Gran Turismo Sport [PS4]

GTS trees, including their shaders and lighting are much more convincing in portraying a realistic dense forest than Driveclub's imo. The differences are especially noticeable during daytime scenes and in flyby cameras.

eakqwm.png

qdwubs.png

kexpcd.png

XATtoQD.jpg

Now I am really, really interested what a current-gen game would look like to Shifty Geezer :p

GT6 came out almost 4 years ago, the platform on which it ran more than 10 years ago. It's your opinion that the scenery looks last-gen (PS3?) and extremely weak. Would you have an example of a racing game that has current-gen scenery?
One argument at a time. You cited real life as looking just as lame as GTS, justifying GTS looking weak because actually 'it looks as good as real life.' If you are willing to accept that GTS doesn't look anything like as good as that RL video you posted, then we can entertain a discussion about how and why and how things can or can't be improved. If you can't see the difference then there's no discussion to be had.

GTS trees, including their shaders and lighting are much more convincing in portraying a realistic dense forest than Driveclub's imo. The differences are especially noticeable during daytime scenes and in flyby cameras.

kexpcd.png
This one's pretty good. Exception to the norm though from what little I've seen.

This one's not good!

There are other far better lighting examples in GTS. This one does a good job on the trees.
GT-Sport-Brands_Hatch_GP_Gr1_02.jpg

We might be seeing the same varied quality we've seen in previous GTs, with a mix of current-level assets and a load of recycled previous assets?

In real life, a 'barren', wide track with not many trackside buildings/details, boring structures and fences, with overcast weather; no big or sharp shadows being cast, no high contrast, will always look lame and flat; as evidenced in the video. The best graphics in the world, even if processing power would increase a billion times, would look at best, as lame and dull as the real life video posted. Or most real life videos at that, even from the racing/ driver view perspective.

As a result, for now, GTS looks at it's weakest when it is emulating the video posted. I agree with "last-gen", although I believe real life has a last-gen aesthetic to it as well.

Unless you want to argue that the individual trees have no tessellation and that individual strands of grass are not modelled

This one's pretty good. Exception to the norm though from what little I've seen.

This one's not good!

There are other far better lighting examples in GTS. This one does a good job on the trees.

We might be seeing the same varied quality we've seen in previous GTs, with a mix of current-level assets and a load of recycled previous assets?
I understand what you are saying but quite often and since the PS1 days people were comparing GT's real life tracks or racing circuits with tracks in other racers which often involved forests and cityscapes to point out the game's "bland" track designs.
Even in this thread people posted examples of Drive Clubs majestic scenery with GT Sports real life track.
If we want to compare like for like to see what PD was actually achieving we can take Forza 4's and GT5's Nurburgring or any other real life track. In addition PD was aiming at higher resolution + dynamic lighting

Suddenly not only PD's work was meeting the standards but it also surpassed them considering everything else such as the lighting.

Now regarding GT Sport the Nurburgring appears reworked, as the roads appear smoother with less edges and trees are more detailed and interact properly with the lighting.

Forza 6's Nurburgring looks like this
GT Sports looks like this (see gameplay sections not replay)

Last edited:

This one's not good!

In all event we saw the ring it is probably near final state probably not the case of other race.

The video in expo comes from the nurburing most of the time, are all other track aren't as good...

Last edited:

Those comparisons take me back... I was a fan of the Xbox 360, and as most, I automatically would prefer Forza.
I was one day watching a comparison video between Forza4, GT5, and real-life. The video would switch between the platforms, sometimes showing them side by side, other times, fullscreen. I was in awe looking at the real-life footage, thinking to myself: it will take years before we have this level of graphics in videogames. Then the video switched again to the real-life footage, but with slightly more camera shake and a different tint. I was completely shocked. I was unknowingly marvelling at GT5's 'Ring thinking it was real-life. Afterwards I preferred not looking at comparison videos, as you might expect from an Xbox fan :D

When Forza 5 comparisons out, I remember thinking: finally! overall Forza 5 looks much better! But that was essentially comparing 256MB of RAM vs 8096MB of RAM, I was such a fool.

