Sony PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2)

so leaks were 100% corrent, on psvr1 games were rendered at 60fps and interpolated to 120fps for 120hz display, wonder if its possible to do 45fps games and interpolate to 90fps as 90hz is possibility now with still feeling smooth enough for vr

so leaks were 100% corrent, on psvr1 games were rendered at 60fps and interpolated to 120fps for 120hz display, wonder if its possible to do 45fps games and interpolate to 90fps as 90hz is possibility now with still feeling smooth enough for vr

Oculus released a new dev tech for quest. Devs can target 36fps and the software will interpolate to 72fps. Freeing a lot of ressources.

https://uploadvr.com/quest-2-application-spacewarp/

Reactions: snc
No battery. No built in soc. They might go for an agressive price under 300

300 would be my guess too … but with the current hardware I hope they can manage. If I look at it now I’d say $399, but if I were marketing I’d say build hardware that we can sell for $299 or less.

Why would they need to price it aggressively if it's required to use VR games on PS5? It's not as though you can plug in a competing headset, can you?

Hands down the most exciting thing this gen so far. Eye tracking is fantastic news.

I was bummed that Kinect 2 got almost no meaningful support as it offered so many ways to communicate naturally with AIs. PSVR 2 sounds phenomenal. Any news on whether this thing detect your pulse?

Haven't bought a (current gen) console in something like a decade. This could be what does it. I really hope it works well with crappy eyesight / glasses!

I wonder about the viability of this in a Quest 2 world.

Facebook treats Oculus as a platform, will Sony do the same or is it going to be treated as a peripheral? Being that it needs a Ps5 to work, it's going to be the latter.
Psvr is great, is fun, I love mine and I can wax philosophically about playing Superhot and Astrobot for the first time.

However, my oculus quest 2 was my Super Mario 64 moment in VR however. With psvr1, you are constantly reminded that you are tethered, can't get too close to the camera, too far from the camera, sometimes tripping over cords. Being wired is going to give some people pause. I thought it before and I'm seeing people on other sites back up that notion. I'm not stressing on the seemingly absent backwards compatibility here but the ability to go roomscale and then just play, unencumbered by a cord is something else entirely. I'm there day one but that doesn't mean that I don't have reservations. I'm content with this being an expensive niche product but how niche is my question. In fact, it's my only question but it will ultimately get answered long after I buy one.
Going from PSVR1 to Quest 2 will definitely feel like a monstrous leap in terms of freedom.

But PSVR1 was *particularly* limiting. As you say, the camera tracking had a very small usable area that required a player to stay within. There were significant occlusion issues with motion controller tracking if you started to turn your body at all. And you had two cables that were dangling from you. The PSVR2 situation should be a lot better, even if it's not as completely freeing as total wireless.

As for what you're 'seeing people on other sites' say, people are highly reactionary. The capabilities here are pretty incredible and I think once people see what kind of experiences will be made possible, or at least word gets out from hands-on impressions, they're gonna be a lot more interested. If not, I doubt they cared much about VR in general. I'm glad Sony did not try and compromise anything for wireless, which had the potential to add more complications and cost into the mix. Quest 2 is only wireless thanks to its all-in-one processing, while PSVR2 needs to run off the PS5. I know Quest 2 can do wireless linking with PC, but it's a flawed situation and not something that will reliably work for people.

The only thing I'm disappointed by is lack of onboard audio. Especially being Sony, I expected them to address this. Everything else looks amazing. HDR is a huge deal for VR. Eye tracking + foveated rendering is a game changer. And Dualsense features on VR controllers are the perfect match.

Going from PSVR1 to Quest 2 will definitely feel like a monstrous leap in terms of freedom.

But PSVR1 was *particularly* limiting. As you say, the camera tracking had a very small usable area that required a player to stay within. There were significant occlusion issues with motion controller tracking if you started to turn your body at all. And you had two cables that were dangling from you. The PSVR2 situation should be a lot better, even if it's not as completely freeing as total wireless.

As for what you're 'seeing people on other sites' say, people are highly reactionary. The capabilities here are pretty incredible and I think once people see what kind of experiences will be made possible, or at least word gets out from hands-on impressions, they're gonna be a lot more interested. If not, I doubt they cared much about VR in general. I'm glad Sony did not try and compromise anything for wireless, which had the potential to add more complications and cost into the mix. Quest 2 is only wireless thanks to its all-in-one processing, while PSVR2 needs to run off the PS5. I know Quest 2 can do wireless linking with PC, but it's a flawed situation and not something that will reliably work for people.

The only thing I'm disappointed by is lack of onboard audio. Especially being Sony, I expected them to address this. Everything else looks amazing. HDR is a huge deal for VR. Eye tracking + foveated rendering is a game changer. And Dualsense features on VR controllers are the perfect match.

Place ps camera up high near the ceiling, looking down on you. The tracking area became waaaay wider and works 360 degrees for most games. Far point vr with this setup is really good.

With psvr2 inside out tracking, this weird camera position won't be needed.

quest 2 costs 300 dollars with controllers, and 128gb memory.
I'm sure Sony can pull a 300 or less for PSVR2, especially if they want to sell a lot more than PSVR1

eye tracking foveated rendering, 4k hdr (hdr first time in vr ?) oled, haptick feedback controlers + also haptick on headset, can't see it below 400$

eye tracking foveated rendering, 4k hdr (hdr first time in vr ?) oled, haptick feedback controlers + also haptick on headset, can't see it below 400$

It sounds impressive but your going to see all the headsets have this during 2022.

Remember the quest 2 has 1832x1920 per eye resolution already with 72,90hz modes and is already over a year old. It also launched at $400. So I'd surely hope that Sony has this at $400 or under. I expect a new quest this fall and maybe the index 2 this year or early next year (it will be 3 years old at this point) also a new hp headset.

Back