Raytraced Voxels? Voxlands.

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter

This game is a free proposal that you can download without spending a cent. Voxland is defined as a great mix between Minecraft and Fallout, as it allows players to build, craft and destroy the landscape to have the best chance of survival. However, in this game swords, bows and axes are not built, but to combat threats there are firearms such as machine guns and explosives, more like Fallout.

Haven't downloaded it yet, but judging from the video, some moments left me awestruck. Maybe it's just that I never heard of raytraced voxels til now.

It looks like we never had a Teardown thread on B3D.
is Teardown raytraced? The trailer -fun one tbh- don't mention anything about that and after watching it twice I didn't notice any raytraced effects-. edit: RT seems to be working in some of the trailer scenes but appears to be off in others.

The game looks really fun, I added it to my Steam wishlist. Teardown reminds of how I think in real life about how difficult is to create things but how easy it is to destroy them.

Last edited:
It is, there are some good breakdowns (also check the links at the end) explaining its tech.
starting to give it a read. It's a weird RT game judging by the trailer you shared, 'cos some scenes show the game is clearly raytraced, but others scenes make me doubtful like when there is a explosion in the dock, the water doesn't reflect the fire of the explosion, unless I am missing something.

However, when there is a car crossing a wooden bridge, the whole scene seems to be fully raytraced, as there are the lights in the trailer during some scenes.

Out of the notable ones there's also John Lin's (pseudonym) path-traced voxel engine, apparently called Voxely. He hasn't shared a thing about his work on the engine or the game since 2021, though... well, other than assuring that it's still being worked on.

voxels have a very unique look and lighting (a bit like Nintendo games for some reason), and judging from how well Voxlands is running on my A770 with RT on at 3840x1080 -ultrawide- in native resolution (though the game has a FSR2 option), I wonder why this kind of engine isn't more popular and any AAA title I know of has tried voxels.

voxels have a very unique look and lighting (a bit like Nintendo games for some reason), and judging from how well Voxlands is running on my A770 with RT on at 3840x1080 -ultrawide- in native resolution (though the game has a FSR2 option), I wonder why this kind of engine isn't more popular and any AAA title I know of has tried voxels.

Because if you want a realistic looking games you need to use really small voxels and RT performance impact balloons massively.

You have to think, how many triangles are there per face of a voxel.

That's why it performs so well with RT on.

starting to give it a read. It's a weird RT game judging by the trailer you shared, 'cos some scenes show the game is clearly raytraced, but others scenes make me doubtful like when there is a explosion in the dock, the water doesn't reflect the fire of the explosion, unless I am missing something.

However, when there is a car crossing a wooden bridge, the whole scene seems to be fully raytraced, as there are the lights in the trailer during some scenes.
i thought it's pretty common for raytracing games to ignore alpha objects cuz they are headaches to work with. i also don't think teardown uses hardware rt, but rather their customized gpgpu voxel tracing solution (maybe some sort of gpu octtree if i had to take a guess). It doesn't necessarily work with no voxel alpha objects

i thought it's pretty common for raytracing games to ignore alpha objects cuz they are headaches to work with. i also don't think teardown uses hardware rt, but rather their customized gpgpu voxel tracing solution (maybe some sort of gpu octtree if i had to take a guess). It doesn't necessarily work with no voxel alpha objects

It's not they that ignore alpha completely, they ignore a lot of it.

Spiderman for example, a tree might have 1000 leaves but the same tree in an RT reflection will only have 100 leaves.

Teardown uses GPU compute which is why it works on GPU's without dedicated RT hardware.

Back