Halo 5: Guardians [XO]

Cove - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5SWD6epuZk

UNSC - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U3jZHNBQrI

A good comparison of weapons sounds from 1-4. I can get behind Halo 3's weapons sounding a bit dull. But I would take a bit dull over the comically insane weapon sounds of 4. Reach, well, reached a level where things sounded really good. Then Halo 4 pops up.

The human pistol ... I burst out laughing every time I hear it being fired in Halo 4. What were they thinking?!? Same with the Battle Rifle. Whoever designed and OK'ed them needs a fish to the face. Yes, fish.

So far, Halo 5 has toned it down significantly. Especially the pistol. It's so much better now. And the Battle Rifle. It all sounds really good. Thank God they listened. I hope they listen to the complaints about the rocket launcher looking like a standard US army bore fest, too.

Some Halo 5 weapon sounds -
Darn, I didn't know it was that bad. The sound is punchier -not that I need, I am myopic but my hearing is still intact-, but they went a bit overboard if you have the originals to compare, gotta agree. Halo 3 sound was a bit poor overall, I think. It sounded more like Lady-gag me than Lady Gaga, so to speak. Talking of overall quality, not the quality of the music, which was good.

But from that video, Halo 3 sounds was more in line with Halo's style and spirit. Halo Reach sounded better than Halo 3, at least to me.

Since the sound issue found by many is seemingly sorted out, my biggest fear now is to get a solid experience overall.

60fps streaming to Oculus Rift?

:runaway: :runaway: :runaway:

Which is funny because I'd rather play the game in the console that stream it to Oculus. o__________O; How weird is that... Also I don't see how the image could be true stereo and immersive.

Darn, I didn't know it was that bad. The sound is punchier -not that I need, I am myopic but my hearing is still intact-, but they went a bit overboard if you have the originals to compare, gotta agree. Halo 3 sound was a bit poor overall, I think. It sounded more like Lady-gag me than Lady Gaga, so to speak. Talking of overall quality, not the quality of the music, which was good.

But from that video, Halo 3 sounds was more in line with Halo's style and spirit. Halo Reach sounded better than Halo 3, at least to me.

Since the sound issue found by many is seemingly sorted out, my biggest fear now is to get a solid experience overall.

Yeah, I found Reach was the best balanced for SFX. Not too over-the-top with the extraneous flapping at every touch of the weapon. I even like the bass undertone they added to the plasma rifle in Reach (that almost no one used). The AR sounded just right.

The only thing I particularly disliked in H3 was the AR - it is shit. p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p. The SMG was a nice upgrade over H2 with a more punchy rapid fire.

I like to call the H4 UNSC SFX, "Liquid Scratch". There's just something scratchy about everything when you hear the metal sliding. The AR is ridiculously bass-heavy, even compared to CE, which still had a pop to it. Here it's just thundathundathunda
thunda cats, ho

And the H4 Covie plasmas.... um... "Flap-crackle-fap, Kellogg's spiz Krispies", like some boxer hitting a bunch of hanging paper over and over. The brute hammer is atrocious.

I'll stop there.

Which is funny because I'd rather play the game in the console that stream it to Oculus. o__________O; How weird is that... Also I don't see how the image could be true stereo and immersive.

I was just kidding really. That'd be a silly thing to adhere their design focus towards. :p

Virtual Couch co-op:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::mrgreen:

Cove - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5SWD6epuZk

UNSC - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U3jZHNBQrI

A good comparison of weapons sounds from 1-4. I can get behind Halo 3's weapons sounding a bit dull. But I would take a bit dull over the comically insane weapon sounds of 4. Reach, well, reached a level where things sounded really good. Then Halo 4 pops up.[/MEDIA]

Holy cow, Halo 4 sounded bad.

Presented with a direct comparison of all games, for the first time in my life, my ears actually cried.

Halo 4 gun sounds, sounded more like they were designed for Quake than for Halo. I always hated the influence some of the former iD guys had on Halo 4 developement (sound and visual design). It's just horrible and so out of place.

IMO - Halo: Reach was the last real Halo game. I'm doing my best to try to forget that Halo 4 ever existed.

Regards,
SB

But the low-res virtual TV you're playing it on could be true stereo and immersive!
After the announcement maybe I am not going to buy a new TV. :)

New Halo 5: Guardians first play article.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jun/12/halo-5-first-play

71a08bde-331d-4526-b07c-9235848f8f3f-2060x1236.jpeg

Spartans Kelly-087, Locke, Tanaka and Edward Buck.

