All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2021 Edition]

As you say yourself, both are stock limited and likely sold as much as the companies made. All this is really telling me is Sony made more PS5s than MS made Xboxes! If MS had made more XBs, they'd probably be in the lead. ;)

To be pedantic, it's not entirely about how many were made, but how many were in the retail channels. We don't have any official numbers on how many Xbox Series X were made but used in datacenters for Cloud gaming.

To be pedantic, it's not entirely about how many were made, but how many were in the retail channels. We don't have any official numbers on how many Xbox Series X were made but used in datacenters for Cloud gaming.
Nothing official, but it's not going to be millions judging from total game pass numbers. I imagine cloud usage is a small fraction.

Nothing official, but it's not going to be millions judging from total game pass numbers. I imagine cloud usage is a small fraction.
That won't tell you the investment MS is currently making.
They need to populate those data centres not only for current usage, but future in lots a different territories.

MS has made it a point to push the xcloud narrative as well as GP.

That won't tell you the investment MS is currently making.
They need to populate those data centres not only for current usage, but future in lots a different territories.

MS has made it a point to push the xcloud narrative as well as GP.

I doubt they would want to get too far ahead of actual engagement numbers for cloud, it's not a productive use of resources.

I doubt they would want to get too far ahead of actual engagement numbers for cloud, it's not a productive use of resources.
You have to have a minimum number in data center to even make it available in a region.

It's also seen as an investment.
So need it when the app is available on tv, streaming stick/box etc also.

I have no idea how many blades they need, as to replace the 1S, and expand and roll out to other regions. But I'm sure it's not inconsequential. Especially when parts are constrained as it is.

MS themselves expected the XSX to outsell the XSS early on, yet they've not been able to produce a huge amount more than the XSS. So any that are diverted is impactful I would say.
We also may have different views on what's impactful to be fair. :D

Last edited:
If MS can maintain things with Sony at 1.5x they'll have done really well, as they were about 2.3x last generation (Sony 117 mil vs. Xbox 51 mil according to estimates).

Assuming a 20% jump in the size of the market due to growth + globalization, that would put the numbers at Sony 120 million vs. Xbox 80 million by the end of the generation. MS would be thrilled with those numbers.

What I'm seeing anecdotally is that PS4 people are sticking with PS5 and Xbox One people are sticking with Xbox Series. Especially in the mostly digital purchasing circles I hang out in. :)

People don't want to switch really. They are invested in the ecosystems. MS has stopped the bleeding at least. There is some churn in the market where new kids come in and some older folk give up gaming and the chip shortages are giving MS an opportunity, but it's difficult for them to steal Sony players. That's one of the reasons they are pushing PC, xCloud etc... as they can gain GP subscribers without selling new consoles.

What I'm seeing anecdotally is that PS4 people are sticking with PS5 and Xbox One people are sticking with Xbox Series. Especially in the mostly digital purchasing circles I hang out in. :)
At the moment with the limited availability, present market landscape isn't really indicative of anything. There isn't much choice in platform and you have to be dedicated to the platform you want in order to be able to get one, so sales by this point are largely the most loyal fans. The general populace will be 'wait and see' leaving the platform fans and hardcore, dual-wielding gamers with the one/two boxes they care for. These numbers can't be extrapolated at all for the generation and we need to wait until either there's general availability and gamers are free to pop into a shop and choose what they want, or one machine can ramp up production over the other and just sell to neutral gamers happy to have whatever option is actually available.

You have to have a minimum number in data center to even make it available in a region.

It's also seen as an investment.
So need it when the app is available on tv, streaming stick/box etc also.

I have no idea how many blades they need, as to replace the 1S, and expand and roll out to other regions. But I'm sure it's not inconsequential. Especially when parts are constrained as it is.

MS themselves expected the XSX to outsell the XSS early on, yet they've not been able to produce a huge amount more than the XSS. So any that are diverted is impactful I would say.
We also may have different views on what's impactful to be fair. :D

Over serving xcloud won't benefit them at all, there is no point in getting ahead of that market. It should be relatively simple to scale. Xcloud is available in only 26 countries.

Do you think 5% is a lot? I'd be shocked if it were that high.

Yea, I'm not sure I quite believe those numbers, but if so, that would definitely be better than expected by me personally for MS.

