PS4 officially Jail Broken!

Steam OS has pretty crappy performance right now, but that may change with Vulkan. The option to play steam library on PS4 would be amazing. Sure, you might want to stick to the PS4 version of games for multi-platform, but everything else that's not available suddenly becoming an option is only a good thing.

CX5WuebWwAEejtu.png:large

Who said 3D drivers for the PS4 wouldn't happen any time soon?

https://twitter.com/fail0verflow/status/684079550943354880

Steam OS has pretty crappy performance right now, but that may change with Vulkan. The option to play steam library on PS4 would be amazing.
It would but it's not your Steam library it's the tiny proportion of your Steam library that runs on Steam OS.

For me that's a few indie games.

There's a game called DOTA2. I've heard a lot of people play it.
I don't! So for me, it's still a few indie games! :yes:

edit: and just to be clear, I'm not claiming there aren't any games or even that there aren't popular games, I'm saying that in terms of Steam's entire library, support is relatively limited. Currently 1,491 games are confirmed to work. You'll find some bigger games (like Saints Row IV) but if you enjoy AAA games like GTA V, The Witcher 3, Metal Gear V, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, Battlefront or Fallout 4 then you're likely to be limited by Steam OS.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me that's a few indie games.

And Half Life 3. j/k

Well SteamOS also brings In-Home Streaming. If they get that working flawlessly on the PS4, along with a decent media player, then I'd find little reason to keep an HTPC.

CPU performance must be pretty crappy for current DX9/DX11 games, but for future titles made with Vulkan and DX12 from the ground up, those 8 Jaguar cores could be really capable.

Steam OS has pretty crappy performance right now, but that may change with Vulkan. The option to play steam library on PS4 would be amazing. Sure, you might want to stick to the PS4 version of games for multi-platform, but everything else that's not available suddenly becoming an option is only a good thing.
Man I would love that, I have a desktop but it's in my study room and don't want to have it around in my living room. Yet sometimes I would like to play some steam games and as such it'd be an amazing feature to have.......were it not for the fact that it'd mean I won't be able to use my PS4 normally anymore. Because Sony most certainly won't allow me to go online with it and play my PS4 games even if they are legit copies.

]Well SteamOS also brings In-Home Streaming. If they get that working flawlessly on the PS4, along with a decent media player, then I'd find little reason to keep an HTPC

I'm not sure I'd want to be switching between the PS4 OS and SteamOS. I like that the PS4 OS is always on in low power, updating games. Plus you're going to lose the benefits of PS4's suspend and resume because that's not persistent once the PS4 OS is shutdown. If your plan is to use the DualShock 4 with both operating systems you may also find yourself having to re-pair them after each switch - how many concurrent systems can a DS4 support?

I think there's probably a lot of little niggles that will make this a less than desirable setup.

I'm not sure I'd want to be switching between the PS4 OS and SteamOS. I like that the PS4 OS is always on in low power, updating games. Plus you're going to lose the benefits of PS4's suspend and resume because that's not persistent once the PS4 OS is shutdown.

You could just come back to the PS4 OS after doing whatever you need to do on Steam OS, and the former's functionality would resume.

You could just come back to the PS4 OS after doing whatever you need to do on Steam OS, and the former's functionality would resume.

I'm assuming you don't have Kodi recording live TV from a tuner? I do which means I couldn't game on PS4 any time when my media centre was recording. For me only being able to have my PS4 or my media centre active at any one time would be a deal breaker.

I think this is the trick. Brower exploits (and webkit in particular) aren't uncommon but they tend to get patched fast and hoping for more exploits that dovetail with a crack in the kernal is optimistic - at least if Sony are serious about security.
The early firmware seems to have blocked a few exploits that were tried, but once a vector was found it seemed like the PS4 OS leaves a fair amount of information lying around (unencrypted NOR flash data), and at least the early firmware failed to block some of the restrictions to overwriting the interrupt vectors and allowing code in kernel mode to be fed addresses in user-controlled space that at least other variants of Linux block. The address space isn't randomized, and it was possible to infer the address for one of the system functions needed for the exploit by the known address of a neighboring function that Sony apparently has used across many platforms.

Perhaps that is easier for debugging, but if Sony left that much lying around, are we sure it suddenly got really security-conscious after all that?
Whatever TrustZone or security implementation Sony has does not seem to be stopping a full-blown kernel exploit and platform rooting.

Looking at this from Sony's perspective, I would imagine that unless installing an exploit is ultra simple and has no drawbacks (like not being able to update the firmware freely) then Sony wouldn't expect most PS4 users would bother. Particularly if the benefits of installing something like linux or another flavour or BSD aren't compelling.
Sony presents secure APIs and system functions to games and applications for some of its media functionality and content access. That might be the next thing to test, since there might not be an expectation that something unauthorized is probing from the kernel side now.
We might find out the contours of the PS4's secure domain. It's not protecting kernel, main memory, or the APU's resources, so is it down to the southbridge, storage encryption, and possibly I/O virtualization?

The address space isn't randomized, and it was possible to infer the address for one of the system functions needed for the exploit by the known address of a neighboring function that Sony apparently has used across many platforms.

I think you need to re-read it, they say it was reported to them [presumably by a third party] that ASLR wasn't present in early firmwares like 1.05 but that it was introduced prior to firmware 1.70. What wasn't enabled in firmwares up to 1.76 is kernel space ASLR and they don't comment on any later versions of the firmware.

Despite the team's optimism about exploits in later versions of the firmware, the fact they're still working with such an old version and haven't tried in exploiting later firmwares seems quite odd. The live firmware version is now 3.11 so their work on unearthing information about 1.76 is becoming increasingly irrelevant as the days past - it's really only of historic interest now.

Break a recent version of the firmware and tell us what Sony's changed - that would be far more interesting!

I think you need to re-read it, they say it was reported to them [presumably by a third party] that ASLR wasn't present in early firmwares like 1.05 but that it was introduced prior to firmware 1.70. What wasn't enabled in firmwares up to 1.76 is kernel space ASLR and they don't comment on any later versions of the firmware.
It is my fault for my imprecision, but I was writing in the context of the OS as revealed by the kernel exploit and the lack of kernel ASLR.
The firmware is old, but it is still something that Sony released into the wild, as a reflection of what they considered secure enough to ship.

Break a recent version of the firmware and tell us what Sony's changed - that would be far more interesting!
Having an older version of the platform may provide a decent leg up. As far as defense in-depth goes, the exploit got a reliable way to start probing the system and platform architecture for exploits that might not be discoverable in later firmware unless you already know what to look for.
Sony could have revamped everything, if that is consistent with the level of security consciousness one would expect from a group that also released the version that was exploited.

This predates suspend mode, which might have been interesting to poke around with to see how Sony handles it.

Looking through the linked material, it's not quite as you present it. "The COBRA USB PS4 game emulator which will make PS4 users be able to enable homebrew applications and may allow play non-copyrighted downloaded games on their PS4 system!" The custom firmware is interesting but one of the tweets says it's for older PS4s. I think FW3. That is more recent than the previous very-old FW targeting solutions though, so I guess PS4 is showing some chinks.

would prefer CFW that still alows all normal online PS4 capabilities. because i want to noclip in destiny and explore locked contents :D

if i have a PS3 i sould already able to do it though... but i dont hve a PS3 :(

Back