Xbox Showcase 2023 (June 11th)

I mean, so that’s about $60 off from its regular price point otherwise it’s $299. So there hasn’t been an official price reduction maybe not for a while
Right, and the 1TB Series S availability is September 1st, so a couple months to clear the channel of launch models.

Right, and the 1TB Series S availability is September 1st, so a couple months to clear the channel of launch models.
You’re thinking they just remove the existing white sku out?

Like what happens after 1TB comes out will they still have a white 512GB model?

we knew this would come, was just expecting it at $299 and the 512model to drop to $240.

Disappointed not to see anything from State of Decay 3. Three years with nothing to show doesn't look promising.
Since their goal now is "4 first-party games a year" seems like 2024 is full and it's a 2025 game with South of Midnight and Clockwork Revolution.
So they can build up their other (support) studios in the time.
Personally I didn't expected it before 2025, since they're still going strong support wise with SoD 2.

Between Sony and MS, MS handily won the battle of the conferences this year imo.

One sore spot is that the black series S is only reserved for a 50 dollar price hike 😔 why couldent that just be the original color.

My budget is 200 to 250 for the console when I am gonna jump on it. But this black console and controller are much preferable design wise to the original

Between Sony and MS, MS handily won the battle of the conferences this year imo.

One sore spot is that the black series S is only reserved for a 50 dollar price hike 😔 why couldent that just be the original color.

My budget is 200 to 250 for the console when I am gonna jump on it. But this black console and controller are much preferable design wise to the original
Yea. This is why I think the official price drop will take longer. It provides some clues as to when they believe the cost of series S will drop enough that they drop them together; 249 and 299 respectively when the time comes; maybe 12-18 months from now.

I suspect the colour is to avoid any official confusion of hard drive size. If you intend to sell or resell it. Also helps with rebranding the box.

I like these guys.
Even if not true, they are among the few white collars that look human.

D8lONYZU0AA0cJl
Spencer is without doubt the best dressed man in history of gaming.
Liked the Hexen sticker on his t-shirt. Due to reflectance it looked like coming out just before the show from some cheap printer. Selfmade and authentic - a true fan. :D
Very likeable, yes.

But that's not always true for game protagonists.
I talk about Fable, actually. This was my impression (i don't know any Fable game):
I saw a teen boy. Iirc, dressed like present time, maybe watching TV.
Then i saw the same boy in a girls fairytale dress. Wtf? I expected some joke to come.
But did not happen. They were serious about it - a boy in a girls dress, and everything seemed like normal.
Then suddenly the boy has shown up again again right beside, in his regular boy clothes. And he was huge. Kind of giant. It looked like the boy was fighting his miniature self in a dress, or something.
I was confused. Did not watch with a lot of focus, but i was confused and still awaiting explanation, which did not happen.
Finally i have realized the boy in the dress is not the same boy, but another person, and maybe indeed a girl. I'm still not sure.

Anyone had the same experience?
Maybe that's a difficult topic. I notice a lot of rant from angry / right wing gamers about too many female protagonists in games, and they also complain about them being made ugly on purpose, and not skinned white.
That's not what i mean. I know half of players are female, and colors of skin vary around the globe. Games reflecting this is natural. No discussion needed.
But i share the impression modern characters very often do not look attractive but the opposite, independent of gender.
Why is this? I can only assume it's done, um, probably so average looking players can easily associate to average looking avatars?
I don't get it. When i was a teen, the game characters i've played looked like Arnold Schwarzenegger, and i had no problem with Arnie looking hotter than me.
Why is this different now? Why does it even go so far, i can no longer tell if it's a boy or a girl? I mean, that's worse than average.
When we make games, we try to make the gfx look good. This includes characters should look good too, at least some of them, no?
When i worked as artist in the music industry, they told me sex sells. And i had to draw hot bikini girls for some party album, for example.
If i would still do this, would they tell me 'No hot girls, please. Make them ugly. It sells better!', just because it's 2023 now?

If you dare, let me know what you think.
If i ever get back at making a game, this time with human characters, i would still make them look like Conan and Red Sonja, no matter what's the current fashion.
I think this sells better than potato head Star Wars hero or Horizon girl which looks like Captain Kirk with boobs.
But maybe i should not? Eastern games still do it, though.

The worst part is the comparison to PS4 Digital, though. $350 for a highly underpowered Series S or $400 for a full blown PS5? You'd have to be a fool to go with Series S unless you're just a desperate fan of some Xbox franchise entry.
1TB is nearly 25% more storage than is in any version of the PS5. While that doesn't translate 1:1 to useable space, and PS5 games can also be smaller in size, it's still a bullet point in the win column for Xbox if grandma is looking at the box and comparing. I also think it's more important that the digital only console have lots of storage, and I think 1TB might be enough for some people for the life of the console, while I would bet 512 is not off.

