Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's up with no raytracing for amd cards in Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart for amd GPUs at release?
It's an AMD driver issue.

• Application crash or driver timeout may be observed while playing Ratchet & Clank™: Rift Apart with Ray-Tracing and Dynamic Resolution Scaling enabled on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 7900 XTX.
  • AMD is working with the game developers of Ratchet & Clank™: Rift Apart to resolve some stability issues when Ray-Tracing is enabled.

Strangely specific problem though on a titel that used raytracing alot on PS5 dont you think?

And somewhat "convinient" to have "only" a bug right out of the gates after many months spend in development where it arguably had to function somehow ..

^ you saw right through nvidia's schemes. Those pesky people, paying to gimp the game on AMD :p
It's a driver issue that's literally written in the driver notes by AMD. There's no conspiracy

What's up with no raytracing for amd cards in Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart for amd GPUs at release?
They must have performance issues on AMD GPUs...
Maybe those super efficient low level console API instructions translate rather bad to PC APIs..
Not much room there with all that Direct Storage GPU decompression shenanigans happening at the same time huh ..?!

I think you just won troll post of the week.

^ you saw right through nvidia's schemes. Those pesky people, paying to gimp the game on AMD :p
It's a driver issue that's literally written in the driver notes by AMD. There's no conspiracy
My angle ist not any conspiracy about Nvidia - i don't care what or what not they do..
I was coming from development hurdles because of Console API yada yada point of view.
But we might get reviews today so maybe we learn more about it soon.

My angle ist not any conspiracy about Nvidia - i don't care what or what not they do..
I was coming from development hurdles because of Console API yada yada point of view.
But we might get reviews today so maybe we learn more about it soon.
Your post history shows your 'angle' here and it's not an innocent one:

You've clearly bought into all the 'PS5 is a super magical special console' rhetoric and you're desperately trying to hold onto that notion despite things kind of unwinding around you.

And make no mistake, I'm a strong advocate of console advantages and was just recently arguing with others about it here, but you have clearly gone well beyond reason with it.

Your post history shows your 'angle' here and it's not an innocent one:

You've clearly bought into all the 'PS5 is a super magical special console' rhetoric and you're desperately trying to hold onto that notion despite things kind of unwinding around you.

And make no mistake, I'm a strong advocate of console advantages and was just recently arguing with others about it here, but you have clearly gone well beyond reason with it.
I was hoping you would recieve, or no, even obtain a 'like" from pjbliverpool with your comment..
Wich you did.

Have a thumps up for that achievement 👍

Maybe those super efficient low level console API instructions translate rather bad to PC APIs..
Not much room there with all that Direct Storage GPU decompression shenanigans happening at the same time huh ..?!

Seems to be doing okay on the Nvidia hardware and drivers, which are using the same APIs.

NOTE: At the eight minute mark, the RX 570 is compared to the PS4 - we meant PS4 Pro. The RX 570 has 32 GCN compute units, similar to the PS4 Pro GPU, but runs at with higher clocks.
We received an advance build Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart on PC ahead of time, but with not enough time available to do a complete analysis. So here, we take a look at the PC version at max and minimum specs on appropriate hardware and stack it up against the PlayStation 5 version running in its performance RT mode.

Edit: I thought the PC version was the chosen one, I guess I will hold off on the double dip purchase with this one. Another disappointing PlayStation PC port...

Last edited:
Looks like my earlier concerns that the AMD RT delay point to a rushed release were justified. Good overall, but will various bugs that will hopefully improve over the coming weeks.

View attachment 9275

Left Alex maxed out PC, right John PS5 Performance mode

This game has some serious texture loading issues on PC...

Just for clarity... PS5 R&C Rift Apart game profile modes.
Performance Mode: 60 frames per second. Dynamic 4K resolution.
Performance Mode RT: 60 frames per second. Lower resolution. Features ray-tracing, adjusted lighting, VFX, and screen density.
Fidelity Mode: 30 frames per second. Ray-tracing. Native 4K resolution. 40fps with 120Hz display panels.

Last edited:

Portal dimension on a Ps4 Pro equivalent PC with a PS4 HDD
i think Richs PC still uses a SSD here. They said in the video that they would come back to a Video with him using a hdd instead.. #Edit - saw it the top video shows the HDD - good grief.... But you know what technically that also means nothing. They could if they realy wanted, dumb it even more down to even less to make the transitions a bit more smooth an HDD - but thats the thing - that was not their Vision. There statement about the Game possible only on PS5 was not a lie then after all..
But yeah the port is besides the bugs i would say quite nice on PC. Also PS5s IQ Settings hold up well even against top PC HW...
The most interesting is the RTX2070 PC wich they did not show to much of , but they state that the game definatly feels heavier than Spiderman (surprise) and therefore a RTX2070 is not enough to hit PS5 settings. Thats the beginning then. The realisation that a RTX20xx card will not be on par with PS5 settings in Sony owned studios (read as *Developer who actually uses to the metal coding for best usage of PS5 HW* )...

Last edited:

Portal dimension on a Ps4 Pro equivalent PC with a PS4 HDD. 1 minutes on one portal the sequence is probably terrible to play.

I think John pointed out somewhere that this PS4 launch HDD video is on a PC using only 8GB of ram, so there'll (probably) be a lot of page file thrashing making this a lot worse.

16GB of ram and a decent 7200 rpm drive and this should be a lot better, though still well behind even a SATA SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back