Sony PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2)

I like the 110 degree FoV. It should be a lot more immersive. The haptic feedback and eye tracking is cool too while the OLED displays at 2000x2040 per eye is great.

I wonder about the viability of this in a Quest 2 world.

Facebook treats Oculus as a platform, will Sony do the same or is it going to be treated as a peripheral? Being that it needs a Ps5 to work, it's going to be the latter.
Psvr is great, is fun, I love mine and I can wax philosophically about playing Superhot and Astrobot for the first time.

However, my oculus quest 2 was my Super Mario 64 moment in VR however. With psvr1, you are constantly reminded that you are tethered, can't get too close to the camera, too far from the camera, sometimes tripping over cords. Being wired is going to give some people pause. I thought it before and I'm seeing people on other sites back up that notion. I'm not stressing on the seemingly absent backwards compatibility here but the ability to go roomscale and then just play, unencumbered by a cord is something else entirely. I'm there day one but that doesn't mean that I don't have reservations. I'm content with this being an expensive niche product but how niche is my question. In fact, it's my only question but it will ultimately get answered long after I buy one.

Any information on whether Sony will implement a "cross-gen" PSVR policy, similar to PS4 and PS5, where games will work on PS4+PSVR and PS5+PSVR2?

i guess psvr1 games will need patching to work on PSVR2 as the PSVR2 will not use the camera and may not have tracking lights on the headset.

I wonder about the viability of this in a Quest 2 world.

Facebook treats Oculus as a platform, will Sony do the same or is it going to be treated as a peripheral? Being that it needs a Ps5 to work, it's going to be the latter.
Psvr is great, is fun, I love mine and I can wax philosophically about playing Superhot and Astrobot for the first time.

However, my oculus quest 2 was my Super Mario 64 moment in VR however. With psvr1, you are constantly reminded that you are tethered, can't get too close to the camera, too far from the camera, sometimes tripping over cords. Being wired is going to give some people pause. I thought it before and I'm seeing people on other sites back up that notion. I'm not stressing on the seemingly absent backwards compatibility here but the ability to go roomscale and then just play, unencumbered by a cord is something else entirely. I'm there day one but that doesn't mean that I don't have reservations. I'm content with this being an expensive niche product but how niche is my question. In fact, it's my only question but it will ultimately get answered long after I buy one.
I am not sure if it was shown but does the PSVR2 have wires?

No mention of foveated rendering. Is that a possibility, or is the eye tracking response too slow?

Hope the IPD adjustments are solid and will allow me to try VR for realz this time! :D

Mmm… sold my psvr because it made me so sick I just couldn’t use it. How do I know if this will happen with the new one?

You don’t. What games did you try? If you got sick using simple standing games like beat saber, you probably have some (unknown to you?) eye defect. Of course there is a slight bit of getting used to but Beat Saber or for instance SuperHot will generally not get anyone sick even on first try.

But games where the world moves around you when you do nothing can make anyone sick. I can especially not stand sideways (strafe like) movement, say if I was in a Mech that stepped sideways.

Oh and I am super excited! That seems a great step up in display quality even over the Quest and everything else is also really promising.

Images of the controllers but not the headset? This is the PS5 reveal all over again. :p I'll be interested to see how much it costs and how soon until someone manages to make it work with the PC.

Really glad that it appears they have a physical IPD adjustment now.

Regards,
SB

The specs look great. I love my PSVR but it's let down slightly by the low-res screen, the temperamental and imprecise Move controllers and that chunky cable tethering the headset to the breakout box.

It looks like Sony have sorted the screen and the controllers out, so hopefully they'll find a way to tether the headset using a USB-C connector - perhaps that port on the front of the PS5. Perhaps there is more to it than meets the eye.

No mention of foveated rendering. Is that a possibility, or is the eye tracking response too slow?

Hope the IPD adjustments are solid and will allow me to try VR for realz this time! :D
Support for foveated rendering is mentioned in both the Playstation blog and the CES presentation ;) (around the 2:55 mark)

Mmm… sold my psvr because it made me so sick I just couldn’t use it. How do I know if this will happen with the new one?
Just asking for a friend, can you sell anything that makes you sick, including people?

On topic, maybe the higher resolution/better head tracking in PSVR2 will help.

hopefully they'll find a way to tether the headset using a USB-C connector - perhaps that port on the front of the PS5.

They've said it's single USB C cable. Using the front port seems like a given and as neat as you can hope for from a wired solution I feel.

A wireless solution would be nice, but there's no way they could make that affordable. I'd still hope they release a wireless puck for those who want to pay for the privilege.

Back