Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

How can hardware lumen be activated in Fort Solis?

DF mentioned it here in 1:28:33

And here around 5:50

I can't find anything on how to do it in the Internet.

Let's see. I've thought about buying it but the software lumen has a lot of artifacts with emissive light sources. That's a bit annoying. I would buy it with hardware lumen.

i don't think the graphics in themselves are better than something like Robocop, but what sets it apart are the camera movement, animation, and the distorded view, all that make the game look very realistic, and the controls sound original, don't know how good it effectively plays.

i don't think the graphics in themselves are better than something like Robocop, but what sets it apart are the camera movement, animation, and the distorded view, all that make the game look very realistic, and the controls sound original, don't know how good it effectively plays.
I just today learned about this game, and that it's also different from the game "Unrecorded" which was the bodycam style game we saw before, which looks better.

I think the mechanic of a inner bounding box for aiming the gun and outer box for turning is something nice and allows for some more realistic looking gunplay and animations. I'm hesitant to call it "new" because Wii games and other motion games have been doing it for forever.. but in the traditional game sphere, it's quite different. Using a mouse will obviously feel more natural with it than say using thumbsticks on a controller.. but with gyro aiming, this could translate quite well to a controller I reckon. Will be interesting to try them out... and also with Praydog's VR mode.. things could get a little crazy. lol

I think the mechanic of a inner bounding box for aiming the gun and outer box for turning is something nice and allows for some more realistic looking gunplay and animations. I'm hesitant to call it "new" because Wii games and other motion games have been doing it for forever.. but in the traditional game sphere, it's quite different. Using a mouse will obviously feel more natural with it than say using thumbsticks on a controller.. but with gyro aiming, this could translate quite well to a controller I reckon. Will be interesting to try them out... and also with Praydog's VR mode.. things could get a little crazy. lol
If I'm understanding this right, this is how Goldeneye and Timesplitters handled aiming.

If I'm understanding this right, this is how Goldeneye and Timesplitters handled aiming.
I didn't even think to go THAT far back, but you're absolutely right! It's fairly close to that. Though GoldenEye more or less auto aimed at enemies if they were within the aiming bounding box. The gun would automatically move and adjust to shoot where the enemy was. When you were 'free aiming' it would basically act the same as what this is I believe.

I always loved how the gun moved and pointed at where you were aiming regardless of the orientation of the player character. GoldenEye was actually quite cinematic for that time period. Even how enemies reacted to being shot was cool.

Last edited:
Has any game ever tried to combine left stick for forward/back/side-to-side with mouse aim? You gain the analog variance of controlling your movement which IMO is superior than WSAD in most cases, with the fluid and accurate feel of mouse aim/direction control.

Has any game ever tried to combine left stick for forward/back/side-to-side with mouse aim? You gain the analog variance of controlling your movement which IMO is superior than WSAD in most cases, with the fluid and accurate feel of mouse aim/direction control.
Do you mean holding a gamepad in your left hand and a mouse in your right?

I'm hoping that there's a lot more experimentation with inputs coming. I think there could be some interesting stuff that no one has looked into. Gyro aim is becoming a really interesting thing on controller. People are even playing CS on pc with controller gyro aim. It's accurate enough. Then you get stuff like people aiming with drawing tablets ...

I think there are some Xbox games which unintentionally allow that, because they have support for both control mechanisms.

This channel does a lot of testing for M/KB compatibility. You might be able to tell from his videos if the game is working in that fashion.
Games on PC that support both control inputs generally swap between one or the other. You press a controller button or move the stick, it switches everything to controller mode. Move the mouse or press space bar, it switches to M/KB mode. That works fantastic normally as for games like Starfield for example, on foot I use M/KB and in space I use controller.

I'm not sure I've encountered a game that takes input from both sources simultaneously. Maybe I'll see if I can find one sometime.

I just tested this out in Cyberpunk on my Series X.
It works exactly as described. Left hand holding the gamepad, right hand on the mouse. Simultaneous control.
It's very cumbersome to use, though. I would definitely stick with one or the other.
And I have no idea if it would work on a PC.

I just tested this out in Cyberpunk on my Series X.
It works exactly as described. Left hand holding the gamepad, right hand on the mouse. Simultaneous control.
It's very cumbersome to use, though. I would definitely stick with one or the other.
And I have no idea if it would work on a PC.
I used to play PC games like this. I used a dpad like WASD, and L1 to jump, L2 to duck. Middle mouse click for use. Back then, that was about all of the buttons you needed.

Perhaps there's a setup which would make it feel more natural.
But when I tried it, I couldn't get used to the feeling of my left hand holding the gamepad without it being stabilized by my right hand. At that point, I just felt like trying to write two different things with a pen in each hand.
Maybe if I had one of those lapboards for mousing and the gamepad was clamped to the left side of it.

Back