Master-Chief-returns-bigg-009.jpg

<debbie downer> AO/shadow/lighting artefacts,

Who picks these shots! o_O It's not like the game will be supersampled. *grumble* Should have saved SP for conference.

H5-Guardians-Blue-Team-Command-Element.jpg

Gb1Zz5Q.jpg

Last edited:
I am actually morbidly curious what 343i does with H5.

From what I've seen so far, while they may have people who are individually excellent in their respective fields, collectively they seem to be the most clueless group of retards to ever attempt to develop a game. Their efforts to date show they have absolutely no idea wtf to do with the material Bungie created.

Well, better shot aside from the derpy shadow res.

H5-Guardians-Blue-Team-First-Person-Centered-Copy.jpg

I am actually morbidly curious what 343i does with H5.

From what I've seen so far, while they may have people who are individually excellent in their respective fields, collectively they seem to be the most clueless group of retards to ever attempt to develop a game. Their efforts to date show they have absolutely no idea wtf to do with the material Bungie created.
GRUNT.png

Has there been any info about the final resolution they're shooting for? Have they settled on 720p, or was that just an intermediate thing for the beta? Regardless, a 60 fps Halo is gonna be sweet, especially in MP.

Has there been any info about the final resolution they're shooting for? Have they settled on 720p, or was that just an intermediate thing for the beta? Regardless, a 60 fps Halo is gonna be sweet, especially in MP.
As mentioned earlier, the aim is for a hard lock at 60fps with keeping visual fidelity up. Resolution will be adjusted to accommodate in the end. I really don't see this game shipping at 720p, but I won't rule it out either. This would be the second fps at 60fps for Xbox (though not quite 60), and that was 792p IIRC.

60 FPS will allow it to look significantly better when in motion at the sacrifice of potentially lower IQ in still shots. Not to mention the benefit to control response and aiming.

I used to discount the effect of 60 FPS like many console gamers as well until I started playing all my action games at 60 FPS. There's just no going back now. It's absolutely agonizing to play action games at 30 FPS. Both graphically (yuck) and from a control point of view.

Regards,
SB

Yes, but Destiny differs. I have never felt the lack of 60 fps in that game ever! Which seems to point that its more than just 60 fps which we crave, or to put it the other way, its something else other than 60 fps which brings that smoothness f the game. What I love about 60 fps is crispness of the visuals when moving the camera. But somehwo Destiny does something which does not make me go "Yuck 30 fps" when I play it. Bungie knows the trick, whatever combo of controls, response time and movements speeds it is, they know how to do it without 60 fps. The only thingg that game lacks when copared to 60 fps games is the clarity when panning the camera, they nailed the rest without going 60.

Yes, but Destiny differs. I have never felt the lack of 60 fps in that game ever! Which seems to point that its more than just 60 fps which we crave, or to put it the other way, its something else other than 60 fps which brings that smoothness f the game. What I love about 60 fps is crispness of the visuals when moving the camera. But somehow Destiny does something which does not make me go "Yuck 30 fps" when I play it. Bungie knows the trick, whatever combo of controls, response time and movements speeds it is, they know how to do it without 60 fps. The only thingg that game lacks when copared to 60 fps games is the clarity when panning the camera, they nailed the rest without going 60.

That's definitely low input lag. ~100ms in Destiny, lower or equal than some 60fps games:

http://www.displaylag.com/video-game-input-lag-database/

The bad clarity when panning the camera is mostly caused by low quality full screen motion blur, not only because of the 30fps. :cry:

That's definitely low input lag. ~100ms in Destiny, lower or equal than some 60fps games:

http://www.displaylag.com/video-game-input-lag-database/

The bad clarity when panning the camera is mostly caused by low quality full screen motion blur, not only because of the 30fps. :cry:
The best is Killer Instinct at 60 fps... When playing it, it is so smooth.

by the way, why the input lag of the Xbox One version of Destiny is 96ms with an "Excellent" rate and the PS4 version is 107ms with a "Great" rating? Shouldn't they be the same?

Also Halo games from the TMCC have excellent input lag most of all, except Halo 3 with a great rating and 106ms input lag.

Back