I talk about Fable, actually. This was my impression (i don't know any Fable game):
Then i saw the same boy in a girls fairytale dress. Wtf? I expected some joke to come.
But did not happen. They were serious about it - a boy in a girls dress, and everything seemed like normal.
Then suddenly the boy has shown up again again right beside, in his regular boy clothes. And he was huge. Kind of giant. It looked like the boy was fighting his miniature self in a dress, or something.
I was confused. Did not watch with a lot of focus, but i was confused and still awaiting explanation, which did not happen.
Finally i have realized the boy in the dress is not the same boy, but another person, and maybe indeed a girl. I'm still not sure.

Different people. One starts off as a guy talking about how Hero's are overrated and not needed anymore. The other is a girl who is a "hero".

Turns out the guy that is talking is the Giant from the "Jack and the Beanstalk" fable. In the fable, the Giant likes to eat Englishmen. So, the joke here is that the Giant who likes to eat humans is trying to do a PR piece about how he's actually a vegetarian. And heros are not needed anymore because he doesn't eat humans. Up comes the hero (the girl) and they are face to face at which point he exclaims, "Well, this is awkward." And then they fight.

Hope that helps clear it up. :)

Regards,
SB

Disappointed not to see anything from State of Decay 3. Three years with nothing to show doesn't look promising.

State of decay launched June 5th 2013,
State of decay 2 launched May 2018
MS bought them in 2018.

You have 5 years between games. I'd wager that once MS bought them they were given a bigger budget . We'd be at the 5 year mark now but with a bigger budget and scope and hiring up on the team I would think a 6 year cycle wouldn't be out of the question

1TB is nearly 25% more storage than is in any version of the PS5. While that doesn't translate 1:1 to useable space, and PS5 games can also be smaller in size, it's still a bullet point in the win column for Xbox if grandma is looking at the box and comparing. I also think it's more important that the digital only console have lots of storage, and I think 1TB might be enough for some people for the life of the console, while I would bet 512 is not off.

Xbox series S games can actually be the smallest editions of the games. The series s has less ram and runs at lowe resolutions do they don't need the same quality of texture

Star Wars Jedi Surviovr is 44GB on the S , 140 on the X and 147.577 on the ps5

So, Phil was wearing a Hexen shirt. And he likes to sneak in sneaky things to refer to future MS products.

What if iD Software or another team is making a new Hexen game? Ooooh, I'd be all in on that. I played a lot of that back in the day.

Regards,
SB

So, Phil was wearing a Hexen shirt. And he likes to sneak in sneaky things to refer to future MS products.

What if iD Software or another team is making a new Hexen game? Ooooh, I'd be all in on that. I played a lot of that back in the day.

Activision own the trademark. It obviously doesn't mean that MS couldn't partner with them in some way.

Technically Raven are part of Activision but they've been a COD house for the last decade. Would they even have what it takes to do a ground up Hexen reboot?

Maybe it'll just be an Xbox remaster release.

To be honest, they mostly had more new third party titles announced at the XBOX showcase compared to Playstation's with a few extra exlusives thrown in the mix.
To be fair, 3rd party titles being shown by microsoft are somewhat more relevant in this context than playstation because it normally means they are going to be on gamepass which is something worth knowing. Like when the payday 3 trailer started my first reaction was oh good it's going to gamepass.

My thoughts:
I'm old, these shows dont do it for me anymore. Standard disclaimer nowdays.

Starfield looked nice graphically, scale etc but honestly the No Mans Sky setting just screams procedurally generated planets and I'm just not a huge fan of that, which has been my problem with the game since the beginning. I far prefer hand tuned content. Plus, I feel like theres no way they had time to do the concept justice, without a 20 year dev cycle in todays age. That said, with like 3 big hand tuned planets and the rest just procedurally generated background, it's possible it could work I guess.

Dont even wanna get into the 30FPS faux controversy. Like 10 billion people didnt just buy TOTK and critics didnt love it. The response was "well Switch is 10 year old mobile hardware and doesnt have 60 FPS standard" and my reply is so, what does any of that have to to do with millions of players and critics enjoying a 30 FPS game just fine? Sigh.

Forza looked great as expected. I'm not exactly a huge racing sim fan, but the visuals mostly impressed as expected. Playground seems one of the few Microsoft devs that really push Xbox hardware consistently. Excited to see more on the 13th.

Avowed well, I havent kept up with this one and just skimmed the trailer. Looked...low budget?

Saw there was a Fable trailer, didn't bother since it's not gameplay.

Sennua, never have cared too much but I'll look at the visuals. Skimmed that trailer didn't notice much.

