Halo 5: Guardians [XO]

I couldn't care less about media hype. Advertising and PR are what they are - there to decide purchases for people who can't think for themselves, and there to be ignored by anyone who can think for themselves.

'Living up to the hype' is a nonsense term IMO, as each individuals anticipation and acceptable quality levels are different. 'Living up to the hype' implies that the Advertising and PR folk decide how excited we should be and how satisfied we should be by the end result.

My own personal hype (I should probably use the word 'interest' instead) levels are rising for the game because it sounds like 343 are not afraid to progress the Halo formula, and it needs a bit of a shake-up in my opinion.

You say that but you aren't likely to see many franchises with the ability to support $40, $50 to $100 million dollars in development cost per title based simply based on support from word of mouth.

Advertising and PR drive sales and is the reason most high profile titles get about as much marketing dollars as they do development dollars. Advertising and PR folk do not get to decide how exited any of us should be, but their work is an essential part of how much anticipation is generated through out the market.

What would you interest be if there were nothing and then one day you walked into gamestop or look on the Xbox Marketplace and there was Halo 5 on the shelf? Hard to have interest in a title you don't know exists.

Because in the end, its all marketing from the announcements, news, interviews, previews, betas, screenshots, gameplay videos to commercials. Some of it can be unsavory at times (pushing high profile crap) but the market wouldn't exist without it.

screenshots looks decent, not better than KZ shadowfall......

It's less powerful hardware and also targeting 60fps and 4 player co-op.

That said, it probably was not a good idea to unveil anything SP until E3. I don't see how PR could have thought it would have been a good idea at all. A corridor that looks like it's taken from Halo 4? Umm.... did the PR guy even play Halo 4 to make the connection?

It's less powerful hardware and also targeting 60fps and 4 player co-op.

That said, it probably was not a good idea to unveil anything SP until E3. I don't see how PR could have thought it would have been a good idea at all. A corridor that looks like it's taken from Halo 4? Umm.... did the PR guy even play Halo 4 to make the connection?
Very true, but then again, with the case against the downgrades argument, I could see them going another direction and just keeping it real.

Halo 3's engine was perfect for ODST. The city palate takes tremendous advantage of Halo 3's expensive material model, and the ultra high-contrast lighting is dependent on the large dynamic range. Even the damage indication systems get in on the action, using the gamma-correct blending to create some of the only full-screen blur in a game of that era that I actually like to just look at.

Yes. Yes. YES.

ODST is an outstanding game with a fantastic look.

Not hyped about it being a squad based game. The only squad that ever mattered was Arby and Chief. Or the ultimate Squad of One: Arby.

Am hyped about Linda, Fred, Buck being back.

Oh god, please don't fuck this up 343 ....

Very true, but then again, with the case against the downgrades argument, I could see them going another direction and just keeping it real.
I was thinking their conference stuff would be much bigger scale at least. ;) If showing off campaign bits was that important for pre-E3, they might have just picked the usual hero poses, but the view weapon I've seen is pretty poorly chosen with the derp dynamic light coming up from.. uh... below.

The only squad that ever mattered was Arby and Chief. Or the ultimate Squad of One: Arby.

hm... Arby's marketing deal. "We have the Elites."

"Chief Eats Arby for breakfast"

Also in-game Arby hat. $4.99

....stahp o_O

Apparently Gary Whitta had a hand in writing the story for Halo 5.

Gary collaborated recently with Microsoft's 343 Studios, acting as story consultant to help create the in-game narrative for Halo 5

Hard to glean much from those screens, and most are multiplayer.

I had forgot the whole 60 FPS thing in my whole Halo 4 is gonna look amazing narrative. That could put a damper on things. Hope it's not 60 FPS for single player at least.

Because in the end, its all marketing from the announcements, news, interviews, previews, betas, screenshots, gameplay videos to commercials. Some of it can be unsavory at times (pushing high profile crap) but the market wouldn't exist without it.

Sure, I understand the business case for PR, but being a tech-based forum I'd expect people here to be able to see through all that noise. ;-)

Yuck. Graphics and thus mainstream interest automatically just dropped 50%. I understand some sort of need for MP but not SP.

Naughty Dog smartly abandoned their 60 FPS pledge on Uncharted 4 almost as soon as they made it, infamously saying getting it to run 60 FPS is "really f-ing hard". http://www.gamespot.com/articles/getting-uncharted-4-to-run-at-60fps-really-f-king-/1100-6425090/ I was expecting 343 to do the same wishy washy thing for campaign. But leave it to 343/MS to screw up and deprioritize graphics, kind of the actual story of xbox one and why it's being outsold 2-1 worldwide.

1080P is a pipe dream now for sure...I guess dumbed down graphics at 900P ish is the best to be hoped for.

Last edited:
Yes. Yes. YES.

ODST is an outstanding game with a fantastic look.

Well I dont want to create yet another spinoff thread so I'll tread carefully, but ODST/3 look like Xbox 360 games plain and simple and no getting around it. You can talk about the atmosphere all you want, but it distract a lot from the experience for me (just as Halo 4 great visuals added a ton to that game in and of themselves).

Yuck. Graphics and thus mainstream interest automatically just dropped 50%. I understand some sort of need for MP but not SP.

Naughty Dog smartly abandoned their 60 FPS pledge on Uncharted 4 almost as soon as they made it, infamously saying getting it to run 60 FPS is "really f-ing hard". http://www.gamespot.com/articles/getting-uncharted-4-to-run-at-60fps-really-f-king-/1100-6425090/ I was expecting 343 to do the same wishy washy thing for campaign. But leave it to 343/MS to screw up and deprioritize graphics, kind of the actual story of xbox one and why it's being outsold 2-1 worldwide.

1080P is a pipe dream now for sure...I guess dumbed down graphics at 900P ish is the best to be hoped for.
Nothing is written in binary stone yet. The dream is still on.

And 900p is not a thing anymore. Nowadays it's either 1080pr or at least dynamic 1080p ;)

Graphically it looks very underwhelming, geometry density is nowhere near KZ SF. If the final game runs at 720p/60fps I hope they at least get some fancy lighting in. Then of course I'm just here for the story, not really into MP so it might not be a great concern for others.

Back