What are you playing now? [2023]

Still playing Lies of P. I'm finding Chapter 4 pretty tough. I've never been great at parrying in these games. Still enjoying it though.

I'm alternating with Persona 3R which I think is pretty fantastic.

Also looking forward to Tales of Arise that just hit GamePass.

Started playing Banishers on PC - apart from some slightly klutzy controls it's a pretty good game. I haven't got far into it yet though, just finished my first banishing after the lengthy prologue, so early days.

Got Skull and Bones on PS5 - Actually had quite a lot of fun then I hit a weird ceiling for solo play that basically stops progression. But then I was saved by the Season One release which allowed me to break through that. Yes the controls are awkward, the gxf are a bit naff sometimes but it has potential. Reminds me of Warframe when then first launched.

Gave Helldivers 2 a go - not my kind of game but I did laugh a lot at the beginning so that was worth it. I did get a refund though.

Only thing that’s been able to hold my interest is Vampire Survivors, tried to give AC: Valhalla a chance, but the combat felt so spongey and trash.

After putting it off for years I finally got around to uninstalling the retail version of Deus Ex Human Revolution and replacing it with the directors cut. It looks much better without the "piss filter" and properly supports super ultra widescreen

I am finally playing Monster Hunter World: Iceborne. So great to be back into hunting Monsters! Game is still as good as before.

I am playing Tekken 8 and Shenmue 1 remastered.

Tekken 8 is the most fun fighting game I ve played in ages. But the ranking system is super broken and doesn't make sense. It punishes you severely if you lose against a higher rank compared to a lower rank, and rewards you more if you win against a lower rank. 🤣

Shenmue is an interesting piece of gaming. The story execution suffers. Presentation has always been a weak point for Sega whereas innovation has been top notch. Dialogues and voice acting are amusingly funny and repetitive. The story though is brilliant and isn't complimented properly by stiff animations, stiff facial expressions and bad voice acting.

Sound was most likely reused from the original Saturn version. Polygon numbers are also extremely low. Comparing this to RPG's on the PS2 shows a big gap in the execution. Pacing is crazy slow which requires patience and is a victim of trying to be a cinematic experience and less of a game. I think that the game would have been more fan as a click and play game like Full Throttle and less of a 3D RPG. It has all the elements. Very likely the game was hindered by time pressure and having it's main foundation built on Saturn. I wonder how 2 compares.

The gameplay is a mix too. For a game in it's time I understand that it was a revolutionary cinematic experience. The game guides you in every step to the point where you aren't feeling that you are playing. There are no XP points or fights I can choose to pick by my own desire so far. I can teach my character new moves as I meet new friends. Losing just takes you exactly back at the start of a fight. Not sure if something changes later. Gameplay is scripted to tell a story mostly. It reminds me too much of The Order 1889. Controls are sluggish too

Regardless, this as a project that begun as Sega Saturn title and as a first attempt to create a living world with emphasis on story telling is a first. The world is alive with dynamic time, shops literally opening and closing in real time, their owners leaving or taking a break, weather changes according to the actual date/in game season, and festivities being present in accordance to the date. It was revolutionary and complex for something released back then and I can appreciate it as a great relic of history.

It is Abit ironic though that at the same time it set a template for game design which is criticized today by many. Little in terms of meaningful gameplay, very scripted and too many QTE. This was the first game I ever seen with QTE back in the day and I was very impressed back in the day with the cool cinematic action. I can't say I appreciate it though much now. The game's design was built around cinematic story telling obviously that no other game has ever attempted. It probably served as an inspiration for many modern games.

I wish though that Sega had the budget and time to refine this with more meaningful gameplay and proper presentation. Because underneath it's flaws there is a gem.

Last edited:
Over 200 hours now in Tears of the Kingdom. Still plenty to do....

Also getting back to finishing Metro 2033 Redux(Ranger/Survival) on occasional nights I want a bit of a horror experience.

Horizon: Forbidden West.

Considering all the praise it gets for the graphics is looks bang average at best and every bit of the PS4 game that it is at it's core.

Textures are average with quite a lot of poor textures, the geometry in a lot of places is very low.

And then there's the lighting, which is so poor and basic it looks like a 2013 game, I don't know if playing Alan Wake 2 and CP2077 with path tracing has made more sensitive to light leakage but it can be bloody awful.

I even checked if I had it cranked up to max settings and it indeed was, when it came out I said that A Plague's Tale: Requiem was a better looking game and it is by far the better looking game.

The game is desperate for some ray traced GI and shadows.

Screenshot 2024-03-22 220438.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-22 214628.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-22 214817.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-22 212450.jpg

The terrible platforming killed Lies of P for me so I deleted it.

GP is a firehose of content in 2024.

I'm currently drowning in games, but alternating between Persona 3 Reload, FFXIV, Diablo IV, and soon Tales of Arise.

Dragons Dogma 2 is eating quite a lot of my time now. Decided to explore as much as possible with the first playthrough. Playing this on the portal is so cool.

Have Rise of the Ronin installed and have played the introduction - this will be next on the list.

Stellar Blade is pre-ordered.

PC wise, slowly making my way through Banishers but I have just bought a Rog Ally and a Leveno Legion Go to accompany my Steam Deck. Just testing those out before they live on the shelf with the rest ofmy collection.

Still on Dragon's Dogma 2. As great of a game that I hoped it will be. I already maxed out a couple of vocations, as they really made it now simple and easy to flip around and play with different classes/playstyles. I do like that all of the classes that I tried out so far seem quite strong and valuable and can properly beat all content so far (Fighter, Warrior, Thief, Archer, Magick Archer, Mystic Spearhand).

Although all classes are "strong enough" for all contenct so far, there are some clear S-tier DPS vocations when I play them: thief is one of those and the magick archer as well. I am currently playing the mystic spearhand - dmg seems ok (nothing special), but it has a skill that makes yourself and all the close party members invincible (a shield). This seems to be a very weird choice in my opinion, as this class weirdly enough is the best tank in the game with this single skill. If I take care for the duration of the shield, there is no damage to me or my party members - even when fighting dragons.

The biggest problem I have with this game is that there are indeed so many cool skills for each vocations that it really hurts my sould that I can only equip 4 of them. Many of them look so cool and this game is expert level achievement in cool/funny unique combat experiences that one always thinks "shit, now in this situation I could really use this cool skill - but I have not equipped it this time". I wish we have 8 active weapon skills!

I am at the last mission apparently, but am wondering around the world and trying out different vocations - I wonder how the Warfarer feels, something I wanted to try out.

I'm slowly making my way though CP2077 and recently played the level where you have to help the Osaka guy get aboard the float during the parade.... Holy sh1t! The graphics on display there are absolutely phenomenal. Easily far and away the best I've ever seen first hand. It reminded me a bit of the opening parade level of Rifts Apart which is also beautiful, but this is on an entirely different level. It did tank my 4070Ti into the 20's with FG at one point but damn it was worth it!

Back