Pretty disappointed with the hardware announcement. Thought there was gonna be a Starfield themed console? And Xbox getting pasted in sales WW, IMO needed a total hardware rejigger, Maybe a 349 Xbox series X DE or something, and what we get is a 349 (??? Not even 299??) Series S 1TB? Seriously? I was shocked at first, but the internet didnt even seem to notice so whatever. I'll say it's just more proof what a bad idea the S was because why wouldn't you spend just 50, or 14% more and get 2X more powerful PS5 DE? You would. The whole concept of the S was always rubbish because a slightly smaller SOC saves bubkiss in the end as we see with this pricing. AND it only gets worse the longer then gen goes because the full fat consoles will always have more room to come down in price than the S. But seriously, where is the X DE? The PS5 DE sells great. This pricing shows Phil thinks the S IS the X De, as there's no way a X DE can exist now because at 399 it would just embarrass the S. Just sadly deeply misguided. At least Phil said they are increasing X production/supply (good idea since you know, people actually want that one)

Not sure if I've ever mentioned I'm not a S fan :p

You dont actually get the full 1TB on Xbox, either. Actual real use difference is PS5: 667GB, Xbox: 802GB. So about a 20% advantage, which really isn't that much. This and a $50 discount is not nearly a big enough selling point to justify a heavily watered down Series S over a full blown next gen console, especially the one with the arguably better game library...

But yes, if grandmas were the main target market for these systems, you might be right. I'm no market expert, but I suspect that's not actually the case, though...

Avowed well, I havent kept up with this one and just skimmed the trailer. Looked...low budget?
Gotta admit I'm a tad disappointed with it as well. I know Obsidian have never been known for their incredible presentation values necessarily and that's not why people play their games, but still, even artistically I'm not loving it. It's still using a similar sort of garish color scheme as Outer Worlds did, which I wasn't a fan of at all. Just looks disjointed and cartoonish(in a bad way). After the original CGI trailer, I was kind of expecting a darker, grittier tone. I really wanted like Elder Scrolls, but darker/more mature-themed. So yea, my expectations definitely led me to disappointment here.

That said, it'll hopefully still be a great game. Maybe the MS money isn't gonna lead to some graphically impressive game, but everything surrounding it could still be good.

Also, I think the general idea behind the Series S made plenty of sense, they just skimped a little too much on the memory quantity and bandwidth. If it was a console that really was just 'same as full scale next gen games, just with lower resolution' and that was it, then yes, that works. But it's clear by now that developers are having to put more effort to scale games back for it than this. And that's not good and I cant imagine developers appreciate having to do this extra work on top of how much time and work these games require already these days. They really did not need more on their plate like that.

To be fair, 3rd party titles being shown by microsoft are somewhat more relevant in this context than playstation because it normally means they are going to be on gamepass which is something worth knowing. Like when the payday 3 trailer started my first reaction was oh good it's going to gamepass.
I dont see why Gamepass should be a reason for third party titles to be less relevant for other platforms.

Starfield presentation was fire and probably oversells somet aspect of it but I was always Day one with far less on paper
Otherwise lack of gameplay: the show (bis)... the palm being hellblade 2.
It’s a C for me for Could do better to give confidence there is substance behind what is show
The future of xbox at least remaing intriguing to me in term of novelty
Also There is hope few of these titles are gaas

Anyone had the same experience?
Maybe that's a difficult topic. I notice a lot of rant from angry / right wing gamers about too many female protagonists in games, and they also complain about them being made ugly on purpose, and not skinned white.
That's not what i mean. I know half of players are female, and colors of skin vary around the globe. Games reflecting this is natural. No discussion needed.
But i share the impression modern characters very often do not look attractive but the opposite, independent of gender.
Why is this? I can only assume it's done, um, probably so average looking players can easily associate to average looking avatars?
I don't get it. When i was a teen, the game characters i've played looked like Arnold Schwarzenegger, and i had no problem with Arnie looking hotter than me.
Why is this different now? Why does it even go so far, i can no longer tell if it's a boy or a girl? I mean, that's worse than average.
When we make games, we try to make the gfx look good. This includes characters should look good too, at least some of them, no?
When i worked as artist in the music industry, they told me sex sells. And i had to draw hot bikini girls for some party album, for example.
If i would still do this, would they tell me 'No hot girls, please. Make them ugly. It sells better!', just because it's 2023 now?

If you dare, let me know what you think.
If i ever get back at making a game, this time with human characters, i would still make them look like Conan and Red Sonja, no matter what's the current fashion.
I think this sells better than potato head Star Wars hero or Horizon girl which looks like Captain Kirk with boobs.
But maybe i should not? Eastern games still do it, though.

The two characters look and speak very differently to me. The hero character isn’t hollywood pretty (like most ppl) but that by itself shouldn’t be an issue. Hollywood isn’t all pretty anymore either in the classic sense. The cast of Stranger Things won’t be winning any pageants for example.

My first reaction to the hero was that she didn’t look like a real person. The combination of facial structure, complexion and hair texture almost seemed too exotic. Granted, exotic is perfectly fine in a game named Fable. The giant character was far more normal looking.

Back