible on both to be honest and neither of them offer an easy way to access all the forms and AA methods their GPU's actually support.

For Nvidia GPU's, just use Nvidia Profile Inspector.

Back