Even if true, of course the reality of the situation is that PS5 does have far more demand, and stock issues are hitting it harder than MS. That said though, this is the perfect time for MS to capitalize on that and not allow Sony to pull even further ahead.
The reality is that you can always do things to boost demand. Add in games or game pass or an extra controller or even just having a stream of exciting games coming to the platform. But the fact remains xbox series x still sells out as soon as they come in. The series s is also selling very well

Why is it surprising?
last gen ps was 2.2-2.5 times xbox with the better hardware (at the start) and better games, no mixed messaging, no kinect etc
now hardware this time is much closer and MS have gamepass

add in they cant manufacture enuf (otherwise it would prolly would be 2:1) I have no trouble believing sony is only 1.5 x ahead

btw series S are still selling at discounted price here (been now over a month selling at 30 euros discount)
https://www.mediamarkt.es/es/category/consolas-xbox-series-x-y-s-8432.html

The series x is the same price as the disc version of the ps5 instead of $100 more which helps. They then have the series s which is $100-200 cheaper than the ps5 depending on model. They also seem to have a slew of titles coming exclusively to pc and xbox and releases will pick up into 2022.

IT is vastly different than last gen. I jsut figured it would take longer for things to equalize

As many ppl have said before, just typed into the inflation calculator for USA and got

$300 in 2000 is worth $484.23 today

hmmm more than I though, I would of guessed $400, but there you go folks, you're effectively buying today for the asme price as the ps2 was at launch
Inflation should hit 10% in the UK this year. Imagine.

Stock X prices have plummeted post holiday. PS5 at $625, Series X at $573.

Really not much excuse to not have a current gen console if you really want it imo.

Also Ps5 outsold Series 10:1 in India. There goes one of the biggest sales argument for the Series S basically.

Disclaimer: IFFFF numbers valid, I have not looked into it

https://www.gamepur.com/news/playst...d-xbox-series-x-s-by-10-to-1-in-india-in-2021

The report claims 60k PS5 sales in India meaning 6k Series. Very small numbers all around.

When numbers are this small I often wonder if it's mostly ex pat westerners buying them. same thing I wonder for most Xbox sales in Japan lol (combined with US military bases there).

If we have any Indian members, I'd be interested to hear if the gaming situation there has changed much since this small documentary was done several years ago.

The last two and a half minutes would seem to tell the whole story of gaming purchases in the Indian market.
But the situation might have changed drastically since then.
If nothing else, it's an interesting video.

same thing I wonder for most Xbox sales in Japan lol (combined with US military bases there).

Anything sold through a military exchange (store) is considered a US sale. Most military personnel would probably be buying their console at the base exchange as most aren't fluent in the language of the country they are in. Hence, the UK would be the lone exception where the national language is also English. Depending on the country, prices at the base exchange are likely also cheaper than off base. No taxes combined with US pricing. Back when I lived on military bases, products were also sold at cost + minimal markup for store maintenance. Not sure if that's still the case.

Regards,
SB

Yikes, what is wrong with Sony, having +10 million sales for a single brand new title yet not going ahead with a sequel?

Sony studio heads seem to lean heavily on social media game metrics (on judging success) relating to amount of game awards won, positive reviews, very few issues at launch (i.e., bugs), and positive social media engagement.

While Days Gone is a good game, the mixed reviews early on as being another zombie game, wasn't something Sony wanted to hear or see surrounding a first party studio title. Sadly, there is sort of a gladiator type of mentality that Sony tends to foster amongst its first party studios.

Last edited:
Yikes, what is wrong with Sony, having +10 million sales for a single brand new title yet not going ahead with a sequel?

Like TV shows - nobody mention Firefly - three metrics are important: budget, expectation and reception. If those don't chime, the chances of a new IP getting a second chance to wow is pretty slim. In its 2019 launch year Days Gone was the "19th-best-selling game of 2019 in the US" according to Wikipedia. The game was in development for six years during which the studio grew to three times its original size. I imagine it was not cheap to develop.

If you're a Sony first party studio making what is clearly an expensive game with massive scope, expectations and reception are going to be the same wheelhouse as other Sony first party studio releases delivering this calibre of game: Uncharted, God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn. The Last of Us, Gran Turismo, Ghost of Tsushima, Infamous, Ratchet & Clank.

And I can't help but think that part of Days Gone 2 not being green lit is the over saturation of post-apocalypse crafting zombie-like survival games.

Back