Dirt demo on Live Marketplace this Thursday

True, but it sucks even more that I still don't have it, the downloading just stops and then resumes and shows different percentages and then it starts from zero again. I'm going to try the US marketplace now.

try going to system/memory and deleting what may show as a partial DL.

and then retry... that happened to me once on a demo and that helped.

True, but it sucks even more that I still don't have it, the downloading just stops and then resumes and shows different percentages and then it starts from zero again. I'm going to try the US marketplace now.

I've had this happen before, it was the first time any DL got stuck, in my case I solved it by connecting my 360 directly to modem, skipping the router. After two days of trying to DL the Oblivion expansion pack, it worked first shot.

I've had this happen before, it was the first time any DL got stuck, in my case I solved it by connecting my 360 directly to modem, skipping the router. After two days of trying to DL the Oblivion expansion pack, it worked first shot.

good point and a good time for this link which may help some people?

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

see link to find your router and then follow the link from there for Xbox 360 LIVE and it will tell you exactly how to set your router to Port Forward the (2) appropriate ports. You should then be able to go to your 360 and under "network"... test connections and see NAT as OPEN which will help if it is now somehow restricted.

Just finished downloading. Framerate is a letdown, but the graphics are surprisingly awesome. I say surprisingly because I wasn't impressed with some of the screen shots. The grass is amazing...man.

Just finished downloading. Framerate is a letdown, but the graphics are surprisingly awesome. I say surprisingly because I wasn't impressed with some of the screen shots. The grass is amazing...man.

The grass is what struck me in the videos...so much of it (like in real life) and it reacts to the car realistically. Should be in every game IMO

try going to system/memory and deleting what may show as a partial DL.

and then retry... that happened to me once on a demo and that helped.

Thanks for the tips. My X360 is connected directly to the modem, although I think the router and the modea are in the same box as my PC and X360 is both connected to the only box I have.

In anycase I'll try my luck again tomorrow, now I'm just going to hit the deck. Good night everybody :LOL:

Im not getting any luck over here either. I usually get these demos within 10 mins, but now its only done 7% in the last hour. Gonna have to wait till tomorrow now as well :mad:

Does anyone know whether this game will use Microsoft live on the pc version?

Mine downloaded in less that 15minutes, not bad at all.

The game is impressive, but not as photo-realistic as the screens showed, the mud deformation leaves a little to be desired compared to Motorstorm too.

On the plus side, the 4xAA is obvious, and there is not a hint of jaggies, which is excellent. The car models look so much smoother and cleaner than the ones in Forza, the environments are a little less impressive though imo. Also, the in-car view is PERFECT, this is how PGR should've done it, nice open view which still looks realistic.

Framerate did not bother me at all, the sense of speed is excellent, and almost overwhelming from the bumper cam.

Cool game...but it ain't no Forza :p

Played all three maps, game looks good, nice sense of speed and very little aliasing. I think the HDR is overdone, but I've never been a fan of HDR. The driving feels floaty, but it may just take time to master the controls. It's nothing like Motorstorm, so no use in comparing those two games. If someone wants to compare it to RC2 or CM that would be cool. I don't think I would blow $60 based on this demo, but maybe if the reviews are good or I catch a Fry's sale.

Cool game...but it ain't no Forza :p

Same. Having real life pavement tracks is what hooks me into a driving game. My ideal game would be Forza2 with all the F1 tracks!!!

Also, after the 60fps of Forza 2 and no motion blur, I very clearly prefer that to motion blur and 30fps.

As Todd stated above, a Fry's sale will likely get me to jump in but with the amount of time I"ll spend of Forza2, $60 is a bit steep for this game.

... If someone wants to compare it to RC2 or CM that would be cool. ....

well it is a CM game... so yea, I'd guess it compares pretty well to that. ;) :p

again 1st CM game I've played and it definitely looks next gen and the lack of aliasing is quite noticeable (and a treat) as is the lighting and after repeated plays I'm liking the controls even more but they are very sensitive.

This may be a buy for me and I will probably now pass on Forza. Hopefully PGR4 will surpass expectations as well. I played Motorstorm again at the store today (retail copy) about 1/2 hour after playing this demo and it seems the MS game play is more fun (Road Rash style :smile:) but Dirt looks as good if not better IMO.

Oh and I'm wondering about weather effects in Dirt and or snow tracks (like RSC2) :)

Sorry, I meant past CM games, which I've never played. The demo has the close feel like Gears of War, where they can concentrate on details that games with larger scopes can't.

...The demo has the close feel like Gears of War, where they can concentrate on details that games with larger scopes can't.

true. the draw distance in MS is farther and the framerate seems better and Dirt focuses on a different type of environment but what it does it does very well (lighting, anti-aliasing 3d grass).

Edit:
in dirt race mode with 10 buggies... wow... very open spaces and still runs/looks great (a little occasional slowdown when looking behind you) but no slowdown in the rally racers (1-2 cars)

Last edited by a moderator:
Racing games aren't my thing but it's pretty. Particularly the one level with the gorgeous HDR and fir trees. Also think the achievementesque loading screen 3D factoids have potential. Loading is a bit long.

The more I play the more I like it! I'm in for one for sure now. I have to see just how cool the replays look given how good ingame graphics are.

This and Forza 2 will hold me too till Halo3 (I think :()

The framerate was good smooth and consistent. It may not be 60FPS like Forza but it's a solid 30 with no drops that I could see. Plus this is a demo so some things will be more solid in the final game although to me the framerate was not an issue at all.
The game looked great best looking racer this gen by far, damage models are also the best I've seen and the environmental damage is cool as well.

This is going to be a triple AAA polished racer from top to bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back