PS4 officially Jail Broken!

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
Update December 2015:

QyHdCB0.png

Does this mean proper PS2 emulation?

I heard that the PS4 has been hacked. Is that true?

Last edited:
Guys, ps4 already pirated. But no homebrews :(

Not exactly pirated, just game-shared. They clone the HD and install 2 profiles that have the games registered to them. I don't know if they have those profiles locked or not.

At least that's what I gathered from a quick 3 minute read.

So the interesting part of this 'hack' is not the cloning of the HD, but in the flashing of the NAND on the PS4 so the console thinks it's still the active primary console for the 2 accounts, despite it being deactivated.

Question is... the method seems to be easy do counter. Since the main account is cloned, that means simultaneous access using diferent PS4 consoles with the same account. And also using diferent IPs. So I don´t see why cloned consoles cannot be blocked.

That'd block it from online. To stop machines getting cloned you'd need an internet check when accessing content.

Yeah, this is not "ghosting" which is currently being phased out on PS4. This is transferring data from one console to clients consoles, with all of them having copy of activated account where games are.

So it is only a matter of time before a modchip arrives with the ability to switch between two "bioses" one cloned and one original...
That was fast.

That'd block it from online. To stop machines getting cloned you'd need an internet check when accessing content.

Thats almost standard on this generation. The PS Store is online, updates are made online, multiplayer is online.

Since games come with lots of bugs, updates are a must these days. If a validation check whenever you are online, you would need to clone the console all over again just to get an update. That means lost saves, and payment for new cloning!

And if detected cloned consoles get locked, people will soon loose all interest in the process.

And a modchip would not work here. According to what I read, the HDD content is lost when activating the cloning method, and when restoring the console.

Yeah, this is not "ghosting" which is currently being phased out on PS4. This is transferring data from one console to clients consoles, with all of them having copy of activated account where games are.

Yes... all of them sharing the account of the original console. So it seems easy to detect if consoles get online. As for offline, some kind of check on the NAND status must be made. Or maybe Sony can force an online verification before allowing writes!

This method only works with digital games, right? In the worst case just stop selling full digital games online. At least disc-based games are very safe.

Worst solution ever.
Yes I agree, it's worst solution for the worst case. But if we consider that digital full games (60 dollars) only account for 15% of total full-game sales, then it becomes possible to stop selling digital full games if pirates can' be stopped because the loss from pirates may be more than 20%.

Of course I wish these pirates can be stopped by easier ways^^.

Where did you get that statistics? I'm curious if it's for whole world or focused on some places.

For example, in developing countries, piracy can easily spread and accessible through shopping malls

Yes I agree, it's worst solution for the worst case. But if we consider that digital full games (60 dollars) only account for 15% of total full-game sales, then it becomes possible to stop selling digital full games if pirates can' be stopped because the loss from pirates may be more than 20%.

Of course I wish these pirates can be stopped by easier ways^^.

THey'd be better off accepting piracy and continuing to sell digital games. Digital games are 15% of sales now (not sure where this number is from), but it is the future of distribution and it will shift that way over the course of this generation. A console that completely removes the option to sell digital titles is a huge negative.

I haven't run across an exact description for the process. Does it involve physically soldering something to the debug ports of the PS4's NAND chip and using the Raspberry Pi to dump out the contents, then doing the same thing on the target console to rewrite the flash?

It seems interesting that Sony would keep certain console-specific keys in a physically accessible device, whose contents can be readily dumped and overwritten.

Future levels of integration with 2.5D or some kind of on-die or stacking solution might make this increasingly difficult to pull off.

Back