Xbox Series S [XBSS] (Lockhart) General Rumors and Speculation *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we think it's going to be 5*2GB or mixed capacity again? What are the bandwidth implications of various options? Given that they are only doing base Xbox One BC on Lockhart, I guess they didn't need to match the 12GB of the XboneX.

I personally would have felt better about 12, though, from a "what ways might XboxSX games be limited by Lockhart's existence" perspective. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that that number was arrived at after careful consideration and it won't be an issue, though. Time will tell.

So.... let's assume 14Gbps because they'll be buying in bulk for both SKUs, ergo:

192-bit @ 336GB/s
4x2GB + 2x1GB = 10GB, 6 chips x 32-bit
6GB @ 192-bit, 4GB @128-bit
Requires similarly split pool considerations after the OS reservation. (bad imo)

160-bit @280GB/s
5x2GB = 10GB, 5 chips x 32-bit

128-bit @ 224GB/s
6x1GB + 2x2GB, 8 chips x "16-bit" clamshell
8GB @ 128-bit, 2GB @ 32-bit
Devs only have to worry about <8GB down from SX's 13.5GB
In the future it can reduce to 4 chips without clamshell (1x4GB + 3x2GB)

------

Knowing the 4TF target though, I don't imagine they would have gone particularly wide in the first place sooooooooo.........

Last edited:
I fairly confident it can't. Everything we've seen points to the XBSX having two BC modes (XBOne and XBOneX) and Lockhart only having one.
Thanks.
Have to admit I've not followed any of those types of leaks. Always assume there fake and don't remember it being discussed here.

Don't know, but it makes sense from a product segregation standpoint.

One/OneS users upgrade to Lockhart
OneX users upgrade to Anaconda

Gotta pay for the premium experience. (duh!)

It remains to be seen if they'll similarly enhance BC ala unpatched XO games running with AF on Scorpio, but there'd be a lot of performance headroom left-over when running One/S games on Lockhart. i.e. unpatched XO games running on Scorpio get up to 16xAF on 3TF (half the GPU), which IMO should be how it's done on Lockhart's 4TF.

Last edited:
Gotta pay for the premium experience. (duh!)
And xsx would be the premium experience.
Even when running BC unpatched games. Lockhart wouldn't get the framerate doubling, higher resolutions, etc.

Lockhart is replacing the 1X, for few years it's the middle tier of the xbox line up, as well as being budget entry into next gen.

Lockhart not having X1X BC mode would kill the value of it for me in a way. Also the "product segmentation" argument doesn't really make sense because even XSX will have to include both BC modes as not all games have X1X patches....so why not just have the same implementation for Lockhart?

It's more about users paying more for high end features that naturally carries over to the higher end SKU.

so why not just have the same implementation for Lockhart?

Because that increases the BOM (RAM). I don't like reality sometimes either!

It's more about users paying more for high end features that naturally carries over to the higher end SKU.

Their entire Xbox business strategy over the last few years has been to offer the most amount of features to users though. So the only reason I see it not being their would be because it's technically not possible.

What exactly in the GitHub leaks mentioned only one BC profile for Lockhart? I don't even remember much about Lockhart in those leaks..

Lockhart not having X1X BC mode would kill the value of it for me in a way. Also the "product segmentation" argument doesn't really make sense because even XSX will have to include both BC modes as not all games have X1X patches....so why not just have the same implementation for Lockhart?
There's not a lot they can do about it unless they want to add $10-$20 to the BOM per console for a feature most S users won't miss.

I was just mulling over again how much space they'll save with 5-6 memory chips and a half sized SOC. That's easily 3cm shaved off the board. I don't know why I find small consoles so pleasing. :D

View attachment 4158

UhoLE4t.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back