Microsoft Xbox Reveal Event - May 21, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me it looked like MS is pouring an order of magnitude more money into the entire Xbox One project. There may be similar spendings on the games but they aim far, far higher than Sony is with the PS4, and some of the tech and business steps they've managed to take are seriously impressive.

I can't argue with that.
It seems that this is their way of getting into our living room.

But I wonder if the things it can provide, are US only, (does the rest of the world have cable, or is it required?) and personally, I wanted to see more games.

listening to the software engineering that is going into this I do not see how PS4 can have nearly the OS features as this... could be huge to the average users..

YEa yea yea "for NA/ , Europe, offline players screwed... blah blah blah...

this gen is probably going to be 10 years /the cloud computing. a lot will change world wide by then, we are not just talking about what's up now.

But this is important aspect...this was a pure US show today, not a good way of presenting something for world wide market. I mean...nearly 10min for NFL exclusive deal, really?!? No one cares for NFL...except jokers wife!

Cloud computing is totally unrealistic in any kind of near-term timeframe, the creaky internet infrastructure in large parts of the US - one of the most developed countries on earth - will make sure of that. Add, even worse situation globally, people using overloaded cellular networks with hundreds of ms latency, data caps capping out etc. You literally CAN'T build your game to rely on cloud computing when you can't rely on cloud computing, so right now this is just MS hype to hype up something that does not exist and in fact cannot exist right now except for people living in densely populated urban environments.

The new kinect sensor undressed nekkid looks really intriguing. Looks like there's three fat bigass IR LEDs sitting on the middle of the circuit board. Really really huge dies, biggest mofos I've ever seen actually, and three of them. Seems they've abandoned the pinprick pattern approach, and instead strobe the lightsource and measure time-to-target to measure depth.

listening to the software engineering that is going into this I do not see how PS4 can have nearly the OS features as this... could be huge to the average users..

YEa yea yea "for NA/ , Europe, offline players screwed... blah blah blah...

this gen is probably going to be 10 years /the cloud computing. a lot will change world wide by then, we are not just talking about what's up now.

The PS4 can't do what? Swap fast between apps/tv or the Cloud thing? I fail to see where the PS4 shouldn't be able to do Cloud stuff like the One, it is afterall in the cloud. But the Cloud thing will really, and i mean REALLY have to take off with mind blowing need games.. Thing is, we have cloud now, we have had those clouds for.. well a long time, and the chance to use it on the PC games and PS3/XBOX 360 has been there for a long time as well.

But of course, it will play right into the hands of Simcity 5 the ONE version :)

With 8GB memory the number would be a "bit" higher then:)

Anyway, with 100W SOC it looks like a 7770..90 vgleaks design. The layout of the pcb doesn't really look in any way packed. Maybe all about spreading heat. I'm really underwhelmed about this.
So maybe you are putting other things higher than they are?

I can't argue with that.
It seems that this is their way of getting into our living room.

But I wonder if the things it can provide, are US only, (does the rest of the world have cable, or is it required?) and personally, I wanted to see more games.

Yes, we do have cable and IPTV. In fact IPTV is getting more and more popular as people go for one-stop-providers (IP phone, DSL/Cable, TV etc in one deal).

The weak part about US companies, incl. Apple, that due to the lack of a single market for content (those bloody rightsholder, who mostly protect the rights of US media companies btw) all those extra services (Netflix, MLB, NBA, Amazon etc) don't mean a thing in most countries.

I'm a little unclear as to why one would need three operating systems rather than a single operating system with a competent scheduler, honestly.

Edit: I guess it makes it easier for three separate teams to put their own software into the same box, but..

"Over time, your box gets more and more powerful" he says, as it relies on exterior servers.

Lots of data center talk here -- the big focus for the One is on making the data flow quickly and seamlessly through the console's various components

He's talking about Hyper-V and RemoteFX and how some of that virtualization tech is being used in the Xbox One. "These are not things that if you look out across CPU, GPU and I/O that you see out there... This is a first."

from engadget feed

OK, prior to this I wasn't considering buying a new Xbox, but now I am. Some comments.

2x wireless 802.11n transmitters. They are definitely serious about the connected nature of the box.

Cloud system. MMO's, already leverage gameplay remotely. Even action MMO's which includes shooters. If ALL gameplay (AI, etc.) can be run from the internet well enough for an FPS, cloud computing certainly should be leverageable by game developers for small chunks of a game. Remember, unlike something like Gaikai, there is no latency spent for video encoding.

One simple thing I could think of is an open world game where a developer could have far more AI controlled NPCs to make the world feel more alive and less empty. AI that can be significantly more varied and robust due to not competing for computing resources that a game would need for actual gameplay. Gameplay affecting, no. Game changing with regards to immersion and removing virtually empty open worlds that we've had up until now? Possibly. Imagine being in New York City or Paris or Tokyo and having the streets filled with people all run by a relatively robust AI. Something that is absolutely impossible to do even on a massive PC featuring a Core i7 at 3+ Ghz. But certainly possible if you can leverage cloud computing.

Of course, anything that makes extensive use of cloud computing will need an online connection. But that's no different than MMOs which both consoles will have. As I've stated multiple times already. Both PS4 and Xbox One are going to have games that require an online connection in order to play.

Also, I'm not sure why people think Europe is necessarily out of it. What if Microsoft has a partnership formed in Europe with FIFA similar to what they have in the US with the NFL? There's nothing that says that Microsoft can't partner with internet TV providers in Europe.

Oh speaking of Comcast. People do realize that a lot of what Comcast has available is available to be accessed online and not just through a physical cable connection? Which means that if Xbox One is able to leverage that, then nothing prevents something similar with regards to TV in Europe, Asia, or wherever.

Also interesting that Xbox One actually does have multiple OSes with each running in its own VM.

Regards,
SB

Well, Boyd (who I always thought was just a little creepy) did go into the VM architecture a bit.

Oh of course, I enjoyed that part.

But what the internet forum warriors want to hear from architecture panel is the raw system specifications.

I'm a little unclear as to why one would need three operating systems rather than a single operating system with a competent scheduler, honestly.

Edit: I guess it makes it easier for three separate teams to put their own software into the same box, but..

My interpretation is that games and apps are sandboxed.

A bit complicated software engineering if you ask me, though the overhead of virtualization is not that much these days. As a console needs stability, it ensures that the OS keeps running when a game crashes or screw up. On the other hand, you can do this stuff also at the hardware level (MMU, semaphores etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back