In retro perspective, what they did with GT on PS3 was nothing short of amazing. If Forza 7 came out in 2018 had half of GT5's 2010 features, fans would be in awe and regard it as the most amazing and complete Forza title ever. I realise that now.
With GT finally having audio to match it's graphics, it's going to be amazing for racing fans (who have PS4 that is, otherwise, not so much)

In real life, a 'barren', wide track with not many trackside buildings/details, boring structures and fences, with overcast weather; no big or sharp shadows being cast, no high contrast, will always look lame and flat; as evidenced in the video.
But it doesn't! the details and lighting make it look real. It's not about aesthetics but realism. GT is trying to be photorealistic and failing often in the scenery.

As a result, for now, GTS looks at it's weakest when it is emulating the video posted. I agree with "last-gen", although I believe real life has a last-gen aesthetic to it as well.
Real life with infinite detail and perfect global illumination has a last-gen aesthetic??

Unless you want to argue that the individual trees have no tessellation and that individual strands of grass are not modelled
The lighting and shading are terrible. The foliage is often utterly unrealistic and repetitive. It doesn't have to be rainbows and unicorns to look good as the aim is to look realistic so when you're playing the game, you feel more like your driving a real car and less like you're playing a video game.

this one:

there is not a lot of infinite detail and perfect global illumination in that video. Before you respond, I do understand that it was filmed from real-life, and by default it should have infinite detail and perfect global illumination, I am merely talking about the aesthetic.

If we want to compare like for like to see what PD was actually achieving we can take Forza 4's and GT5's Nurburgring or any other real life track. In addition PD was aiming at higher resolution + dynamic lighting
That's not what I'm doing. I'm not comparing GTS tracks to other racers, but GTS tracks to GTS's cars. The cars are close to photoreal but the track, certainly the ones I was initially responding to. Looking at more images, it may be, as I said before, some of the material is last gen assets of a WIP title.

this one:

there is not a lot of infinite detail and perfect global illumination in that video. Before you respond, I do understand that it was filmed from real-life, and by default it should have infinite detail and perfect global illumination, I am merely talking about the aesthetic.
You're not following the argument. That video looks real (because of the infinite detail and perfect global illumination). GTS doesn't. You may feel they look similar because of the content all being dull and grey and flatly shaded, but there are huge, very obvious differences.

Edit: I'll add that some of the content is looking much better, and I'm finding it hard to track down the particular examples that led me to my major criticisms for reference. GTS may well end up the best looking racer ever and fairly realistic in some spots.

Last edited:
The gameplay looks fine when played with actual sports cars. Road cars (especially slow ones)however look static and bit boring. Don't see a real reason to play it that way except in some online races. Visually it does look pretty good for now i don't expect much from damage/physiscs at that point.

I agree Technewsreader; I think that was GT's Achilles heel with all reviewers; most of them are often big noobs. They have limited time to review a game, and in GT the first hours were often spend with road cars, mostly cheap ones at that. Compare this to a Forza which has you driving the most expensive super cars if you are a reviewer, within the first hour, and you understand why GT was always a bit despised by reviewers

Btw I just realised how important this game is; it has the potential to be the first mainstream videogame e-sport. People all over the world love racing and nice cars. In every country GT:Sport could be a weekly tv show broadcasted to potentially millions, with live races commentated as if it was a live racing event, which it is.
Especially with the FIA certification, I believe they have really big plans for this videogame.
Most other games could not work on that scale; shooters or strategy games are too 'gamey' (and twitchy) to enjoy looking at as a (even interested) bystander, while racing is understood by everyone, even 2 year old children; give them 2 small racing cars, and they will have 1 in each hand, racing against each other. Even if the child never saw a race IRL, they understand racing competition

The internet is infested with videos from the Beta.

Sounds have improved massively

Needs some polishing in some areas

The "compare this to a Forza"-part?
"if you are a reviewer" refers to everything unlocked for the start or unlimited space bucks for unlocking everything.
I believed Forza had the better reviews always

Back