Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Perhaps there's a setup which would make it feel more natural.
But when I tried it, I couldn't get used to the feeling of my left hand holding the gamepad without it being stabilized by my right hand. At that point, I just felt like trying to write two different things with a pen in each hand.
Maybe if I had one of those lapboards for mousing and the gamepad was clamped to the left side of it.
Maybe a Wii joystick would work better? Don't know if there's an app like DS4windows for it to emulate a Xbox controller.

I just today learned about this game, and that it's also different from the game "Unrecorded" which was the bodycam style game we saw before, which looks better.

I think the mechanic of a inner bounding box for aiming the gun and outer box for turning is something nice and allows for some more realistic looking gunplay and animations. I'm hesitant to call it "new" because Wii games and other motion games have been doing it for forever.. but in the traditional game sphere, it's quite different.

At first it always reminds me of old Crysis mods. I'm looking forward to more games like this.

Creation of new physical controllers is such a cool job to think about IMO. The kinematics alone are just crazy: so many differently sized and proportioned hands, so many ways in which people are comfortable manipulating their wrists and thumbs and fingers together or separately, how to account for those with limited range of motion or perhaps even exceptionally large range of motion which they'd like to gain from? And then you get into tactile feedback like textures of the various surfaces, does it click or does it squish, what kind of noise does it make while clicking or squishing, how much resistance is enough, how much weight is enough?

Imagine a not so distant future where a good cell phone camera and an app can get a pretty solid 3D picture of your hand(s), can output the necessary STL or 3DF or whatever to have a bespoke controller printed for your hand. Then there's some sort of snappable buttons (like the customizable switches on high end gamer keyboards) and a central PCB which can be installed, along with pockets for weights and tada you now have a controller specifically for you. I see these being most useful for VR headsets or maybe even mice, not so much for things like flight or driving controls.

Edit: man, typing on mobile was a terrible idea. So many typos!

Last edited:
At first it always reminds me of old Crysis mods. I'm looking forward to more games like this.

For sure!

Obviously every game has a different style and feel that they are going for, but I think some shooters would do well to try to differentiate between the player view and aiming with gun model and how they track and animate along with player movement. It can really improve the visceral feeling of shooting when the hand/gun feels more 1:1 with the movement of the mouse or analog stick instead of just controlling where they are looking 1:1.

I hope that makes sense to anyone else lol.

Perhaps there's a setup which would make it feel more natural.
But when I tried it, I couldn't get used to the feeling of my left hand holding the gamepad without it being stabilized by my right hand. At that point, I just felt like trying to write two different things with a pen in each hand.
Maybe if I had one of those lapboards for mousing and the gamepad was clamped to the left side of it.

From pure hardware setup standpoint Razer had the Orbweaver/Tartarus. If there was software support for such layout you could basically have WASD and thumb analog control with your left hand, and your mouse on the right hand.

Has any game ever tried to combine left stick for forward/back/side-to-side with mouse aim? You gain the analog variance of controlling your movement which IMO is superior than WSAD in most cases, with the fluid and accurate feel of mouse aim/direction control.

There's analog keyboards which allow analog WASD movement.

From pure hardware setup standpoint Razer had the Orbweaver/Tartarus. If there was software support for such layout you could basically have WASD and thumb analog control with your left hand, and your mouse on the right hand.
To my understanding those "key/gamepads" shouldn't require any special software support, should they? They keyboard part is just standard keys, thumbstick should be mapped as xinput stick which should work universally (on Windows anyway, I'm sure Linux has some similar functionality, Mac might not, dunno)

To my understanding those "key/gamepads" shouldn't require any special software support, should they? They keyboard part is just standard keys, thumbstick should be mapped as xinput stick which should work universally (on Windows anyway, I'm sure Linux has some similar functionality, Mac might not, dunno)

I don't mean software support specific to those hardware items but in terms of the game supporting what they were discussing.

With a hardware setup like for instance you could in theory have completely independent leg (WASD), head (thumb stick) and arm/gun (mouse) movement.

I don't mean software support specific to those hardware items but in terms of the game supporting what they were discussing.

With a hardware setup like for instance you could in theory have completely independent leg (WASD), head (thumb stick) and arm/gun (mouse) movement.
I'm not aware of a single game disabling kb/mouse when using gamepad, so it should work without issues without any special support so long as you map them right.
But what I'm more curious about is why you'd want to split head and aim from each other? I mean sure, you don't want to look at all the blood guts and brains splattering on walls you could turn your head and start shooting blind but.... (VR aside ofc)

Last edited:
I'm not aware of a single game disabling kb/mouse when using gamepad, so it should work without issues without any special support so long as you map them right.
But what I'm more curious about is why you'd want to split head and aim from each other? I mean sure, you don't want to look at all the blood guts and brains splattering on walls you could turn your head and start shooting blind but.... (VR aside ofc)

I wasn't the one who originally brought it up so you'd need to ask them.

For me personally I could see it maybe be interesting if you're looking for an immersion/simulation factor. But it would definitely less gamey for better or worse.

Lots of games automatically switch the hints as to which buttons to press based on the last active controller input (keyboard vs gamepad) and having those switch rapid fire during gameplay would likely be pretty irritating, though.

February 14, 2024
By popular request, here’s the city of Markarth in Unreal Engine 5 – at a more realistic and lore-accurate scale! Part of an ongoing project to visualise a more realistic and lore accurate scale to Tamriel’s cities – now with sixteen times the detail!
NOTE: This is a fanmade cinematic lore visualisation for Skyrim. It is NOT a mod!

@Andrew Lauritzen I have an *optimization* idea for virtual shadow maps & texturing using the tiled resources API on modern Intel graphics hardware. They have a hardware feature called Tiled Resources Translation Tables (TR-TT) where you can bypass the overhead of updating the page table mappings which makes the UpdateTileMappings API run fast ...

Back