The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the jump from GT3 to GT4 (in terms of graphics) is anything to go by we will see images like those shown in replays in GT5 during the races in GT6 on the PS3.

If the jump from GT3 to GT4 (in terms of graphics) is anything to go by we will see images like those shown in replays in GT5 during the races in GT6 on the PS3.
I dont think it's realistic to assume that PD will ship GT6 before the next generation of consoles, especially when you consider the gap between GT3, GT4, GT5p and GT5 proper's distant 2009/10 release date

Good question,the intro seems like a slightly juiced up version of a replay cinematic with carefully selected shots and higher grade filters. (I'm hoping we can get GT5's 30 fps image quality at 60/1080 with the next generation of hardware.)

Thank you for your reply.

Would be interesting to hear if the intro is rendered in realtime or if it is pre recorded and stored as H.264 AVC file or something like that. Furthermore it would be interesting to hear if the intro is 30fps or 60fps.

Recently,I watched it yet again after having spent a multiple hours with Wipeout HD (and subsequently getting more sensitive to framerate drops) and while the intro played, I started seeing framerate stutters that I hadnt noticed before. The one major framerate stutter I noticed was the section of the intro when the red car goes through the Eiger Nordwand tunnel. Has anyone elsed noticed that?

There are different intros for different regions, aren't they? Europe, USA and Japan have their own intro with different footage and different music, haven't they?

I dont know if its recorded in-engine or scripted in realtime, but wouldnt something recorded in-engine run at a near perfectly smooth framerate?

Only if the hardware that rendered the 'inengine' intro was cappable of producing smooth framerates, don't you think?

Maybe some other users on this forum are able to answer those questions ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you talking about the intro that comes on the disc of the BD version and is available as a separate download for the PSN version? Because if that's the case, then it's a 60 fps version of what the replay engine produces at 30 fps in-game I think, if I remember correctly.

It's typically the first thing I switch off, so I haven't seen it in a while. I now see that animation with the three new cars being off-loaded from trucks, that's been up since spec III was launched (and which is realtime)

Are you talking about the intro that comes on the disc of the BD version and is available as a separate download for the PSN version?

You can at least find the 'Japanese Intro' here:

http://us.playstation.com/granturismo/media.asp?m_section=movies

Because if that's the case, then it's a 60 fps version of what the replay engine produces at 30 fps in-game I think, if I remember correctly.

There is the 'Japanese Launch Trailer', too. It is or was available through PSN as 1080p AVC version, too. And it's definately encoded at 30fps. Every other GT5P video or trailer that is or was available as 1080p AVC through PSN is definately 30fps, too. Don't know about the intro though.

Are you sure the Intro is 60fps (As already mentioned, there seem to be different intros for different regions, but that likely shouldn't matter in terms of framerate, should't it?)?

European Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Intro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4q3utJ87cw

USA Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Intro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UUh0yaTvjw

Japanese Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Intro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xki5TeyfL9w

Thank you for your reply.

Would be interesting to hear if the intro is rendered in realtime or if it is pre recorded and stored as H.264 AVC file or something like that. Furthermore it would be interesting to hear if the intro is 30fps or 60fps.

There are different intros for different regions, aren't they? Europe, USA and Japan have their own intro with different footage and different music, haven't they?

Only if the hardware that rendered the 'inengine' intro was cappable of producing smooth framerates, don't you think?

Maybe some other users on this forum are able to answer those questions ;).
Well yes, since I'm assuming the GT5 engine is also running on PC devkit which no doubt could render the intro cinematic at a perfectly smooth framerate.
edit: for some reason, I also assumed you were talking about the BD NA intro. There is another intro that is certainly realtime, with cars being driven through an parking garage. Are you talking about one of the intros that came with the DL updates?

Would be interesting to hear if the intro is rendered in realtime or if it is pre recorded and stored as H.264 AVC file or something like that.
I don't think the update (the update prior to Spec III) was big enough to have included a 1080p rendered video so my *guess* would be it's rendered real time using the same effects as replay mode.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008...e-a-gt5-prologue-challenge-from-tanner-foust/

Some of you may know who I am. If you do, that’s great. If you don’t, let me introduce myself. My name is Tanner Foust, and I’m a professional drift, rally, and ice racer.

I am challenging all of you to post your best lap time in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, in the online race event “Tanner Foust Racing Competition.” You’ll have to bring your best driving skills and push the Nissan Fairlady Z (Japanese version of the 350Z – my drifting car of choice) around the London city track faster than anyone else. With Professional driving physics of course. You have from now until midnight on November 2 to put your skills to the test.

Ostepop, avaya and some one else (I forgot who, Crayon ?), are you guys up to it ? :D

I sooo didn't believe this whole thing (sounded incredibly made-up) until I saw the pictures at the end ... :LOL: !

Did make me want to boot up GT5 Prologue again though!

Looks like GT5 in 2009 confirmed then, though when is anyone's guess, probably late.

You can at least find the 'Japanese Intro' here:

There is the 'Japanese Launch Trailer', too. It is or was available through PSN as 1080p AVC version, too. And it's definately encoded at 30fps. Every other GT5P video or trailer that is or was available as 1080p AVC through PSN is definately 30fps, too. Don't know about the intro though.

Are you sure the Intro is 60fps (As already mentioned, there seem to be different intros for different regions, but that likely shouldn't matter in terms of framerate, should't it?)?

USA Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Intro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UUh0yaTvjw

That intro is really realtime?, whoa :oops:

I sooo didn't believe this whole thing (sounded incredibly made-up) until I saw the pictures at the end ... :LOL: !

Did make me want to boot up GT5 Prologue again though!

Looks like GT5 in 2009 confirmed then, though when is anyone's guess, probably late.

Yeah, Yamauchi actually let him drive the Nurburgring and the Le Mans Track in Gran Turismo 5 :D:p;).

And to be on Beyond3D topic :D, he actually even answered him, that Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is 1280 x 1080p:

i also asked him is it true that the game runs at 1080p but not FULL HD (1920*1080) ?

he answered yes its around 1280*1080 and he explained to me why the vertical lines isn't as important as the horizental ones in racing games.

By the way, do you guys think, that Polyphony Digital could make the full Gran Turismo 5 render at full 1920 x 1080p ingame (in real gameplay)?

Another question: Replays in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue are full 1920 x 1080p without AA at 30fps, aren't they? If yes, is there anything else, that graphicallywise differs from the 1280 x 1080p, 2 x AA, 60fps gameplay?

That intro is really realtime?, whoa :oops:

Did anybody claim that? So, who knows.

^ Ahh, memories. GT1 was the reason why me and my bro bought a PS1 after owning an N64 for so long. Then I remember buying a PS2 with GT3 as my first game.

I didn't know that.

The 22 participants were selected from 25,000 enthusiasts. If the show prize is more racing in the real world (instead of prize money), you'd think that only those who truly want to race would apply. Any more info on this ?

I'm not too worried about the 22 people that went to Silverstone to receive racing licence training to be honest :D ... At the LAN events I was one of the few fast drivers without a driver's licence in the early days (got it three years ago). And even then, my driving instructor was very impressed from day one. Not that that mattered much, driving in the Netherlands is primarily about traffic sign awareness, avoiding suicidal pedestrians and bicycles, mopeds, etc. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back