[Alpha Point] - UE5 Tech Demo for Xbox Series X|S

My initial though was lower res = more details to reconstruct = more expensive
Reconstruction does not really cost more as the pixel are fetched from the prior frames. Therefore the precision is much lower.
But with more pixels to process more must be checked from the original to get the right pixels.

It seems like Epic is going to pivot Lumen away from its software mode to a dedicated HWRT mode different than the one in the EA version to accelerate performance and quality - interesting development!
Yes, hopefully that's what they mean when they are saying they want to implement HW-RT to accelerate quality and especially performance. Though it also can be interpreted as VRS, shader improvements and async compute accelerate performance and HW-RT improves quality a little (which is basically what we have now with Lumen in the EA version)

It seems like Epic is going to pivot Lumen away from its software mode to a dedicated HWRT mode different than the one in the EA version to accelerate performance and quality - interesting development!
Question is, if this brings any improvement to the consoles, because their Lumen implementation so far might be really nice, but RT is a whole other story. At best they won't loose much additional performance and get lumen more precise. But console hardware is really limited here.
But I'm more concerned about RT reflections and nanite. Nanite is really nice (even with it's limitations) but if there are reflections in the scene, that show even more nanite structures ....

Not really the impression I got from that quote. They seem to expect further optimizations for use of hardware ray tracing, but that's not the same as saying the engine as a whole is 'pivoting away from' Lumen as a software lighting model. Especially in the context of them talking about their own specific hardware as a 1st party studio. It also could also just mean entirely optional use, where software-based Lumen might still be viable or a better option for a game with its own specific graphics budgeting and all that, but they still expect hardware RT to be improved for those who want to use it.

Just saying, I'd be careful jumping to conclusions based off a very non-specific statement like that.

Good talk, all of the performance numbers sound great. Not sure if I missed it the first time around, but the volumetric texture painting workflow sounds very smart!

This is great and he gives an hint of how to reach 60 fps with UE5 game reduce Lumen from Epic settings to high settings.

This is great and he gives an hint of how to reach 60 fps with UE5 game reduce Lumen from Epic settings to high settings.

Thought it was a little more than that. Not wanting to paraphrase too much, but wasn't the comment something like "We're confident we can make a great looking 60fps game on X|S".

Thought it was a little more than that. Not wanting to paraphrase too much, but wasn't the comment something like "We're confident we can make a great looking 60fps game on X|S".

Probably but it is one of the settings to go down and this is logical Lumen is by far the most heavy features of UE5. Brian Karis told for example Nanite is 60 fps ready since long time. He said it for the first UE5 demo on PS5.

Last edited:
Probably but it is one of the settings to go down and this is logical Lumen is bay far the most heavy features of UE5. Brian Karis told for example Nanite is 60 fps ready since long time. He said it for the first UE5 demo on PS5.

I felt Colin's comments were a nice retort to the UE5 60fps angst we see. Brian's comment left questions floating about as to how Lumen would be used in 60fps games.

Back