Halo 5: Guardians [XO]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Alucardx23, Nov 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

I'm a straight forward man - physical non-naked Cortana was sexy. Time to get working on some Arbytana fan fic.

Good idea! Get looking for some mechanics based fun to cleanse the palette....

2. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/summer-sizzle

3. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

i'm pretty pumped for this. Looking forward to seeing what H5 will become. Curiously I assume there won't be DLC, so they are making a Halo 6. Which is sort of disappointing, H5 multiplayer is really good.

4. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Halo 5 improvements for OneX detailed: 4K, high resolution textures and assets and limited HDR.

Yes you’re right. You’ll definitely see significant benefits from running on HDR sets, and of course the game itself renders in 4k and takes advantage of higher resolution textures (will be a serious download) and assets, but HDR specifically was tricky for a couple of reasons specific to H5 – the first being of course that it’s two years old and it’s not just a switch – you have to “touch” all the content. The game was developed during the period HDR systems were still being ironed out. Even now there’s a bunch of 10 bit/Dolby Vision etc issues for consumers.

This was largely resolved in time for Halo Wars 2, and so the HDR implementation for that will be full since the game was built from scratch to support it.

The second – and from my perspective more important aspect is that Halo in particular has color symmetry on level designs as an aspect of balance and matchmaking. One side is blue and one side is red, often in fairly subtle ways. We already balance for that difference and applying changes retroactively would be a test issue at a grander scale than many other games. So we made the choice to concentrate on other IQ aspects for the update.

Obviously that won’t be an issue for future titles, since they’ll be targeted for those systems in the first place and the art, test and design processes aligned.

And besides, it looks very pretty anyway.

There ARE methods for just blanket applying HDR to extant content, but the results are mixed and really dependent on what the underlying material looks like. So we developed for a conservative and safe outcome for that particular software.

http://wccftech.com/halo-5-xbox-one-x-update-343-textures-no-real-hdr/

RootKit likes this.
  5. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

BRiT and Silent_Buddha like this.
  6. higherARC

Newcomer

Can not wait to see how Halo 5 looks on Xbox One X :)

RootKit likes this.
  7. Johnglen

Newcomer

Maybe it’s because the difference between the Xbox one and the Xbox one x is much bigger than the difference between the PS4 and the pro but I can’t wait to play so many updated games on the Xbox one x, with halo 5 (along with FH3) being on the top of the list. My biggest problem with halo 5 visuals was the resolution so I really can’t wait to see how it will look at 4k and with enhanced textures .

Cyan and RootKit like this.
  8. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

when the MCC came out I experienced a similar feeling with Halo 4 because of the enhanced framerate. The game looked fine, in fact it was, imo, the best looking Halo in the X360.

RootKit likes this.
  9. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran